Press Release WHV Press Release: Supergirl (1984) (Blu-ray)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 10.26.37 PM.png

SUPERGIRL (1984) NEW 2018 1080p HD MASTER
Run Time 125:00
Subtitles English SDH
DTS HD-Master Audio 5.1 - English
ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 2.4:1, 16 X 9 WIDESCREEN
COLOR
BD 50
Special Features: The Making of Supergirl Vintage Documentary; Commentary by Director Jeannot Szwarc and Special Project Consultant Michael Bosco; Theatrical Trailer (HD); Extended Cut in Standard Definition on bonus DVD

Ilya and Alexander Salkind continue to bring the lore and legend behind the World’s Greatest Super Hero to the big screen in this follow up to the beloved Christopher Reeve series of Superman films, starring Helen Slater (in her screen debut) as the sensational Supergirl! While Superman grew up believing himself “The Last Son of Krypton” another part of his home planet survived, Argo City, home of his uncle Zor-El (Simon Ward) and his wife Alura (Mia Farrow). Saved by the wizardry of Zaltar (Peter O’Toole) and the Omegahedron, Kara comes of age as a Kryptonian when a disaster whisks the Omegahedron to her cousin’s planet, Earth. Dispatched to rescue it from the clutches of the evil sorceress Selena (Faye Dunaway), Kara must tackle a steep learning curve so that she can pass the test as both mild-mannered school girl Linda Lee and the Maid of Might, Supergirl!
This special edition of Supergirl presents the film’s International Cut, remastered in High Definition for Blu-ray along with the rare Extended Cut in Standard Definition on a bonus DVD.

Thomas T

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Supergirl??? For real? Warners when will we get all those classic Joan Leslie and Jack Carson movies locked in your vaults? For shame! JUST KIDDING! Just thought I'd start the whining before somebody else did. I'm really thrilled about this one. Pity the extended cut is only in SD but I'll take it!

Perene

Auditioning
Real Name
Perene

From @ShellBeacher

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/warner-archive-collection-podcast/e/55455427?autoplay=true

"The guys at Warner Archive in the first fifteen minutes here detail and summarize the Supergirl release. They do argue again that they invested significantly in attempting to find a version or any film elements from the so-called 'Extended Cut', but could not."

Difference between versions:

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=1539

- Even if it was possible to put the extended cut in HD quality, I looked into this better and perhaps seamless branching is IMPOSSIBLE or at least it does look like that way.

In both I.V. (international version) and D.C.:

At 3:46 min. - 4:11 min.

Before Kara enters the class room the DC features the teacher asking the kids a question. Kara then sits down next to the kids. In the IV she can be seen walking around the room again, while the DC includes a kid answering the question first.

In the international version:

- At 03:20 we can hear in the background, while Kara is walking:

- Who knows... (the teacher is speaking).

At 03:26 she stops speaking while Kara enters and says "sorry"

In DC:

- We don't hear the teacher in the background. The score plays instead.

Also check these:

55:32 min. - 55:37 min.

Another shot of Selena saying: "Shade Plants?". The following take including "To us!" has been expanded in the IV by the sentence "And the seeds we plant together". Both versions are in synch again after Ethan collapses due to the magic potion.

Runtime: 5 sec., IV 1 sec. longer.

In a few other moments the international version is LONGER. That means when we watch the Director's cut and its additional 15 minutes this is not the WHOLE MOVIE, some bits are missing.

Also there's this fact about the DVDs (note that Warner only released for the 1st time years after Anchor Bay 2-disc limited edition):

- Note that the Warner Bros. release includes an edited version of the audio commentary from the Anchor Bay release. All comments about Anchor Bay are edited out.

It's safe to assume these edited commentaries are in this Blu-ray, too. Unfortunately audio commentaries are rarely subtitled, so I can't tell offhand what exact sentences were removed by Warner.

Bill Waits

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
magicman
If the film material doesn't exist to create a new scan of that version, what else should they do?
I'm sorry, but I just don't buy it. They had the material previously, and released it in anamorphic widescreen, which means they had all of the source material available for HD. Prior to DVD, film handling and storage wasn't as detailed oriented as it started becoming with the advent of DVD, and since there have been no reported fires or other catastrophic disasters, those HD elements to produce the extended cut is there.

Will Krupp

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I'm sorry, but I just don't buy it. They had the material previously, and released it in anamorphic widescreen, which means they had all of the source material available for HD. Prior to DVD, film handling and storage wasn't as detailed oriented as it started becoming with the advent of DVD, and since there have been no reported fires or other catastrophic disasters, those HD elements to produce the extended cut is there.
While Warner finally got the 'rights' to SUPERGIRL after a protracted legal battle, they were limited in the physical assets still in existence. The so-called director's cut was ONLY given to them in the form of the standard definition DigiBeta tape of the Anchor Bay release. That's ALL they have. They even looked at the Studio Canal holdings and no other version could be found that they could lay hands on.

Reactions: Peter Apruzzese

Sam Favate

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Finally watched this today with the kids, who are big fans of the current TV show. They enjoyed it. I hadn't seen it since I saw it in the theater in 1984. I didn't remember virtually any of it. Helen Slater makes a very good Supergirl, and it's nice to see Marc McClure, but Peter O'Toole and Faye Dunaway just weren't given a good enough script. I get that O'Toole is the wise old mentor, but does he have to go through the movie in a cardigan sweater? The script is the biggest flaw. With a better story, we'd be able to forgive the low budget. Still, it was a fun movie, for what it is.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lozovoz