What's new

WHV Press Release: Saturday Morning Cartoons Volume 2 (1 Viewer)

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Originally Posted by Greg Chenoweth

I watched the online preview and it brings up more questions than answers.

Agreed. Isn't the clip of the Joker from Batman & Robin, from 1968?

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Is WHV “Wrong Again” in its initial press release for SAT AM Cartoons Volume Two – just as it was when it first introduced Volume One? Let me attempt to count the ways…

I’ll limit my comments to the sixties set, and let those better versed in seventies cartoons speak to that set.

1: Touché Turtle is on the 60s box – but was never a Sat AM series. Along with Wally Gator and Lippy the Lion, these were weekday syndicated series. As much as I’d like to see Huckleberry Hound, that was also a weekday syndicated series and should not be included here.

2: Though Touché Turtle is on the box, he is not listed among the contents of the list released today. So… either Touché Turtle will be included in error – or the box is wrong and will be revised.

3: Peter Potamus: “Fe Fi Fo Fun” was on Volume One – so it cannot be correct.

4: I can’t be sure, but something smells funny about the Porky Pig Show. “Scaredy Cat” (1948) sounds like it was a little too early to have been part of the 1960s ABC package. “Claws for Alarm” (1954) and / or “Jumpin’ Jupiter” (1955) …the other two components of what I call “The Cowardly Sylvester and Stupefying Oblivious Porky in Danger Trilogy” would likely have been part of The Porky Pig Show. But, I’m not so sure about “Scaredy Cat”.

5: Frankenstein Jr. & The Impossibles: The Shocking Electric Monster, The Bubbler were on Volume One – so it cannot be correct.

6: The Herculoids: The Beaked People, The Raider Apes were on Volume One – so it cannot be correct.

7: Space Ghost & Dino Boy: The Heat Thing, The Worm People, Zorak were on Volume One – so it cannot be correct. That would be a TRIPLE-DIP, counting the Space Ghost set!

8: Magilla Gorilla: Gridiron Gorilla was on Volume One – so it cannot be correct. This would also be a TRIPLE-DIP!

So, consider that Items 3 and 5-8 are clearly duplication from Volume One – and that Items 1-2, and 4 are possible errors as well – and we WILL be seeing a revision of this content list.

And I really want to see more Quick Draw McGraw, so I’m looking forward to the revisions.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by derosa

Agreed. Isn't the clip of the Joker from Batman & Robin, from 1968?

Yes, you are correct. Ted Knight did the voices of the Penguin and the Joker in the 1968 series.

These sets are great ideas and they give reflection for a lot of material that could be used on them. It would be great to see the H-B specials from "The Saturday Superstar Movie" on DVD collection some day.

Aaron Handy III

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Handy III
Originally Posted by Greg Chenoweth

Yes, you are correct. Ted Knight did the voices of the Penguin and the Joker in the 1968 series.

These sets are great ideas and they give reflection for a lot of material that could be used on them. It would be great to see the H-B specials from "The Saturday Superstar Movie" on DVD collection some day.
Actually, it was from the 1977 series (from SMC 1970s Volume 1), wherein Joker and Penguin were voiced by Lennie Weinrib.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Originally Posted by Aaron Handy III

Actually, it was from the 1977 series (from SMC 1970s Volume 1), wherein Joker and Penguin were voiced by Lennie Weinrib.
Yes, you are right... wishful thinking on my part.
Where is the 1968 Batman & Robin series DVD?
The Superman/Aquaman hour of Adventure stuff
has been out, the rest of those filmation cartoons
would be nice!

I just wish they didn't chop them up, it would have
been great to have them in the show format instead
of the syndicated versions.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Yeah, clearly they haven't worked out all the bugs on this. The contents not only don't match the artwork, but they also indicate a lot of duplication from the Vol. 1 sets.

Furthermore -- the majority of the shows listed for the 1970s set are actually from the 1960s.

It doesn't matter, though -- I'm looking forward to finding out what is really going to be on these sets. I would much rather have full season sets or series sets for the various shows, but if this is what's available, then this is what's available.

I'm particularly excited to see the Banana Splits released -- according to the description, it's the first show (or some kind of attempted reconstruction of same) -- which is from 1968 (so of course it's on the 1970s set). Wonder how they'll do with that one. The Vol. 1 sets both had disclaimers about not to expect pristine restoration -- maybe they won't be afraid to give us the complete original one-hour version, which they have in 16mm, with a few skits not seen in syndication, and the original Season 1 opening and closing -- as far as I know, not seen in the United States since 1969. I'd much rather have that than -ahem- just slapping together the first two re-edited Boomerang half-hour cut-downs.

As regards The Porky Pig Show: according to this page, it's show #3, originally aired October 4, 1964. But can we expect any content (apart from the three shorts) that would be different from the show included on Volume 1 (any different interstitials, for instance)?

Mark Y

Screenwriter
There used to be 2 separate syndicated cartoon packages distributed by Warner Bros. in the United States (pre-1990). One was called Bugs Bunny And Friends (100 cartoons) and the other was called Porky Pig And Friends (156 cartoons). This is in addition to the a.a.p. ones which were under separate ownership at the time. The Porky Pig syndicated package was half (78) redrawn colorized Looney Tunes and half (78) post-1948 cartoons which formerly had aired on the Saturday morning Porky Pig Show in the 1960s. So yes, they did air on network TV in the US, but not for a long time.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
If they include the Superman/Aquaman episodes as mentioned, I hope they can include the original Superman/Aquaman Power Hour Introduction that popped up on the internet last year, but was not included on their respective DVD's.

I think that opening is hilarious. So sixties before themes went a bit more "rockish."

Also, does anyone have a guess, when we might hear a more "correct" update on the DVD's contents?

James

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Originally Posted by JamesSmith

If they include the Superman/Aquaman episodes as mentioned, I hope they can include the original Superman/Aquaman Power Hour Introduction that popped up on the internet last year, but was not included on their respective DVD's.

James
That's what i'm hoping for. It's too bad the original theme isn't on youtube anymore,
that poster, whoever he was, had some really great bumpers too. I'm surprised he
hasn't joined any of the forums that i've seen.

Mark Lx

Second Unit
It would be nice if the Road Runner shorts included in the episodes were ones that weren't already released in Looney Tunes Vol.2 (and never will be).

They should lose the DC Superhero crap because there are already 8 releases a week of that stuff. Superheroes - killed comics, killed cartoons, and now killing the action movie.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Mark Lx

It would be nice if the Road Runner shorts included in the episodes were ones that weren't already released in Looney Tunes Vol.2 (and never will be).

They should lose the DC Superhero crap because there are already 8 releases a week of that stuff. Superheroes - killed comics, killed cartoons, and now killing the action movie.
I don't agree with that at all, when you consider that Super Friends and Batman:TAS contributed to a lot of cartoon memories and they do equal a lot of sales. Besides, putting them in the anthologies is a great way to being to expose a new audience to them and boost sales.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
For those who grew up during this time, Super Friends was big. You can't ignore the action cartoons.

Only wish they'd release a "worst of Saturday Morning" with all those hideous cartoons that were based on Sitcoms like the Partridge in the future, the Brady Kids, Laverne and Shirley in the Army, Fonzie and the Happy Days kids, the Dukes of Hazzard.... maybe the could throw in the Ali, Mr. T and Chuck Norris cartoons.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Originally Posted by Mark Lx

If you’re arguing against double-dipping, I might agree… but, otherwise, the Filmation DC Superheroes and the Hanna-Barbera adventure heroes were an integral part of the Sat AM experience from 1966-on!

Give us a Filmation Batman/Superman Hour, or Moby Dick and The Mighty Mightor, or another Herculoids! Just avoid double-dipping, as seems the case with Aquaman and Space Ghost, and the experience remains authentic.

What REALLY doesn’t belong is Anime! Marine Boy was terribly out of place on Volume One and Johnny Cypher will be so for Volume Two. Sat AM in the sixties was Hanna-Barbera, Warner Bros., Filmation, Jay Ward, Total Television, and an occasional other (Linus the Lionhearted, The Beatles, Cool McCool, Spider-Man, etc.) And, from a Warner-produced set, we can only expect the first two and any DC Comics property produced by Filmation. …And, that’s pretty fine with me!

Oh, and superheroes did not kill comics. It’s easier to argue that they SAVED them, in both the Silver Age and again in the eighties. Greed, speculation, price guides with built-in agendas, manufactured collectibles with false values, superstar creators, and bad editors did! …But that’s a topic for another board!

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Joe Tor1

"....What REALLY doesn’t belong is Anime! Marine Boy was terribly out of place on Volume One and Johnny Cypher will be so for Volume Two. ...."
These were distributed by "Seven Arts" (and owned by Warners) and since it's unlikely these would get their own releases, they have to use them someplace.

As for "double dipping", I can see the appeal of doing that to give these sets well-rounded content.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I reviewe the preliminary posting and the shows look interesting, but, what is suprising is their were new ones added like the following:

1. Shazzan
2. Perils of Penelope Pittstop
3. Pebbles an Bam Bam.

What is surprising that there was no jabberjaw or harlem globetrotters or lone ranger or partridge family or continuance of Speed Buggy/funky phantom/Goober and the ghost chaser.

I grew up watching the 1970s cartoons and still looking to get the complete series for the following:

1. New Adventures of Gilligans
2. Jeannie
3. Jabberjaw
4. Speed Buggy
5. Goomber and the Ghost Chaser
6. the funky phantom
7. Banana Splits
8. Skatebirds
9. Shazam
10. Superfriends 1973
11. Herculoids

I am still thinking they are test marketing this released and may start doing the shows individually down the road. It has been almost two years since Hanna Barbera release Josie and the pussycats to dvd, but have not done anything since.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
they put out more Super Friends, the new Jonny Quest, The Jetsons and Richie Rich/Scooby Doo show since Josie & the Pussycats.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
hardly count superfriends/richie & Scooby-doo as part the classic hanna barbera. I am talking more about the years when cartoons were their finest, which was 1966-1975. In you look at that time frame then you will see that few cartoons have been release.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Originally Posted by younger1968

hardly count superfriends/richie & Scooby-doo as part the classic hanna barbera. I am talking more about the years when cartoons were their finest, which was 1966-1975. In you look at that time frame then you will see that few cartoons have been release.
you didn't list a time frame. Super Friends post 75 was better than the first season

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
thanks for the correction!

I just wanted to make a point around wanting to see more classic cartoons released. I like Superfriends 1973 because of Wendy/wonder dog/Marvin. I thought Wendy added something to cartoon.

I also like the older superfriends, except for the number of super heroes that were introduced. I felt the cartoon tried to introduce to many characters.

I miss cartoons like Speed Buggy, Jabberjaw, New Adventures of Gilligan, New Scooby-doo Movies (dvd did not include all the movies), Herculoids, Jeannie, Captain Caveman, Scooby-doo laff olympics, etc. The 1970s were an interested decade to be a kid, especially if you were born in 1964-1974. Cartoons would start at 8AM and go till 12PM. I remember eating my captain crunch cereal and watching cartoons all morning. Once afternoon roll around then I was outside playing.

I have been collecting 1970s cartoons/shows and have almost 35-40 dvds. I am looking forward to this release because shazzan/banana splits is included on the package.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks