What's new

WHV Announcement: Tom & Jerry Golden Collection Volume Two (Blu-ray) (DVD) (1 Viewer)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I don't think anyone blames Mr. Beck. Even though his earlier interviews gave strong indications these two cartoons would be in the new collections, he's more of a consultant than someone directly employed by the studio's home video department. Given his continuing relationship with WB, I'm surprised he actually shared that much on a public forum.
Brandon Conway said:
One other possibility I thought of - the studios can have less than ideal coordination between the authoring department and marketing department at times. It could be that the press release is simply incorrect. It wouldn't be the first time.
That was the hope when Spotlight Collection #3 came out. On that same set, there was also hope that there would be a replacement disc similar to what was issued for Vol #1 & #2 that restored edited and cut content from a few of the cartoons, and that never happened. However with better communication with company representatives nowadays via Facebook and Twitter, hopefully there is a chance that at least one of the cartoons will be put into this set where it belongs. As is, it seems someone at the company really hates these cartoons enough to omit them from a chronological "collector's" set.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Traveling Matt said:
This was suggested in the other thread on this release. I wouldn't agree with it either, and it would not be the way to go. The Censored 11 set should be for the Looney Tunes only. Extras should relate to the eleven films or other un-PC material from Termite Terrace. MGM has nothing to do with it. And it wouldn't excuse the omission of the two cartoons on this set anyway.
If Jerry Beck is right, and it may not be too late, hopefully, they will still fix it. If not, I would rather see them in a Censored 11 set than not released at all. It wouldn't excuse their omission, but it's better than nothing. Maybe they also could include BBNTN and perhaps Unruly Hare, which has been censored, if not for racial/ethnic reasons. It's one of my favorite Bugs Bunny cartoons, and I would love to see it in top form.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I understand that the idea is not to offend; well I as an Adult Collector am offended, at the omission. And not to upset anyone, but if I hear it’s about the kids, not everything need to be tailored for them. That is why there is a rating system.
I had to take a day or so with my frustration of the omissions in the press release, so as to not post hastily. WB had done this more than a few times to the MGM toons, really with the exception of the T&J Spotlight Collection, Chuck Jones T&J, and the Droopy set what they have released from MGM.
Ways to see if there still is a chance or it was an omission in the press release is this forum, WB classic animation Facebook page, and possibly petitions online. What would have been easier for them would have been the inclusion first time around.
These two cartoons do not belong with the censored 11, and as much as those are discussed, they still haven’t made an appearance yet, not sure if they will. I understand these are a product of their time, and considering that these are being released by the Family & Animation Division. That is part of the problem; these should be by the Theatrical Department.
I fear that this trend will continue, other Saturday morning fare has met the same fate, sound removed from Johnny Quest, at what point will the PC police have to stop, does this mean that Christmas releases from family and animation division of a religious nature will be edited to remove God, so as to not offend Agnostics or Atheists?
We need to see if this can be corrected. uncut, un-edited, and chronological, just do it right one time, make the collectors and fans happy.
Originally Posted by Russell G
So now we need some links so w can bitch at Warner's for this dumb decision.
https://www.facebook.com/WBClassicAnimation
trust me, others are upset as well.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
NOW is the time to let our voices be heard to WHV for deliberately omitting these two cartoons from the upcoming TOM & JERRY GOLDEN COLLECTION VOLUME 2. I have been posting everywhere I can about my dissatisfaction on this matter and I will continue to be vocal about it. I deliberately held off on buying Volume 1 because I wanted to make sure this time that it was ALL the Tom and Jerry cartoons. I was right for being skeptical and I will continue to be that way, even if an announcement says that they will be included. I will wait to hear from other fans that VOLUME 2 is really complete and then I will purchase the sets. WHV will be losing money if they keep their plans the way that they are.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ I think you're right about people letting Warners know how they feel but at the same time, it's not like they don't already know. People were mad when they left those two off the last DVD sets so they're well aware but they're choosing to be leave them off because it's easier to let animation fans be mad than run the risk of being branded as racist in the news.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Originally Posted by TravisR
^ I think you're right about people letting Warners know how they feel but at the same time, it's not like they don't already know. People were mad when they left those two off the last DVD sets so they're well aware but they're choosing to be leave them off because it's easier to let animation fans be mad than run the risk of being branded as racist in the news.
really, well i would like to thank them for my Digibook of The Jazz Singer then, the statement of adult colector on the back has no meaning otherwise, i see nothing denoting them as a company; as promotoing a racial sterotype by presenting this as a complete set.

JJHLH

Grip
Real Name
John
I believe the best way to make our displeasure known is to write a negative "review" on Amazon. I normally wouldn't advocate a negative review prior to an item being released, but if this goes through as currently planned it will be too late by then. The time to act is now if there is any hope Warner Brothers may reverse their decision to not include these two shorts. The only thing that will change their mind is customer feedback in ways that count. Amazon reviews definitely count and have the potential to impact sales and hence the company bottom line.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
The Tom & Jerry disks in Germany (probably also UK), have these 2 cartoons on separate disks unedited. These 2 cartoons are not "bad". .Many of the German T&J are edited. I have the T&J issued in the US a few years ago also without these 2 cartoons! Generally the german (and UK) cartoons are not recommended - many are edited.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Damn. It is an absolute shame that Warner Bros is not doing the right thing and apparently has no interest in doing the right thing. Incredibly disappointing after the amazing first TJ Golden Collection.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
From Facebook Friday... "Warner Bros. Home Entertainment carefully monitors all content it plans for release. While undertaking a review of "Tom and Jerry: The Golden Collection Volume 2," the company felt that certain content would be inappropriate for the intended audience and therefore excluded several shorts." https://www.facebook.com/WBClassicAnimation

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Apparently WB did not monitor the release of the first golden collection; that statement is a putrid display of cowardly idiotic beaurocratic claptrap. It's a shame they can't put someone like George Feltenstein in charge of assets like Tom and Jerry and instead relegate these assets to the Keystone Kops division of oversight. No Sale, f***[SIZE= 13px]ers.[/SIZE]

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Traveling Matt
From Facebook Friday...
"Warner Bros. Home Entertainment carefully monitors all content it plans for release. While undertaking a review of "Tom and Jerry: The Golden Collection Volume 2," the company felt that certain content would be inappropriate for the intended audience and therefore excluded several shorts."
https://www.facebook.com/WBClassicAnimation
That's ridiculously disappointing, and a complete 180 from their intentions previously with Vol. 1.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Traveling Matt said:
From Facebook Friday... "Warner Bros. Home Entertainment carefully monitors all content it plans for release. While undertaking a review of "Tom and Jerry: The Golden Collection Volume 2," the company felt that certain content would be inappropriate for the intended audience and therefore excluded several shorts." https://www.facebook.com/WBClassicAnimation
How about they exclude the two shorts from the DVD edition and include on the more expensive Blu-Ray? This way, none of the intended audience is offended. One more reason why Warner really should license out properties they can't manage without making ill advised decisions.

lonoooppp

Auditioning
Real Name
Calvo
Patrick McCart said:
How about they exclude the two shorts from the DVD edition and include on the more expensive Blu-Ray? This way, none of the intended audience is offended. One more reason why Warner really should license out properties they can't manage without making ill advised decisions.
Warner has a new even more PC CEO :f

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
looks like my support of Warner's Bluray cartoon product is at an end. To hell with them, they can keep their Loony Tunes too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks