What's new

WHV Announcement: Tom & Jerry Golden Collection Volume Two (Blu-ray) (DVD) (1 Viewer)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
QUESTION: Why did WB determine that it must censor and remove Mouse Cleaning and Casanova Cat from T&J Vol. 2 when WB did not censor nor remove any cartoons on T&J Vol. 1?
The offensive content found on Vol. 1 is at least as bad if not worse than the offensive content in Mouse Cleaning and Casanova Cat, so this sudden enthusiasm for censorship by WB does not make sense and seems to contradict the corporate policy that was followed for the releases of T&J Vol. 1, Looney Tunes and Popeye.
QUESTION: Why did WB recently engage in an expensive restoration of Mouse Cleaning from elements recently discovered at UCLA if WB was only going to censor the cartoon?
QUESTION: Why does WB refuse to monetize the assets of Mouse Cleaning and Casanova Cat, particularly the recent restoration assets?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
[color=rgb(0, 100, 0); ]Folks, thanks for the questions.[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 100, 0); ]That will be it for now. I have compiled all of your questions and one of the[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 100, 0); ]suggestions into an email and I am sending it off to Melissa.[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 100, 0); ]I apologize that we couldn't allow more time to ask questions, but one, we[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 100, 0); ]are gearing up for a move in 2-3 days and I want to concentrate efforts there.[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 100, 0); ]Also, it seemed that the important questions and points had been made and[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 100, 0); ]anything further would have just been rehashing the same issues.[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 100, 0); ]I will press Melissa to provide answers as soon as she is able.[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 100, 0); ]Again, no more questions.[/color]

Real Name
Luigi Gennaro
Ronald Epstein said:
Folks, thanks for the questions. That will be it for now.  I have compiled all of your questions and one of the suggestions into an email and I am sending it off to Melissa. I apologize that we couldn't allow more time to ask questions, but one, we are gearing up for a move in 2-3 days and I want to concentrate efforts there. Also, it seemed that the important questions and points had been made and anything further would have just been rehashing the same issues. I will press Melissa to provide answers as soon as she is able. Again, no more questions.
Thanks again Ronald. Let's hope for the best

GregK

Screenwriter
My suggestion would be that of Russell G's, which is simple and effective: Have all of the mostly politically correct content available in the "play all" category, as well as when browsing the cartoon selection menu. Essentially "bury" the politically incorrect cartoons in a special features section, and by all means - keep the disclaimers intact. For the small percentage which may be of concern to the WB, this would take care of the problem. The 'start it and forget it' demographic aren't going through special features. They aren't interested in the history, the cultural differences, back stories etc. And neither are little kids .. they want to see a cat chasing a mouse.. and seeing the cat getting hurt numerous times. Little kids don't care about bonus sections where people talk about topics they don't understand, or discuss history they don't yet grasp. And this is why it is a *perfect* spot to put these still historically significant cartoons. George Santayana in 1952 said" Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it." Let us not make previous ignorances into a fear, or give them a power it doesn't deserve. Instead we should learn from them. We should be so above this by now. As Sean eloquently wrote earlier: "Cartoons do not breed racism, but ignorance does, and with the removal of these shorts, WB is simply enhancing that ignorance, when instead, they could use these cartoons and this release to help educate about racism." Or on the other hand, if one needs perspective on being offended by an animated cartoon, just watch any episode of "The Family Guy", an animated show which runs in prime time, and often earlier in daily syndication. Nothing like a cartoon that almost strives on offending everyone at some point or another. Have the bean counters watch some of the current prime-time cartoons and then reassess their concerns with these vintage titles. In the end WB has a decision to make. They can try to sell/target strictly for kid safe viewing and instead ignore and offend the serious collector, who would be the bean counter's primary target demographic. Or they they can include all of the Tom & Jerry cartoons and keep the collectors happy ..who again are the PRIMARY buyers - something the bean counters should remember. And instead of fretting about the non-PC cartoons, put them in a special section as Russell had suggested. I'm betting that would eliminate 99% of any possible complaints. Consider it a money making formula, WB .. and the right thing to do.

John Weller

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I'd also reccomend making the packaging more subtle - perhaps some sort of abstract art - so it looks less child friendly.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Thank You Ron for your assistance in this matter, i have lone been one to say what needed to happen with Tom and Jerry first on DVD and now this format, and agree about its history, good, bad or indifferent it is what it is, but overall as a society we need simple reminders of how we have progressed, least we end up at a point where someone else is deciding we can have a soda because the think its bad for us, when does it stop.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
dana martin said:
Thank You Ron for your assistance in this matter, i have lone been one to say what needed to happen with Tom and Jerry first on DVD and now this format, and agree about its history, good, bad or indifferent it is what it is, but overall as a society we need simple reminders of how we have progressed, least we end up at a point where someone else is deciding we can have a soda because the think its bad for us, when does it stop.
If you mean NYC, they overturned the law. Word to the wise, Warner. ;)

steevo54

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven Costa
OK, there are people that are saying that you are perpetuating a hoax and that this is untrue. If this is indeed true can you please NAME the representative from Warner Home Video so we can confirm this? This is to DaveK who stated that Warner reconsidered and will be putting these two shorts on Tom & Jerry Golden Collection, Volume 2. We need confirmation from Warner Brothers, not "somebody said something".

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by steevo54
OK, there are people that are saying that you are perpetuating a hoax and that this is untrue. If this is indeed true can you please NAME the representative from Warner Home Video so we can confirm this?
This is to DaveK who stated that Warner reconsidered and will be putting these two shorts on Tom & Jerry Golden Collection, Volume 2. We need confirmation from Warner Brothers, not "somebody said something".
His post has already been clarified as being a misunderstanding.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
steevo54 said:
OK, there are people that are saying that you are perpetuating a hoax and that this is untrue. If this is indeed true can you please NAME the representative from Warner Home Video so we can confirm this? This is to DaveK who stated that Warner reconsidered and will be putting these two shorts on Tom & Jerry Golden Collection, Volume 2. We need confirmation from Warner Brothers, not "somebody said something".
One of the moderators, Ronald Epstein, has given our gripes and questions to a rep from Warner Home Video and she has promised to answer them. We should hear back by tomorrow but there are no guarantees.

steevo54

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven Costa
OK, thanks for the clarification. I read that 'hoax' statement on another website. There is too much confusion over this. Warner brothers is very foolish as they have alienated a large segment of their paying customers over irrational PC concerns. They can do it right, but will they do it? If they hope to have buyers for this set they will. I will not buy it in its incomplete form. Have these geniuses ever thought that some parents may sit their kiddies down to watch the Mel Brooks Warner produced film "Blazing Saddles" and hear the "N word" repeated throughout the film??? Simply unbelievable that a set targeted to adult collectors in censored at all. Volume 1 will be my LAST purchase from Warner Brothers. I don't need censorship from a modern day Josef Goebbels.

John Weller

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I'm of the opinion that a lot of "political correctness gone mad" stuff is actually more "terrified someone might sue". But I've never heard of anyone suing Warners over Tom and Jerry cartoons.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
MHuf said:
Hey guys, below is our official statement. Please know that I am not ignoring your comments and questions. I do not monitor this forum regularly. Perhaps Ron Epstein can collect everyone's questions and email them to me and I'll answer what I can? Ron? Warner Bros. Home Entertainment carefully monitors all content it plans for release. While undertaking a review of "Tom and Jerry: The Golden Collection Volume 2," the company felt that certain content would be inappropriate for the intended audience and therefore excluded several shorts.
Thanks for your input and for setting the record straight. I appreciate it. With all due respect, I'm not buying it. They can shove it.

I'm not buying it either. The audience is primarily collectors. There should be a discussion about these outdated ways of thinking. Sweeping history under the carpet is not a positive way of dealing with it.

Real Name
Luigi Gennaro
John Weller said:
I'm of the opinion that a lot of "political correctness gone mad" stuff is actually more "terrified someone might sue". But I've never heard of anyone suing Warners over Tom and Jerry cartoons.
I have yet to see anyone praising the omission of the shorts on Vol. 2 or criticizing any of the un-PC content already released on Volume 1 (hint, hint, Warners!). Again, WHY in the middle of restoring and releasing the series would they get the fear of getting sued by soccer moms who probably use television as a babysitter when it wasn't meant for them in the first place?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks