WHV Press Release: Gone With The Wind 70th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)

RolandL

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong IIRC, BB's price for the Wizard of Oz boxset also came down to the same level in their sale, so Amazon has apparently gone and matched that also.

_Man_
Right now on their web sites:
$42.86 at Walmart
$56.99 at BB
$61.19 at Target

Jesse Blacklow

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
The press release is incorrect. The back cover pics show a mono track, as do the specs at blu-ray.com

Rob_Ray

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Originally Posted by RolandL .

Even though any existing prints, if they survive, have probably turned pink long ago, I'd like to see as a bonus extra perhaps a fifteen minute sampler from this version, as a curio of how I first saw the film as a kid. Now that I know how the film is supposed to look, I'd like to see how, for example, they reframed the opening titles and the various story titles within the film. Even as a kid I always wondered why after the non-sweeping film title faded down, there was a dissolve within the same shot before Clark Gable's credit appeared. It was only ten years later that I first learned that the main title had been replaced.

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
This is one of the few times I don't mind stretching the budget a bit. the current price on Amazon ($46/ $49 with tax) seems reasonable to me for a full port of the DVD SE as well as the inclusion of When The Lion Roars and the CD soundtrack sampler. Hell, that's still a few $ less than what I paid for the bare bones LD set 20 years ago.

Being able to pick up the WoO single disc at Wal-mart was a HUGE boon as I wasn't interested in anything thing in that original set beyond disc 1. And since I didn't get WTLR with that package, I'm happy I won't be paying for overlap.

Didn't think it at the time, but when Warner postponed that LOTR set, it turned out to be the best thing all around. My original WB order got canceled and now I'll be getting just the stuff I was interested in, and getting off MUCH cheaper. Come to think of it, everything I had in that order, including the single disc titles I was able to get cheaper elsewhere despite being able to stack a bunch of coupons with that order.

This feels like a mostly arid Q4 for my tastes in terms of DVD/Bd releases, but I'm greatly looking forward to this one.

dpippel

HTF Premium Member
Premium
Real Name
Doug
I've seen no mention of whether or not Target and Walmart are going to have exclusive "junk-less" Blu-ray editions of GWTW like they did with The Wizard of Oz. Any word?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by dpippel

I've seen no mention of whether or not Target and Walmart are going to have exclusive "junk-less" Blu-ray editions of GWTW like they did with The Wizard of Oz. Any word?
I've seen it mentioned on many sites that Target will have a Movie only blu-ray available and on black friday this, Oz and several others will be $12.99.

dpippel

HTF Premium Member
Premium
Real Name
Doug
Thanks for the info Tony. Searched here and couldn't find any references, and my local Sunday paper Target flyer only lists the big box Blu-ray and the standard DVD. Guess I'll have to check out my local Target on Tuesday. It's not worth saving seven bucks to brave the Black Friday crowds.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Real Name
Tony D.
Well someone at bluray.com is showing the add saying it will be 2 discs.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=80493&page=4

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Originally Posted by TonyD

Well someone at bluray.com is showing the add saying it will be 2 discs.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=80493&page=4

Betcha money that's a mistake in the ad. The camera phone photos posted of the Target exclusive, especially of the back cover, seemed to be for a one-disc set. And note that "The Wizard of Oz" Target exclusive was very clearly labeled as "3-disc" on the front cover. There is no such notation on the Target "Gone With the Wind" Blu-Ray.

However, the 2-disc standard DVD does say it's two discs on the cover:

www.target.com/Gone-Wind-70th-Anniversary-Discs/dp/B002P43DK8

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Adam Tyner has a review of the set (over at that other site...) with a large picture of the packaging. I was going back and forth whether to buy the set or to save money and get the basic release, but that review (and the pics) sold me.
Ordered this from WB this morning.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Well, I'll be getting up early to head to Target just to be on the safe side. If it has 2 BD discs, it'll have all the bonus, and I'll pick it up. If it's just 1 disc I'll wait for a release of the 2 discs without the big box.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Over at bluray.com it has been confirmed that GWTW Target edition is one disc only.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Thanks Matt. I was about to head out and this saves me a trip.

EDIT: Anyone have info on importing either the UK 2-disc (or a Canadian 2-disc if there is one)?

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Brandon,
I heard there was a region free 2 disc from Amazon UK.

Im just gonna ante up for the UC box. I was waiting to hear about a Target version first before making purcahse.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Found the amazon.co.uk link : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gone-Wind-Blu-ray-Clark-Gable/dp/B002CYIR84/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1258481892&sr=8-1

The cover art is about 100x better than the Target exclusive, I'll tell you that.

Scott Merryfield

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
That's disappointing news about the Target release. For $35, I would expect more than a single disc release. When this drops under $20, I will buy it. Until then, there are plenty of other titles to spend money on.

Steve Tannehill

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
It will be $12.99 on Black Friday....

- Steve

Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield

That's disappointing news about the Target release. For $35, I would expect more than a single disc release. When this drops under $20, I will buy it. Until then, there are plenty of other titles to spend money on.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruksartbneha