What's new

WHV COMIC-CON ANNOUNCEMENT: Looney Tunes Platinum Collection Vol. 1 (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
Yeah, I would call into question the enthusiasm of someone happy at the set because of a measly handful of new-to-home-video shorts (Bonus Shorts do not count, particularly if they're going to be in SD anyway)
There is no reason to believe future volumes will offer more than what this first one does. This series only has value to consumers who want HD versions of the most popular films, and that is clearly the base being targeted. We would know if a true successor to the Golden Collections was coming, and it wouldn't involve anticipation of only a few new films per volume.
Finally, someone with a logical POV. Even if remastered shorts were being released through their Warner Archive, that would be okay, but their priorities are askew and we just get showered with thirdrate Hanna Barbera smegma month-after-month.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Kevin Martinez said:
Yeah, I would call into question the enthusiasm of someone happy at the set because of a measly handful of new-to-home-video shorts (Bonus Shorts do not count, particularly if they're going to be in SD anyway)
There is no reason to believe future volumes will offer more than what this first one does. This series only has value to consumers who want HD versions of the most popular films, and that is clearly the base being targeted. We would know if a true successor to the Golden Collections was coming, and it wouldn't involve anticipation of only a few new films per volume.
Finally, someone with a logical POV. Even if remastered shorts were being released through their Warner Archive, that would be okay, but their priorities are askew and we just get showered with thirdrate Hanna Barbera smegma month-after-month.
Well, I am enthusiastic about this release - for multiple reasons. Yes, I am double dipping on some of my favorite cartoons, but I knew that would happen when I upgraded to Blu-Ray (that's the definition of upgrading - double-dipping). As for new-to-disc titles - that is also a reason. Many of the new titles are ones I've wanted for some time. Would I being getting this Blu-Ray if they had been released separately on DVD, I don't know. At some point I was going to upgrade to Blu, so this forced my hand. As for the other comments in these two posts, they are a bit much. I haven't seen any indication that there would be any SD content in this release, so why speculate that there will be. As for the speculation on future release, that is all it is speculation. There is no basis to make any realistic prediction about future releases - they could be wonderful, or they could be not wonderful. Given the seemingly illogical strategy - no speculation can be accurate. As for us "knowing if a true successor to GC was coming", why would WE know (especially since WHV may not know themselves what direction they are going). We just find things out when they are announced, anything else is unsubstantiated rumor. One other interesting point. A lot of posters refer to the GCs as a good way to release these, and wish the Blu-Ray release mimic-ed them, but that wasn't always the case. I believe if you were to go back into these very forums, you would see many of the same arguments against the first GC as you see against this first Blu-Ray. Over time, we, as consumers (or collectors, or however else you categorize yourself) adapt and accept, and we decide whatever it is, is the best. David

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
The thing that hurts ,is that the selection of cartoons is so poor,at the time of the dvd release someone said these were the cartoons that have been remastered and they were getting to the others ,that made it a little easier to take,But sticking with the the same line up makes no sense,they make it a little better by adding some new cartonns,But if they think the 50's stuff would sell best,do a set of 50's stuff without including the bits of earlier cartoons This set is still Looney Tunes but is a little like getting The Godfather 3 with only a few scenes from the first and second Godfather Films,

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I can understand some of the angst over this release, although I am looking forward to seeing the classic cartoons in hi-def on this release. What I find most annoying is that they have seen fit to pad out the release with the so-called bonus cartoons - are they bonus cartoons because they are not as good as the rest of them? I know that did it in the Golden Collections as well... Overall (as per David's breakdown in past #118) we get 13 cartoons from 1960 onwards, most of which I would say are worthless in comparison to the classic era cartoons. Some of the late 50s cartoons are also pretty awful. So it seems that along with the 'gold' of the classic era cartoons, we are getting a lot of rather ordinary stuff. There are so many more 40s cartoons that could have been thrown in to give this first bluray set a boost and make it more appealing to fans.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
bugsy-pal said:
I can understand some of the angst over this release, although I am looking forward to seeing the classic cartoons in hi-def on this release. What I find most annoying is that they have seen fit to pad out the release with the so-called bonus cartoons - are they bonus cartoons because they are not as good as the rest of them? I know that did it in the Golden Collections as well... Overall (as per David's breakdown in past #118) we get 13 cartoons from 1960 onwards, most of which I would say are worthless in comparison to the classic era cartoons. Some of the late 50s cartoons are also pretty awful. So it seems that along with the 'gold' of the classic era cartoons, we are getting a lot of rather ordinary stuff. There are so many more 40s cartoons that could have been thrown in to give this first bluray set a boost and make it more appealing to fans.
Well, you make good points. Honestly, I'm hoping that this release constitutes just a "sampler pack" for casual purchasers, and that next year they begin chronological releases.

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
This could have easily been a 75 cartoon set. Do the first disc with 25 of the big highlights from the previous DVD's (What's Opera Doc, and what have you) and make the remaining 50 new-to-disc cartoons featuring the best Bugs, Daffy, Foghorn, etc. that haven't been released yet. Then release the other two discs as a DVD, like they ARE doing with Tom and Jerry. But we get this crap because WHV is being run by incompetent foulups.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Traveling Matt said:
Did anyone catch Jerry Beck on Stu’s Show last night? There seems to be very little feedback on the web…
That's mostly because there was very little news shared, though there were some highlights: --Tom & Jerry Golden Collections will be released on both DVD and Blu-ray --Censored 11 still in the pipeline, though not yet sceduled --The Shout! Factory TV Mr. Magoo set is trying its best to be released uncensored. The problem is Classic Media gave them the censored prints, and Shout! Factory is seeking outside collectors and sources for uncensored episodes --Beck warns not to hold any high expectations for the upcoming Herman & Katnip and Casper collections--they will all be from off-the-shelf prints from the '90s Harveytoons TV show --Beck explains that Classic Media will not put any additional effort in remastering or restoring any of its cartoon library--they are available to them, but Classic Media does not want to spend any extra money on its releases. Rocky and Bullwinkle Collections were and exception because prints were handled by the Jay Ward estate. --Shout! Factory will be releasing the theatrical UPA Mr. Magoo shorts in a separate set sometime in the future --Another set of UPA cartoons not released by Shout! Factory is in the horizon. --The target audience for the LT Platinum is Bluray owners, not the owners of past DVDs --LT GC #1 was not mastered in 1080p, but cartoons from GC #2 onward were --Another Super Stars DVD will be released after the Roadrunner one. --Any other theatrical cartoon property owned by WHV depends on the success of this Fall's releases (Beck in Stu's Show: "Warner is holding you hostage!") --Jerry could not confirm if the bonus cartoons were upconverted SD prints or not, but said he will preview this set in the future for any foul-ups (such as cropping for widescreen) I doubt there will be much news about other future of WHV releases until the T&J GC and LT PC is released.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Heck, I'd call that some news. Good to hear WHV at least knows they're not fooling anyone with the Platinum Collections. Thank you Joe!

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
eric scott richard said:
Darn on Casper.
They seemed to know very little about what the Casper collection will be, though Jerry Beck didn't hold much promise for it, since it is being licensed from Classic Media by Shout! Factory. It might turn out a little better than the usual Harveytoons sets

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Ugh, disappointed to hear that the Casper stuff may not be of great quality. Shame Shout! cannot push for something closer to their traditional standards.

As for the LT, well, here's where I stand:

- I've never bought any of the previous collections, given I was busy with the Disney Treasures on an annual basis and I had to choose. So I am actually happy to get them on blu-ray with hopefully some improved picture quality and a great selection.

- There has been much made of 'swag boxes' or the collector's edition. For my money (since it is, after all, my money), I love them. I love getting bonus material like books and reproductions of classic material, both on the blu-rays and in the boxes. It is clearly a matter of opinion and preference, but for me, I'm happy to get all possible bang for my buck.

YMMV of course.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
JoHud said:
That's mostly because there was very little news shared, though there were some highlights: --The Shout! Factory TV Mr. Magoo set is trying its best to be released uncensored. The problem is Classic Media gave them the censored prints, and Shout! Factory is seeking outside collectors and sources for uncensored episodes --Beck warns not to hold any high expectations for the upcoming Herman & Katnip and Casper collections--they will all be from off-the-shelf prints from the '90s Harveytoons TV show
Does anyone know what the use of 1990s prints means for Casper? According to TVShows on DVD (http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/New-Casper-Cartoon-Casper-Collectors-Edition/15646), the release is supposed to include the 1960s New Casper Cartoon Show. I do not know anything about the 1990s Harveytoons show, did it use vintage material? As for Magoo, what is up with that? I would think that Classic Media at least would have uncnsored prints of Magoo's original run. It is nice Shout will release the theatrical cartoons though.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
--Tom & Jerry Golden Collections will be released on both DVD and Blu-ray --The target audience for the LT Platinum is Bluray owners, not the owners of past DVDs --Any other theatrical cartoon property owned by WHV depends on the success of this Fall's releases (Beck in Stu's Show: "Warner is holding you hostage!")
Excellent! WB makes this release for Blu-Ray people only, not for all of the previous customers who are waiting for more, but if we don't buy this new set, then don't expect more. Thank You for all of these excellent options WB. :( I'll take my chances and assume that I'm not going to every own anymore Looney Tunes than what I currently have! :( By the way, I am a Blu-Ray person, I'm just not going to upgrade everything and the current offering in no way entices me to upgrade/replace.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I hope the Casper set is better then rumoured as far as the theatrical shorts are presented, I'm buying the set for those, the TV eps are a bonus.

I'm going against my gut and picking up the basic Looney Blu. Warner's continue to loose face with me, going from one of my favourite studios to one I seem to be consistently disappointed in.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
From BluRay.com http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=7396

Warner Home Entertainment has quietly announced the Blu-ray release of Looney Tunes Showcase: Volume One on their publicity website.

No details have been released about the Blu-ray set. Warner has not yet confirmed any information about the disc's technical or supplementary specifications, nor has the studio given any concrete indications about the actual content included in this first volume of the Looney Tunes Showcase series.

It is possible that the Blu-ray is a value-priced selection of cartoons from the upcoming Looney Tunes Platinum Collection: Volume One - when Warner Home Entertainment would issue the expensive Looney Tunes Golden Collections on DVD, the studio would also put out a corresponding (and much cheaper) Looney Tunes Spotlight Collection abridgment - but again, nothing has been confirmed.

Warner has currently set the Looney Tunes Showcase: Volume One's MSRP at $24.98 and listed a street date of January 10th, 2012.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks