1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

WHV Press Release: "Gremlins" and "Gremlins 2"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

Don't feed them after midnight! On August 20, Warner Home Video will release a new special edition DVD of the Capra-meets-Godzilla classic GREMLINS, and for the first time its irreverent sequel GREMLINS 2: THE NEW
    BATCH will be hatching on DVD.

With almost $200 million in box office revenue and $100 million in rentals, the Gremlins films spawned a merchandising bonanza and a generation of fans. Created through puppetry and animatronics before the days of
    computer-generated movie monsters, the vicious but strangely charming creatures ripped their way to a place in America's heart with their love of deadly mayhem and pop culture-referencing shenanigans.

Gremlins: Special Edition - $19.98 SRP (DVD)
    The classic tale of mischievous creatures run amok in a small town, now in a special edition DVD with great extra features including the following:
    · Audio commentary with the cast and director Joe Dante.
    · 10 minutes of never-before-seen footage.
    · Behind-the scenes-documentary.
    · Theatrical trailers and much more.

Gremlins 2: The New Batch - $19.98 SRP (DVD)
    The Gremlins take Manhattan in this rollicking sequel set in a high-rise office tower, featuring the following batch of extras:
    · More than 20 minutes of never-before-seen footage.
    · Audio commentary with director Joe Dante.
    · Music video.
    · Trivia.
    · Theatrical trailers and much more.

2. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

Woo-hoo! Never-before-seen footage (I hope this means deleted scenes), commentaries and affordable too!

3. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Hi,
    Gremlins 1: I hope the never before scene footage includes the Gerald in the bank sequence as well as Kate & Billy discovering Mrs. Deagles plans and Billy being called into Mr. Corben's office after he's late. I've seen pictures of all of these scenes, and as I understand it some or all of them have been included in US TV airings of Gremlins, but I've never seen them myself and I've been hoping for a while to see them included in a DVD release.
    Gremlins 2: No mention of the different "breakdown" scenes in the middle of the film. I hope they include them all in one way or another. If not via seemless branching, then with the cinema version in the film and the video version as part of the extras (it's 4:3 anyway so not much point inserting it into the film instead of the cinema version).
    Or maybe they made a new breakdown sequence for the DVD. [​IMG] I doubt it though, it would have been mentioned in the press release for sure.
    Chris

4. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    Hmmm, note that any mention of aspect ratio is missing from that press release. Surely Warner's not going to issue these "family films" P&S or open matte, are they???

5. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Craig,

6. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I'm all over both of these. I never picked up the first DVD edition of G1, and G2 is definitely a guilty pleasure.

Hope to see Anamorphic Widescreen as the standard on these too! If not, strike my first comment.

7. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Very cool, I will picking up both of these releases. Luckily I never gave in and bought the original Gremlins so this will be a first time purchase as well, geting the film in a proper presentation.

J

8. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

Thanks for the info. I'm *definitely* looking forward to both.

9. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

I would think Joe Dante would let them out open-matte over his dead body!

He was grumbling over the full-frame Piranha release a while ago in an online interview, especially since the liner notes make it look as if it was his choice!

10. Matthew H

Matthew H Second Unit

The Gremlins films are among some of my favorites, so I'm pumped for that release. But if Warner does a P&S only job... [​IMG]

11. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Gremlins are not considered family films. They went to the trouble to make a family friendly edit for it

I see the gag reel is gone. Sigh

12. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

13. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor

14. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

Dante said that they never made a gag reel for Gremlins. He also said that Gremlins 2 will have the 20 minutes of deleted footage and the gag reel. Also, he mentioned that the Gremlins DVD has a second commentary (with him and the crew) which is not mentioned on the press release.

15. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

"Gremlins II" was issued ONLY in widescreen even on VHS, but it still had the "breakdown" scene changed- the laserdisc had the same as in the theaters (this came out right before I started working at a theater; I heard the projectionists just LOVED getting a good scare out of it!)

16. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

Oh yeah!
    I wonder which 'breakdown', theatrical version with Hulk Hogan OR the video version with general gremlin hijinks, will be included in the "Gremlins 2" release.

17. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

GII and Dangerous Liasons are both films I rented on VHS that indicated they were in widescreen (which I was excited about even then) but it seemed like it was only subtle, a tiny portion of the screen at the top an bottom. Does anyone else remember it being this way? Am I crazy? Too much overscan?

Also, I do hope both break sequences are available. Seamless branching would be lovely, but deleted scenes would work for me. Wouldn't be TOO horrible an idea to include a new one for DVD - in keeping with the spirit of the original releases.

18. Larry P

Larry P Stunt Coordinator

gag reel?

19. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    The Bits is saying today that these are both anamorphic widescreen.

20. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I'll be sure to get both of these if WHV puts them out in their OAR. [​IMG]