What's new

WHV Announcement: Tom & Jerry Golden Collection Volume Two (Blu-ray) (DVD) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
UPDATE

The poster above has managed to post the latest news I received from Warner Bros. moments ago.

Here is the situation...

Your questions are not going to be answered as promised.

A Warner Bros. spokesman instead reached out to let me know that the studio has decided to postpone the release. Word for word, what was posted above was the official response I received from a studio representative.

What does this mean? I have no idea. However, if I were to take a guess --- and this merely an assumption --- your concerns were heard loudly and clearly.

I would keep my fingers crossed as well.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I hope it leads to a uncensored set as well, though I suspect it will lead to the set just flat out not happening instead.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Russell G said:
I hope it leads to a uncensored set as well, though I suspect it will lead to the set just flat out not happening instead.
That's the worst thing that can happen and I am hoping it doesn't either.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
This is a fairly smart move for WHV, given that T&J Vol 2 was on track to becoming a PR disaster is it were to be releases as it was. It looks like there is some room to be optimistic here as I was pretty ready to resign those 2 cartoons as officially "banned." I suppose this could go a few ways:

- The two cartoons are re-evaluated and brought back chronologically where they belong.
- The set is announced in the future as blu-ray only to help limit the appropriate audience to collectors.
- His Mouse Friday is deemed inappropriate and that one is removed along with possibly other cartoons.
- This and future T&J Golden Collection is unofficially and slowly killed off as it languishes in development purgatory and indefinitely shelved.
- The set is on hiatus so long that a new video format emerges and the T&J home video project is rebooted as the "Tom & Jerry Platinum Collection"

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Yeah, it looks like it could go either way. It will be interesting to see how this plays out; I don't recall WHV making a move like this before under such circumstances.

Real Name
Luigi Gennaro
Ronald Epstein said:
UPDATE

The poster above has managed to post the latest news I received from Warner Bros. moments ago.

Here is the situation...

Your questions are not going to be answered as promised.

A Warner Bros. spokesman instead reached out to let me know that the studio has decided to postpone the release. Word for word, what was posted above was the official response I received from a studio representative.

What does this mean? I have no idea. However, if I were to take a guess --- and this merely an assumption --- your concerns were heard loudly and clearly.

I would keep my fingers crossed as well.
:) Thanks for the more detailed update, Ron. Let's hope for the best!

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
Traveling Matt said:
Yeah, it looks like it could go either way. It will be interesting to see how this plays out; I don't recall WHV making a move like this before under such circumstances.
Something similar to this happened with the first wave of Looney Tunes Super Stars discs; originally the cartoons were going to be unremastered off-the-shelf copies, but then WHV postponed the release so the cartoons could be restored properly. Popeye V.3 was also pushed back a few months so WHV could do better reconstructions for some of the openings.

I, for one, am cautiously optimistic; saying nothing and releasing the set as is would've been the path of least resistance.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Yes, but those instances didn't result in this kind of backlash.

I think canceling the set would be more like the path of least resistance here; WHV stands much to lose if this is released with missing cartoons.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
They'll just shelve the set and start a totally new series of MGM cartoon disks which will sprinkle "safe" new titles with double dip titles from the first set. That's the way Warner Home Video operates.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
bigshot said:
They'll just shelve the set and start a totally new series of MGM cartoon disks which will sprinkle "safe" new titles with double dip titles from the first set. That's the way Warner Home Video operates.
I've been critical of Warners with this release too but I think it's fair to at least give them the benefit of the doubt until they announce what they're doing.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I'll give WB the benefit of the doubt for now. Hopefully this is positive news.

JJHLH

Grip
Real Name
John
I agree it will be a PR disaster for WB if they release the set with missing cartoons. Hopefully the postponement is an indication that they finally recognize this.

JJHLH

Grip
Real Name
John
I was on Amazon looking at the two photos of the set. On the top of the back cover there is a scene from "Casanova Cat" where Toodles accidentally paints Tom's teeth instead of her fingernails. Tom then smiles and it looks like he has missing teeth. A very funny gag which shows how great this cartoon is. Why in the world would that image be on the back cover if WB intended not to include it in the set?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
JJHLH said:
I was on Amazon looking at the two photos of the set. On the top of the back cover there is a scene from "Casanova Cat" where Toodles accidentally paints Tom's teeth instead of her fingernails. Tom then smiles and it looks like he has missing teeth. A very funny gag which shows how great this cartoon is.Why in the world would that image be on the back cover if WB intended not to include it in the set?
That sounds like a pretty good reason to postpone the release: Change the cover art to reflect the content included.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
If the set's been postponed, why is Amazon still showing the previous street date and accepting pre-orders? Did they not get the memo?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks