What's new

WHV Announcement: Warner to offer Blu-ray combo packs on all new release titles (1 Viewer)

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong

IMHO, if they want to coherce DVD consumers to go Blu, seems like maybe they should start by giving BD the leg-up on release dates before going whole hog w/ no more DVD-only releases. If the Harry Potter BD combo pack came out a whole month before the DVD-only version (especially if the DVD came out *after* the holiday shopping season), that might've pushed a lot of folks to go Blu w/out as much potential backlash me thinks -- I gotta think they'd get some consumer backlash if they just go whole hog right away.

That's an excellent point. I guess my biggest beef is that there is still a DVD-only release, but no Blu-Ray only release. For those that have already made the switch to Blu, the added value of throwing in the "older" technology is going to be next to nothing for many people.

One can also look at it from the perspective of someone skeptical to Blu-Ray - "Gee, this Blu-Ray thing must really be struggling - why else would they throw one in for free with my DVD."

Granted, it's tougher to entice many people to a new format based solely on the promise of better audio/video quality. DVD was a no-brainer compared to VHS because of the "special features" that really added value to the DVD. With most of the special features a wash between DVD and Blu, and most of the average consumer not concerned with (or knowledgable about) lossless audio and HD video, I can see how it's a hard sell. But IMO, they're going about speeding up adoption the wrong way. A staggered release schedule that favors Blu-Ray would be much more effective, I think.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jason Charlton

That's an excellent point. I guess my biggest beef is that there is still a DVD-only release, but no Blu-Ray only release. For those that have already made the switch to Blu, the added value of throwing in the "older" technology is going to be next to nothing for many people.

I guess my question is: What's the harm? The case doesn't take up any more shelf space than a BluRay solo release would. And I'll get many people like me, who haven't upgraded to Blu on the main set but don't want to buy instantly obsolete titles in DVD, back into the market. The combo packs for "Up" and "Half-Blood Prince", both of which could be had for well under $20, were a key factor in my decision to purchase those titles.

Even for people that have made the switch, having an SD-DVD version can be handy. They're still the only option for portable players, and are great for bringing with you when you want to watch a movie somewhere that doesn't have Blu-Ray.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
How are they wasting your shelf space? The standard two or even three-disc Blu-ray packages I've seen are the same size as a one-disc Blu-ray.

Vincent

Originally Posted by Martin Teller

Thanks for wasting my shelf space, WB. I really wish these "digital copies" would go away. I'd love see the numbers on how many of those things ever get used. I'd be surprised if it was much more than 10%.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Vincent_P

How are they wasting your shelf space? The standard two or even three-disc Blu-ray packages I've seen are the same size as a one-disc Blu-ray.

The three disc packaging (Up, Monsters Inc., etc.) is indeed slightly fatter than a standard Blu-ray case. Really though it's not much of an issue, at least not for me.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Originally Posted by dpippel

The three disc packaging (Up, Monsters Inc., etc.) is indeed slightly fatter than a standard Blu-ray case. Really though it's not much of an issue, at least not for me.
That's actually four-disc packaging; three discs are indeed normal thickness.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
You're right. I stand corrected, and will no longer attempt advanced mathematical operations such as counting before my first cup of morning coffee.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong
IMHO, if they want to coherce DVD consumers to go Blu, seems like maybe they should start by giving BD the leg-up on release dates before going whole hog w/ no more DVD-only releases. If the Harry Potter BD combo pack came out a whole month before the DVD-only version (especially if the DVD came out *after* the holiday shopping season), that might've pushed a lot of folks to go Blu w/out as much potential backlash me thinks -- I gotta think they'd get some consumer backlash if they just go whole hog right away.

_Man_
I'd be curious to see the numbers from the Snow White combo release versus the 2-disc DVD-only release, as it was delayed by over a month. Disney had already been experimenting to some extent with this sales plan by releasing its BD combo sets the Sunday before the DVD release, but I think the Snow White stats would be more telling.

hampsteadbandit

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rob cole
I hope the Blu-Ray prices don't go back up - whether its a Blu-Ray disc (solo) or Blu-Ray /DVD combo

I bought alot of Blu-Ray (21 movies) over the Christmas vacation simply because I was finding Blu-Ray discs at very low prices in many major retailers - for example "Ghostbusters" on Blu-Ray for GBP £6 when the second-hand DVD is selling at £3-4 in exchange shops

many brand new Blu-Rays were selling at GBP £8-10-12 compared to the same titles on DVD for £4-6-8

when a Blu-Ray title is that low in price, its a no-brainer to add to the collection

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This is interesting. Any chance this will be done for TV series?

I rip some DVD shows and movies (that I own, thank you) to watch on my iPod at the gym and on travel. My move to Blu Ray could disrupt this. Do I buy some shows/movies on DVD solely to rip and watch on iPod? But if everything is double-packaged, it's a non-issue.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by DaveF

If not the flipper duo-format, maybe they'll consider including DCs for TV series since the DCs can be more tightly packed onto each disc than regular DVD-Video. Maybe they'd even consider having BD customers just download the DCs instead -- they always make you use some sort of authentication code that requires online authentication anyway.

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
A boy can dream :)

I have some Pixar films with digital download, but I've not tried it yet. Blu Ray TV series with digital download could be a good solution.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jason Charlton

I disagree. I'm an absolute BR convert, but I wish more BRs would include a DVD version. Often I will buy films that I will want to lend to family or friends, but if they don't have a BR Player then that's no good. If there's a DVD in the package, then they can watch that instead. (It's certainly of more use than the digital files, which also involve the inclusion of an extra DVD in the package and which on my part will never ever be used.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks