WHV Press Release: August Musical Movies on DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator

Jul 3, 1997
    Ronald Epstein
    It's summertime, and the viewin' is easy! On August 16, Warner Home Video will street some great titles to sing and dance along with.

First up is The Astaire and Rogers Collection: Volume One – five memorable classics from Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, whose magical chemistry made them Hollywood’s greatest dance duo. Featuring five new-to-DVD titles, The Astaire & Rogers Collection: Volume One includes the critically acclaimed Top Hat and Swing Time, along with Follow the Fleet, Shall We Dance and The Barkleys of Broadway, the couple’s final film together. All five films have been newly remastered and include extensive bonus features such as documentaries, featurettes and commentary by Fred Astaire’s daughter, Ava Astaire McKenzie. The Collection will sell for $59.92 SRP. All titles will also be available individually for $19.97 SRP.

The beat goes on with the debut of a trio of toe-tappers on DVD on the same date: Mambo Kings, ABBA: The Movie and Jamboree..

The Mambo Kings (1992) -- starring Antonio Banderas and Armand Assante as Cuban musician brothers who take America by storm -- debuts on DVD two days before the August 18th premiere of the big new Broadway musical version. Arne Glimcher, who directed the film, directs and wrote the lyrics for the show which stars Esai Morales and Mexican born actor-singer Jamie Camil.

The film is based on Oscar Hijuelos’ Pulitzer Prize winning novel, The Mambo Kings Play Songs of Love, and features performances by top Latin artists, including Celia Cruz, Tito Puente, Arturo Sandoval and the Mambo All Stars. Linda Ronstadt and Los Lobos are among those who provide additional songs for the soundtrack.

This DVD Edition also includes an additional scene with Assante and co-star Cathy Moriarty which was not shown in theatres.

ABBA: The Movie (1977) – Fans of the Broadway musical “Mama Mia” -- which is now in its fifth year in a record 20 cities around the world and has grossed more than $1 billion to date -- will love this DVD.

Academy Award®-nominated director Lasse Hallström (The Cider House Rules, My Life as a Dog, Chocolat) captures an Australian tour of the international singing group who were the musical sensation of the ‘70s. This lighthearted look at the lives of the pop stars takes you behind the scenes and also gives you a front row seat for the down under concerts in all their shimmery-costumed, platform-shoed glory. “Dancing Queen,” “Mama Mia,” “Waterloo,” “Money Money Money” and 15 other favorites are included.

Jamboree (1957) – As soon as the 1955 song “Rock Around the Clock” sounded the opening notes of Blackboard Jungle, others were sure to follow. The real excitement of the musical drama is in the performances by ‘50s rock ‘n’ roll greats: Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, Slim Whitman, Frankie Avalon, Connie Francis, Count Basie and Fats Domino, among others. There are 21 songs in all, with music cued by the era’s top Disc Jockeys, including Dick Clark and Jocko Henderson.
  2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Jul 6, 1997
    Steve Tannehill
    I have some friends who adore Fred and Ginger, to the point of getting autographed pictures and laserdiscs. While I doubt that the laserdiscs will ever be retired, I know for a fact that the DVD box set will be added to their collection. Newly remastered... drool!

As for me... I'll be in line for ABBA: The Movie!

- Steve
  3. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Sep 20, 2002
    I was one of those ignorant pricks who wrote off Astair and his movies, thinking that he was little too nancy pancy for my tastes (I leaned towards Gene Kelly for my classic hoofing appetite). The "Broadway To Hollywood" set has cured me of this ignorance, and I now can't wait to pick up this Fred and Ginger set!

Mambo Kings I remember being a great movie, but it's "Jamboree" that I'm excited about. I've never seen it, but it sounds like non-stop performance clips. This could be a great gem in Warners hands!