WHV Press Release: Deliverence 35th Anniversary Deluxe Edition (DVD,HD-DVD,BLU-RAY)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
"An absolutely first-rate piece of movie-making.”
- Charles Champlin, Los Angeles Times

DELIVERANCE
35TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION

Newly Remastered with Remarkable Extras

September 18 from Warner Home Video

Burbank, Calif., June 11, 2007 -- Deliverance – one of the screen’s most powerful man vs. nature adventures that was a motion picture shocker of the ‘70s -- debuts September 18 as a 35th Anniversary Deluxe Edition DVD from Warner Home Video (WHV).

The story of four Atlanta “weekend warriors” who set off in canoes down a dangerous Georgia river and discover a wilderness of terror has been remastered and amplified with remarkable new extras including retrospective featurettes and director commentary. The DVD will sell for $19.97 SRP. It will also be debuting simultaneously in both HD DVD and Blu-ray disc and will be available for $28.99 SRP.

Directed by John Boorman (Excalibur, Hope and Glory) and adapted by James Dickey from his novel, Deliverance was nominated for three Academy Awards® including Best Picture and Best Director. Jon Voight, Burt Reynolds, Ned Beatty and Ronny Cox star as the four friends whose canoeing weekend turns into a horrifying test of survival. Boorman’s taut direction builds the tension and fear to a raging climax, as the men travel way beyond their comfort zone and are forced to face more than they could have ever imagined. Vilmos Zsigmond’s expert cinematography captures the wilderness of forest and river, while Eric Weissberg’s classic musical theme, “Dueling Banjos,” provides a perfect counterpoint to the action.

Special Features

Commentary by John Boorman [Director Boorman takes a journey down the river and discusses the adventures, the team, the controversy and what it took to make Deliverance a classic film.]
Deliverance: The Beginning [Take a historical look at the novel and its adaptation to the screen.]
Deliverance: The Journey [along from the early stages of filming to the creation of classic moments, such as the Dueling Banjos scene.]
Deliverance: Betraying the River [The making of one of the most controversial and ground-breaking sequences in film history.]
Deliverance: Delivered [A reflective look back on the completion of the film, its impact and how the idea for the shocking ending came to be.]
The Dangerous World of Deliverance [The original behind-the-scenes documentary on the difficult conditions and challenges of making this film]
Theatrical Trailer
DELIVERANCE 35TH-ANNIVERSARY REMASTERED DELUXE EDITION
Street Date: September 18, 2007
SD $19.97 SRP; HD DVD/Blu-ray Disc $28.99 SRP
Run Time: 109 Minutes; Rated R
Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.

With operations in 90 international territories, Warner Home Video, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, commands the largest distribution infrastructure in the global video marketplace. Warner Home Video's film library is the largest of any studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Home Video and New Line Home Entertainment.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
There goes the idea for a third controversial classics collection

I still don't actually own this film on DVD. I am glad I waited.

Hopefully this means the SEs for The Candidate, Bonnie and Clyde and Cool Hand Luke are not too far away.

Charles H

Screenwriter
No participation by Voight or Reynolds? Reynolds is like Garbo when it comes to dvd: "I vant to be alone."

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Where does it say that? Aside from Boorman (who is listed for the commentary) I can see no confirmation one way or the other as far as participation goes.

Incidentally, Reynolds was interviewed for the Smokey and the Bandit SE, so you never know.

DexterPQ

Agent
Real Name
Andi
Full uncut?

Did you know, that the old DVD is very slightly cut (~2-3 sec.) in the rape scene?

There is a compare between the DVD and a German broadcast version.
schnittberichte.com/schnittbericht.php?ID=3882 (first 2 pictures)

Video (missing scene is from 0:09 - 0:11)
youtube.com/watch?v=FLTuDeT3mVg

MTRodaba2468

Agent
Real Name
Matt Rodabaugh

Well, there was a topic on here mentioning a 40th Anniversary edition of The Graduate (which I think is being released under Fox/MGM).

Also, in the chats with Warner, didn't they say that they planned on releasing Cool Hand Luke: SE this year, and MAYBE Bonnie And Clyde: SE next year?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Hopefully there's no deluxe "Squeal Like a Pig" edition, complete with a pair of "dem panties."

Sometimes I frighten myself.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison

I'm pretty sure in WHV Chat this year, Warners said all three will be released this year. I could be wrong though.

Glad I can finally find a reason to get off my butt and pick up Deliverance. I always shied away from it in case another edition came out.

Corey

Screenwriter
YAY!!! Finally I can buy Deliverance. I've put off buying it because I knew it would be released this year. Can't wait for SE's of Cool Hand Luke and Bonnie & Clyde.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Y'know, Warner used to be really good at using original poster art for rereleases of library titles. What happened? For those who don't remember the original posters, here's a pair:

I'm partial to the second one personally.

Corey

Screenwriter

That 2nd one would've been great. I hope they use the original artowrk for Cool Hand Luke and Bonnie and Clyde.

george kaplan

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
I do like the 2nd one also. I know it's not pc to say so, but if you knew nothing about the film, and saw that first poster, you might very well draw some interesting conclusions about what kind of film it was.

Eric Peterson

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Although, the cover art is pretty weak, I have to say that the poster is equally weak if not even weaker, so I can see why they went for a whole new design. Unfortunately, they should have spent more time on that design.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bats8711