WHV Press Release: Gettysburg Director's Cut and Gods and Generals Extended Director's Cut (Blu-ray)

cafink

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Carl Fink
I completely agree about theatrical cuts. In my opinion, all DVD/Blu-ray releases should include all the existing versions of a film. Jeff already mentioned the excellent Blade Runner release, which included 5 different versions of the film. Close Encounters of the Third Kind is another great example, with 3 versions. Not every release has to be as great as those two, but if you're releasing an extended edition, at least throw the original version on there, too.

Aaron Silverman

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Gettysburg I can live with -- an extra 17 minutes in a movie that was already over 4 hours long is not likely to make much difference (especially considering that it's a battle movie without a complex plot). But as a general principle I absolutely agree.

The worst ever was Amadeus. The extra 22 minutes or so in the "director's cut" nearly destroys the film. It's nothing more than a curious novelty IMO. I've kept my old flipper DVD of the theatrical version.

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
When I lived in another state, I drove 70 miles to watch Gettysburg during its limited theatrical run. I actually preferred the director's cut of this film so I'm happy with this BRD release.

Crawdaddy

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Reaction score
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

When I lived in another state, I drove 70 miles to watch Gettysburg during its limited theatrical run. I actually preferred the director's cut of this film so I'm happy with this BRD release.

Crawdaddy

I have no doubt that the cuts to the director's cut were made strictly due to time. Once the decision was made to have a theatrical run, Gettysburg simply had to be cut. I remember when I saw it in the theater that I was disappointed that the scene between Lee and Ewell (after Ewell's failure to take Culp's Hill-probably where the battle was lost for Lee) was missing. I still think they could have shortened the film(s) by not lingering so long on repetitive action sequences. No matter how spectacular a battle is; the same sort of shot over and over becomes tedious. Battles do not have to be depicted in real time.

I will be getting both films on Blu. Gettysburg is far superior to Gods and Generals IMO. I will be interested to see if the restored sequences do anyting to improve G & G (I think there were some deleted scenes on the CD soundtrack to G & G which were no big deal). I know Ronald Maxwell claims the film is much better in its uncut form; and indeed, some long films seem draggier after cuts are made. However, I think he made some errors with the film. He did not follow the book as closely as he did Gettysburg and made what was basically a film about Stonewall Jackson. And, he added scenes like Jackson's farewell to the Stonewall Brigade which simply did not need to be there (I don't think it was even in the book).

Still, I am a history buff, and can enjoy both films in spite of their faults. I am very excited about both releases.

Lord Dalek

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Well when you consider this was originally going to be a 3 night miniseries event (270 minutes + 90 minutes in commercial time) it makes sense as to why this film is so bloody long. I'm sure Ted had his reasons, but as a feature its kind of a drag to get through in one sitting.

...Which probably explains why Gettysburg made a killing on home video.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Reaction score
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Steelheart1948

Auditioning
Reaction score
Real Name
Benjamin
Thanks Aaron.

Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

Lord help us, they've tacked another hour onto a movie that was already 3 hours too long?

I don't think he ever got the financing for it. My first thought on seeing this press release is that he's still trying to raise funds. :)

(Would YOU give money to the guy that inflicted Gods & Generals on the world? Then again, Gettysburg was based on an incredible book, while G&G was based on what is by all accounts an inferior sequel written by the son of the original author, so I guess we can't put all the blame on Maxwell. . .)

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RebeccaLawrence