What's new

WHV Press Release: Singin' In The Rain 60th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
651980ee_51ePpaUq0uL._AA300_.jpeg

“Singin' in the Rain'' is a transcendent experience, and no one who loves movies can afford to miss it!”

- Chicago Sun Times, Roger Ebert

SINGIN’ IN THE RAIN 60th ANNIVERSARY

THREE-DISC ULTIMATE COLLECTOR’S EDITION

New Limited and Numbered Blu-ray™ & DVD Pack

Includes 4K Feature Scan and New Documentary Presented in High Definition on Blu-ray

All-new Collectible Memorabilia with 48-page Hard Cover Book with New Photos, Memos and Promotional Art Reproductions

Plus Collectible Full-Size Umbrella

July 17 from Warner Home Video

606d1e21_a7200b4b_a.gif

Burbank, Calif., May 14, 2012 – On July 17, the musical treasure Singin’ in the Rain ends an 18-month moratorium to celebrate its 60th anniversary in harmonious high style with the debut of a three-disc Ultimate Collector’s Edition Blu-ray & DVD Pack from Warner Home Video. The beloved film, with memorable songs, lavish routines, and Gene Kelly’s eponymous song-and-dance number was WHV’s first title to receive their “Ultra-Resolution” process. Now 10 years later, for its 60thanniversary Blu-ray debut, Singin’ in the Rain has been refined even more with a 4k scan of the Technicolor 3-strip negatives and a new DTS-MASTER (uncompressed audio). AFI’s “#1 Movie Musical [1] will be offered in a new limited and numbered gift set edition with four hours of bonus content and will be beautifully packaged and ready for new generations of fans to enjoy. The Blu-ray & DVD Pack will be priced at $84.99 SRP. A single disc Blu-ray will also be available for $19.98 SRP and a Two-disc Special Edition DVD for $14.96 SRP.

"Sixty years ago, no one dreamed that we would still be watching Singin’ in the Rain in 2012. But here we are with a beautiful new 60th anniversary digital restoration on Blu-ray. Gene would be very proud,” notes Gene Kelly's widow, film historian Patricia Ward Kelly.

Singin’ in the Rain, set in the days of Hollywood’s transition from silent films to "talkies," continues to this day to provide pure cinematic entertainment. It stars Gene Kelly at the pinnacle of his career and co-stars Debbie Reynolds, Donald O'Connor, Cyd Charisse, Jean Hagen and Rita Moreno. Written by legendary musical “book” writers Betty Comden and Adolph Green, Singin’ in the Rain was helmed by legendary directors Gene Kelly and Stanley Donen. The film was nominated for two[2]https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&view=bsp&ver=ohhl4rw8mbn4#1374b71ca974a4e1__ftn2Academy Awards ® and has been ranked as one of the Top 10 Greatest Films of All Time by the AFI and Entertainment Weekly, among others. The film will also be celebrated on Friday, July 13 with a special screening, including a personal appearance and commentary by Mrs. Kelly at the new Warner Bros. Theater in the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History as part of their “Advent of Sound” Film Festival[3]. For more information visit http://bit.ly/A3gozA.

Singin’ in the Rain 60th Anniversary Ultimate Collector’s Edition will include a brand new documentary, Singin’ in the Rain: Raining on a New Generation, presented in high definition on Blu-ray. In addition to another half-dozen vintage special features, this new edition will be presented in a 48-page hard cover book, with never-before-seen production memos and photos. It will also contain reproductions of the original theatrical posters from the film’s premier and a full-size commemorative umbrella (dance in the rain at your own risk!).

Singin’ in the Rain 60th Anniversary Edition Special Features

§ Singin’ in the Rain: Raining on a New Generation: All-new Documentary presented in High Definition on Blu-ray
§ Commentary by Stanley Donen, Debbie Reynolds, Donald O’Connor, Cyd Charisse, Kathleen Freeman, screenwriters Betty Comden and Adolph Green, filmmaker Baz Luhrmann, and film historian Rudy Behlmer
§ Great Performances: Musicals Great Musicals: The Arthur Freed Unit at MGM, a 1996 PBS documentary about the career of producer/songwriter Arthur Freed
§ The Making of Singin’ in the Rain
§ You are My Lucky Star: Outtake musical number
§ Nacio Herb Brown/Arthur Freed Film Excerpts (a collection of 12 film clips from earlier films with Freed/Brown songs
§ Scoring Stage Session Cues
§ Stills gallery
§ Theatrical trailer

Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.

SINGIN’ IN THE RAIN 60th ANNIVERSARY

Street Date: July 17, 2012

Order Date: June 12, 2012

Run Time: 103 minutes (feature only)

3-DISC ULTIMATE COLLECTOR’S EDITION

BLU-RAY + DVD COMBO

Catalog # : 1000273693

$84.99 SRP

1-DISC BLU-RAY

Catalog #: 1000275066

$19.98 SRP

2-DISC SPECIAL EDITION DVD

Catalog #: 1000273873

$14.96 SRP

Academy Award(s)® and Oscar(s)® are both registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Blu-ray Disc™ and Blu-ray™ and the logos are the trademarks of Blu-ray Discs Association

Warner Home Video Blu-ray Discs offer resolution six times higher than standard definition DVDs, as well as extraordinarily vibrant contrast and color and beautifully crisp sound. The format also provides a higher level of interactivity, with instant access to extra features via a seamless menu bar where viewers can enjoy features without leaving or interrupting the film.

About Warner Home Video
With operations in 90 international territories, Warner Home Video, a division of Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Inc., commands the largest home entertainment distribution infrastructure in the global video marketplace. Warner Home Video's film library is the largest of any studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Video and New Line Cinema.

Real Name
Ransom Stoddard
Drop that stupid umbrella and make the price point more acceptable Warner. Paying $44.99 each for Citizen Kane and Casablanca was already pushing it.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
At least they are releasing a 1-disc blu-ray at a reasonable price.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I totally forgot about those moratoriums - has it been 18 months already? I remember reading that WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE being included on that moratorium list. Hopefully it's still coming.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
So, a whiz-bang expensive collector's edition. Check.
A low-priced single-disc edition. Check.
Why no middle: 2-disc Blu-ray edition with all on-disc features and no DVD or swag?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Originally Posted by GlennH /t/320716/whv-press-release-singin-in-the-rain-60th-anniversary-ultimate-collectors-edition#post_3925614
Why no middle: 2-disc Blu-ray edition with all on-disc features and no DVD or swag?

Going by what we've seen in the past, I expect a 2-disc Blu-ray edition to show up as a retailer exclusive (Target or Best Buy) as we near the release date.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I have purchased all of the previous Warner UEs, because I like the printed materials, and the boxes have always been attractively designed with iconic art & typography from the classic films they celebrate. They make great home theater display items.

However, with this release Warner has for some reason abandoned the well-known imagery and logos we've always associated with SitR, and replaced it with this boring, generically "modern" design that has nothing to do with the film inside. The ugly umbrella which looks like a relic from the 60s makes the package even less appealing. This is the first Warner UE I am passing on, with no regret at all.

In other words - Warner, you blew it BIG TIME with this one.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Craig S said:
I have purchased all of the previous Warner UEs, because I like the printed materials, and the boxes have always been attractively designed with iconic art & typography from the classic films they celebrate. They make great home theater display items.
However, with this release Warner has for some reason abandoned the well-known imagery and logos we've always associated with SitR, and replaced it with this boring, generically "modern" design that has nothing to do with the film inside. The ugly umbrella which looks like a relic from the 60s makes the package even less appealing. This is the first Warner UE I am passing on, with no regret at all.
In other words - Warner, you blew it BIG TIME with this one.
Notice they did exactly the same thing with Meet Me in St. Louis, and Camelot. I'm sure there are others. This is a new trend. The days of great packaging and menu images from Warners are over... they've got somebody new over there with the harebrained idea that this will make people think they are like "new." movies.
I will repeat what I've said before. Have you EVER seen one of these "limited edition" ultimate sets sell out? And with the cheesy artwork, why should they? What I do with these things is put the box set into the save section of my cart on Amazon. Every time you click on the cart any changes turn up. Eventually all these box sets come down in price. Depends on how badly you want the movie. I think this will eventually get a 2 disc digibook like so many others. Then one day the box will be like thirty bucks...
Notice the press release doesn't come out and say they did ANOTHER ultra-resolution transfer. And where are the "Warner Night at the Movies" featurettes? WB has dozens of Hollywood/movie themed cartoons and shorts they could have added.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Craig S said:
Going by what we've seen in the past, I expect a 2-disc Blu-ray edition to show up as a retailer exclusive (Target or Best Buy) as we near the release date.
Lets just hope that second disc isn't the DVD edition of the movie. I'd like to have the second DVD disc with the documentary, if possible, with one of these exclusive editions.
Craig S said:
However, with this release Warner has for some reason abandoned the well-known imagery and logos we've always associated with SitR, and replaced it with this boring, generically "modern" design that has nothing to do with the film inside. The ugly umbrella which looks like a relic from the 60s makes the package even less appealing. This is the first Warner UE I am passing on, with no regret at all.
I'm also someone who liked buying the big UEs depending on what was inside and its aesthetics, but I have the exact same turn-offs with this set. I will be buying the 1 or 2 disc editions.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by NY2LA /t/320716/whv-press-release-singin-in-the-rain-60th-anniversary-ultimate-collectors-edition#post_3925648
Notice they did exactly the same thing with Meet Me in St. Louis, and Camelot. I'm sure there are others. This is a new trend. The days of great packaging and menu images from Warners are over... they've got somebody new over there with the harebrained idea that this will make people think they are like "new." movies.
I will repeat what I've said before. Have you EVER seen one of these "limited edition" untimate sets sell out? And with the cheesy artwork, why should they? What I do with these things is put the box set into the save section of my cart on Amazon. Every time you click on the cart any changes turn up. Eventually all these box sets come down in price. Depends on how badly you want the movie. I think this will eventually get a 2 disc digibook like so many others. Then one day the box will be like thirty bucks...
Notice the press release doesn't come out and say they did ANOTHER ultra-resolution transfer. And where are the "Warner Night at the Movies" featurettes? WB has dozens of Hollywood/movie themed cartoons and shorts they could have added.
You are INCORRECT about the press release...it says specifically that the NEW scan is in 4k resolution!! The 50th Anniversary DVD was only 2K, so it WILL be a fresh restoration transfer!!!

John Skoda

Second Unit
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I think ALL of the video content is on the one blu-ray disc. The three discs in the big box package are the blu-ray and the 2 discs that make up the DVD version of the same stuff.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Since I am the first to complain every time Warner announces these collector's sets and does not offer another option for those of us that do not want all the paraphernalia, I will say thank you for finally offering a single-disc version at the same time.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
GlennH said:
I have the feeling we'll get one.....Probably as unannounced Target in-store exclusive at the last minute, like they did with WOz, and then released widely six months later.
It's just too valuable a studio title for them to miss the chance for a corporate merchandiser tie-in.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
This site seems to be the only one that has the single-disc BD listed. Even blu-ray.com only lists the box. Amazon has a place-holder, but without a price or date.
Doug

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield /t/320716/whv-press-release-singin-in-the-rain-60th-anniversary-ultimate-collectors-edition#post_3925693
Since I am the first to complain every time Warner announces these collector's sets and does not offer another option for those of us that do not want all the paraphernalia, I will say thank you for finally offering a single-disc version at the same time.
Seconded!

---------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks