WHV Press Release: Five Long-Awaited Comedies on DVD June 20th

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, May 30, 2006.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Summer Fun Fest from Warner Home Video
    Five Long-Awaited Comedies Available for the First Time on DVD June 20
    A Fine Madness, The Gang That Couldn’t Shoot Straight,
    I Love You, Alice B. Toklas, The Loved One and Petulia

Stars include Sean Connery, Julie Christie, George C. Scott,
    Peter Sellers, Robert DeNiro, Richard Chamberlain,
    Joanne Woodward, Jonathan Winters and John Gielgud.

Burbank, Calif. February 21, 2006 – On June 20, Warner Home Video (WHV) will get summer off to a merry start with the debut of five entertaining comedies, each with a fervent “cult” following, and previously unavailable on DVD. A Fine Madness, The Gang That Couldn’t Shoot Straight, I Love You, Alice B. Toklas, The Loved One and Petulia will each be available for $19.97 SRP. All the films have been newly remastered and are presented in 16x9 enhancement for widescreen television.

A Fine Madness – It’s a certifiable case of a fine madness as genius, poet and carpet cleaner Samson Shillitoe (Sean Connery) and his beleaguered wife (Joanne Woodward) plunge into a series of daffy disasters from which Samson continues to come up smiling. Life takes a turn for the worse when he dallies with the lovely wife (Jean Seaberg) of a scheming psychiatrist (Patrick O’Neal) who seeks revenge by prescribing ‘brain surgery.’ Connery’s charisma is in full force and director Irvin Kershner (Never Say Never Again, The Empire Strikes Back) keeps this satire outrageously funny, which was filmed on location in New York City during the height of the “swinging ‘60s.”

Special Features Include:
    •Mondo Connery (vintage featurette)
    • Theatrical trailer
    • Languages: English & Français
    • Subtitles: English, Français & Español (feature film only)

The Gang That Couldn’t Shoot Straight – The screen version of newspaper man Jimmy Breslin’s best-selling comic novel about a Brooklyn turf war brings together such diverse stars as Jerry Orbach (TV’s “Law & Order”, Crimes and Misdemeanors)), Jo Van Fleet (Oscar® winner as Best Supporting Actress for East of Eden) Leigh Taylor-Young (TV’s “Peyton Place”), Lionel Stander ( TV’s “Hart to Hart”) and on-the-rise Robert DeNiro in his first major screen appearance. The result is a gem of a slapstick comedy about a bunch of wannabe criminals in New York City. The film was a bit ahead of its time, reaching theater screens several months before The Godfather took the country by storm. Now with “The Sopranos” still at the height of its popularity, this laugh-filled satire about Mafia life is ripe for rediscovery on DVD.

•Theatrical trailer
    •Languages: English & Français
    •Subtitles: English, Français & Español (feature film only)

I Love You, Alice B. Toklas – Harold Fine (Peter Sellers) is a dedicated lawyer about to become a more dedicated dropout. Sellers’ unforgettable flower-power performance is in the same league as his Dr. Strangelove and Inspector Clouseau. Director Paul Mazursky (An Unmarried Woman, Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice) spreads good vibes as Harold discovers tuning in and turning on can turn out daffily disastrous. Leigh Taylor-Young and Jo Van Fleet costar in this Age-of-Aquarius time capsule that’s timeless fun.

•Theatrical trailer

The Loved One – There’s no business like the funeral business in this wickedly wacky, resplendently ridiculous farce based on Evelyn Waugh’s macabre comic masterpiece and directed with inspired verve by Tony Richardson (Tom Jones). But the American way of death isn’t the only target. Sex, greed, religion and mother love are also in the crosshairs of its satirical shots, set against the backdrop of 1965 Los Angeles. Robert Morse (How to Succeed in Business, The Guide for the Married Man)) plays a bemused would-be poet who gets entangled with an unctuous cemetery entrepreneur (Jonathan Winters), a mom-obsessed mortician known as Mr. Joyboy (Rod Steiger in an unforgettable, and unexpectedly out of character performance) and other bizarre characters played by a wide array of talented actors such as John Gielgud, Robert Morley, Tab Hunter, Milton Berle, James Coburn and Liberace.

•New featurette Trying to Offend Everyone
    •Theatrical trailer
    •Languages: English & Français (Dubbed in Quebec)

Petulia – A critical and box-office smash upon its initial release, Leonard Maltin touts Petulia as “brilliant and one of the decade’s top films,” awarding it 4 stars. Directed by Richard Lester (A Hard Day’s Night, The Three Musketeers) and set in San Francisco during the ‘60s summer-of-love era, the film tells the story of a recently divorced doctor (George C. Scott) in a relationship with an unhappily married kooky socialite (Julie Christie). As the director zigzags through the flashbacks and flash-forwards, the jigsaw pieces form a celluloid time capsule of life and love. Also starring is Shirley Knight and Richard Chamberlain.

Special Features Include
    •New featurette The Uncommon Making of Petulia
    •Theatrical trailer

June Comedies
    Street Date: June 20, 2006
    Pricing: $19.97 SRP/$14.95 MAP
    The Loved One is in B&W. All other titles are color.

A Fine Madness
    Rating: NR
    Run Time: 103 minutes
    The Gang That Couldn’t Shoot Straight
    Rating: PG -13
    Run Time: 117 minutes

I Love You, Alice B. Toklas
    Rating: R
    Run Time: 94 minutes
    The Loved One
    Rating: NR
    Run Time: 121 minutes

Petulia
    Rating: R
    Run Time: 105 minutes

With operations in 90 international territories Warner Home Video, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, commands the largest distribution infrastructure in the global video marketplace. Warner Home Video's film library is the largest of any studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Home Video and New Line Home Entertainment.

Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.

2. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I've never heard of any of these films before, but 'Petulia' and 'I Love You, Alice B. Toklas' sound like they might be fun.

3. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i have the loved one on tape for about 12 years from tcm.

a fine madness, another one i saw on turner a million years ago.
    i remember being an odd movie for connery, odd in a good way.

cant wait to see them again.

4. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

re: "Petulia ..... sound like they might be fun"

Marco, despite its inclusion in this "comedy" collection, Petulia is NOT a comedy and anything but "fun" (unless you consider wife beating fun). Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic film, one of the best films of the 1960s but it is a downbeat drama. I love Warners to death but sometimes I wonder if the people who put these films together have even seen them!

5. Mario Gauci

Mario Gauci Cinematographer

Marco,

I second Thomas T.'s recommendation of PETULIA (1968) and concur entirely with his assessment of it. I've also watched THE LOVED ONE (1965) and would recommend it as a one-of-a-kind satire with impeccable credentials and a superb all-star cast. On the other hand, THE GANG THAT COULDN'T SHOOT STRAIGHT (1971) is pretty awful from what I recall.

Besides PETULIA and THE LOVED ONE, I'll also be getting I LOVE YOU, ALICE B. TOKLAS (1968) as it's got a solid reputation; shame about the lack of extras, though. I'd like to watch A FINE MADNESS (1966) as well but probably not enough to warrant a purchase.

6. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks, sounds really interesting.

I think Petulia will be a blind buy for me. I'm a huge fan of late-60's/70's 'new Hollywood' anyways. It's my second favorite period of American filmmaking after the "golden age" of cinema.