What's new

WHV Announcement: Tom & Jerry Golden Collection Volume Two (Blu-ray) (DVD) (2 Viewers)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I was friends with Mike Lah, who was Tex Avery's assistant director. He said that the directors hated widescreen at MGM, because their instructions were to keep as much of the important action within Academy as possible. They had to rush the characters' exits and entrances so they wouldn't be outside of Academy too long. He thought widescreen was completely pointless because they weren't allowed to utilize it fully. All that could be out at the edges was background. (By the way, the Academy field didn't necessarily have to be perfectly centered.)

He said that the reason they did that was because at that time they were planning to sell the cartoon library to television, and they didn't want incompatible aspect ratios. Basically, they designed the cartoons for Academy, and then just tacked some extra background on the edges to make it widescreen. Not at all the same as widescreen live action movies that were composed and staged for widescreen from the get-go.

I don't know about Warner Bros, but my guess is that the situation there was pretty similar. I know the WB paper got wider at this time to accommodate the wider field. But that also may have been just a batch bought for Limpett. They used the wider paper on everything, even TV commercials that weren't widescreen.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
bigshot said:
I was friends with Mike Lah, who was Tex Avery's assistant director. He said that the directors hated widescreen at MGM, because their instructions were to keep as much of the important action within Academy as possible. They had to rush the characters' exits and entrances so they wouldn't be outside of Academy too long. He thought widescreen was completely pointless because they weren't allowed to utilize it fully. All that could be out at the edges was background. (By the way, the Academy field didn't necessarily have to be perfectly centered.)

He said that the reason they did that was because at that time they were planning to sell the cartoon library to television, and they didn't want incompatible aspect ratios. Basically, they designed the cartoons for Academy, and then just tacked some extra background on the edges to make it widescreen. Not at all the same as widescreen live action movies that were composed and staged for widescreen from the get-go.

I don't know about Warner Bros, but my guess is that the situation there was pretty similar. I know the WB paper got wider at this time to accommodate the wider field. But that also may have been just a batch bought for Limpett. They used the wider paper on everything, even TV commercials that weren't widescreen.
You seem to be very confused on this issue. While it's true animators would have used wider paper / cells for 2:35 anamorphic Cinemascope cartoons, using "wider paper" for flat /1:85 cartoons would mean that the cartoons would be hard-matted within the 35mm frame, since 35mm film is always 35mm wide, and never changes despite the aspect ratio being projected. You can't 'design for academy' and somehow add side information since there is no extra side information available. Academy takes up virtually all of a 35mm frame, with a small space left for the soundtrack. Since there are no known examples of hard-matted 35mm prints of the various classic cartoons being discussed, the way 1:85 ratios were achieved was by projecting the full 1:33 Academy frame, with the aperture plate in the projector blocking off the top and bottom protected-for-television image to achieve the intended 1:85 theatrical picture. That's how the majority of 1:85 /1:75/1:66 widescreen features were composed and designed.

People forget that while these films are now considered art, in their day they were considered 'product' and filler that was rented out for a simple flat fee of a few dollars to support the main feature. Flat fee rentals severely limited the return studios could make on their investments, which is why animators were always under such restrictive budgets. They certainly were't special enough to be allowed to deviate from the accepted widescreen ratios of the time.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
bigshot said:

Does that just apply to the CinemaScope cartoons? I thought MGM switched directly from Academy to CinemaScope until the studio closed.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Rob W said:
You seem to be very confused on this issue. While it's true animators would have used wider paper / cells for 2:35 anamorphic Cinemascope cartoons, using "wider paper" for flat /1:85 cartoons would mean that the cartoons would be hard-matted within the 35mm frame, since 35mm film is always 35mm wide, and never changes despite the aspect ratio being projected.

Animation paper was generally 10 1/2 by 12 1/2, which roughly corresponds to Academy. Warner Bros had wider paper. MGM might have too, but I've never seen any. I think they just animated within normal 12 field and extended the background and cels to accommodate widescreen. Characters entering or exiting the scene would have just been repegged on pan cels.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Again, though... Mike's point was that the animation studio didn't really care about composing for theaters at that point. They were more focused on being able to sell the cartoons to television.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
bigshot said:
Animation paper was generally 10 1/2 by 12 1/2, which roughly corresponds to Academy. Warner Bros had wider paper. MGM might have too, but I've never seen any. I think they just animated within normal 12 field and extended the background and cels to accommodate widescreen. Characters entering or exiting the scene would have just been repegged on pan cels.

Still confusion for one of us... No matter which aspect ratio for widescreen , be it 1:66, 1:75, 1:85 or even 2:35, the width of the frame never changes. It's always edge-to-edge. With the exception of anamorphic 2:35, the other ratios are all achieved by either hard-matting or cropping information on the top or bottom of the frame. Pan backgrounds were the same as they were used for 1:33 compositions, but the majority of backgrounds would still be Academy ratio. This 'wider-paper' issue makes no sense outside of Cinemascope.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
You are thinking on the film end. The paper they drew on would be fielded in the camera no matter what size it was. If they did a crop top and bottom on standard 12 field 10 1/2 by 12 1/2 paper, they would have to draw the characters much smaller. There's a size that is comfortable to draw characters at. If it gets too small, it's hard to control the line.

How it is oriented on film bears no relationship to how the artists draw on paper, except for the basic proportions of the field, not matter what size it is.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Again... what Mike Lah told me was that they kept all of the important action inside of a standard Academy field and just added background to the edges to fill it out to widescreen. They composed the action as Academy, even though in theaters it was being shown widescreen, because at that time they had their eyes on the future of television, the current theatrical release was secondary. Mike said he wished they had never gone to widescreen.

There was a similar situation on Lady & the Tramp at Disney. They composed the whole film for two completely different aspect ratios. They would adjust the layouts and the pegging of the artwork to slide stuff into field that would have otherwise be cropped out. It was a first class PITA. There are two completely separate versions of Lady & the Tramp... not just two crops of the same film. Disney realized that the cheat Mike Lah was forced to use at MGM didn't really work.

kitt1987

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy
Heck if I remember corrected that as late as 1986, wasn't the animated Transformers Movie animated at full screen but just cropped for its limited widescreen showings? I don't have any hard evidence but I thought I read somewhere that quite a few animated programs meant for theatrical display were animated at full frame but cropped for projection because it was easier and cheaper to do that way?

Real Name
Devin Griffin

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Diablo Griffin said:
This does not appear to be a Blu-ray release.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
noticed that as well, if it was I might gamble and order again, would just like to see this finally finished like WB had originally stated, still open to the idea of this going to Warner Archive blu ray release

B

bodek610

jedi_1 said:
More news about Tom and Jerry Golden Collection v2 prints and Tom and Jerry preservation works!

- About the prints, note that "Heavenly Puss" is the 1960's reissued version, like "Puss N' Toots" or "The Bowling Alley Cat". SuperRTL uses the "Jerry's Diary" introduction to air the T&J Cartoons in a TV package... I can observe that "Jerry's Diary" could be the 1960's reissued version, too. I think that this two cartoons are, surely, the 1960's reissued versions.

Hi I'm from Poland, and I saw some T&J remasters via SUPER RTL (from Germany). Remastered prints of T&J are running also on Boomerang Germany and RSI1 HD (in Switzerland). So interesting, probably "Heavenly Puss" has their original 1949 MGM Lion Logo kept (still reissue print from 60's, but MGM Lion Logo has kept from 1940's season instead of 1960's season one used in "Puss'n'Toots", "The Bowling Alley Cat", etc... Probably the 1960's reissue of "Jerry's Diary" also kept the 1940's season Lion Logo, instead of 1960's one.

Cool_Cat

Auditioning
Real Name
Paolo
Even Boomerang UK for that matter, but I've heard they heavily censored them. The Swiss channel keeps everything uncut, I started recording on it lately.

If somebody from Switzerland has it on cable let me know, I'd like to have all the GC2 prints at this point.

Cool_Cat

Auditioning
Real Name
Paolo
Link for what? They're also on the German Amazon Prime, except 3 of them. I have one of the missing 3 from Boomerang Germany, but the other ones are not aired by the channel due to dubbing issues (Jerry's Diary wasn't dubbed and Little Quacker had so many cuts in the old German print that there was no point in using the dub).

ThadK

Second Unit
bigshot said:

Which must be why none of the Cinemascope MGM cartoons work in pan-and-scan. (Save the first season they shot both scope and Academy.)

Also, why would a studio enforce the use of Cinemascope, a widescreen process that was concocted to directly compete with television, in its cartoons, but also compose them so they'd work for TV? In preparation of a looming TV sale that didn't happen until years after the original MGM cartoon studio closed down? It's all so confusing.

cartoon_fan_kev

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
jedi_1 said:
More news about Tom and Jerry Golden Collection v2 prints and Tom and Jerry preservation works!

First of all, i'm going to put captures about all the MGM's Hanna-Barbera T&J Cartoons aired by SuperRTL on March/April. This prints are the GCv2 prints, all remastered and uncensored.

This is the list and the captures:

* 038 - Mouse Cleaning (not aired)
* 039 - Polka-Dot Puss => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 040 - The Little Orphan (available on Academy Awards Animation Collection - Disc 1: Winners) => Capture

* 041 - Hatch Up Your Troubles (available on Academy Awards Animation Collection - Disc 3) => Capture

* 042 - Heavenly Puss => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 043 - The Cat and the Mermouse => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 044 - Love that Pup => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 045 - Jerry's Diary (not aired)

* 046 - Tennis Chumps => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 047 - Little Quacker (not aired)

* 048 - Saturday Evening Puss => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 049 - Texas Tom (not aired)

* 050 - Jerry and the Lion => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 051 - Safety Second => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 052 - Tom and Jerry in the Hollywood Bowl => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 053 - The Framed Cat => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 054 - Cue Ball Cat => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 055 - Casanova Cat (not aired)

* 056 - Jerry and the Goldfish => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 057 - Jerry's Cousin (available on Academy Awards Animation Collection - Disc 3) => Capture

* 058 - Sleepy-Time Tom => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 059 - His Mouse Friday => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 060 - Slicked-Up Pup => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 061 - Nit-Witty Kitty => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 062 - Cat Napping => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 063 - The Flying Cat => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 064 - The Duck Doctor (not aired)

* 065 - The Two Mouseketeers (available on Academy Awards Animation Collection - Disc 1: Winners) => Capture

* 066 - Smitten Kitten (not aired)

* 067 - Triplet Trouble => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 068 - Little Runaway => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 069 - Fit to be Tied => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 070 - Push-Button Kitty => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 071 - Cruise Cat => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 072 - The Dog House => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 073 - The Missing Mouse => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 074 - Jerry and Jumbo => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 075 - Johann Mouse (available on Academy Awards Animation Collection - Disc 1: Winners) => Capture

* 076 - That's My Pup => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 077 - Just Ducky => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 078 - Two Little Indians => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 079 - Life with Tom (available on Spotlight Collection Volume 3 - Disc 1) => Capture

* 080 - Puppy Tale => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 081 - Posse Cat (not aired)

ALSO!!! SuperRTL aired some rare pan&scan of the CinemaScope T&J Cartoons, using the prints from Spotlight Collection.

* 088 - Pet Peeve => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 089 - Touche, Pussy cat (not aired)

* 090 - Southbound Duckling => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 091 - Pup on a Picnic => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 094 - Tom and Cherie => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 097 - That's My Mommy (available on Deluxe Anniversary Collection - Disc 1) => Capture

* 098 - The Flying Sorceress (superRTL aired the turner print)

* 099 - The Egg and Jerry (not aired)

* 100 - Busy Buddies (not aired)

* 101 - Muscle Beach Tom => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 102 - Down Beat Bear => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 103 - Blue Cat Blues (not aired)

* 104 - Barbecue Brawl => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 105 - Tops with Pops (not aired)

* 106 - Timid Tabby (superRTL aired the turner print)

* 107 - Feedin' the Kiddie (not aired)

* 108 - Mucho Mouse (not aired)

* 109 - Tom's Photo Finish => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 110 - Happy-Go-Ducky => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 111 - Royal Cat Nap => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 112 - The Vanishing Duck => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* 113 - Robin Hoodwinked (not aired)

* 114 - Tot Watchers (not aired)

ALSO!!! SuperRTL aired the CinemaScope version of Pup on a Picnic (at last!!!):

* 091 - Pup on a Picnic => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

Now, I'm going to put a comparison with other pan&scan's. As i used in my last post, this is the code that i use on preservation works:

* A => remastered print (for DVD/BR versions) since 2004.

* B => turner prints (for TV regular emissions) since 1990's until 2000's.

* C => laserdisc/VHS prints (for home video collections) since 1980's until 1990's.

* D => oldest original prints, pre-1980's.

For "Pet Peeve", "Touche, Pussy Cat" and "Southbound Duckling", only the turner prints has a pan&scan, and Laserdisc and oldest prints used the Academy Format. For "Pup on a Picnic", all (Turner, Laserdisc and Oldest) used the Academy Format.

* 094 - Tom and Cherie => Capture-A Capture-B Capture-D (no C-print found)

* 097 - That's My Mommy => Capture-A Capture-B Capture-C Capture-D

* 101 - Muscle Beach Tom => Capture-A Capture-B Capture-C (no D-print found)

* 102 - Down Beat Bear => Capture-A Capture-B Capture-C Capture-D

* 104 - Barbecue Brawl => Capture-A Capture-B Capture-C Capture-D

* 109 - Tom's Photo Finish => Capture-A Capture-B Capture-D (no C-print found)

* 110 - Happy-Go-Ducky => Capture-A Capture-B Capture-C Capture-D

* 111 - Royal Cat Nap => Capture-A Capture-B Capture-C Capture-D

* 112 - The Vanishing Duck => Capture-A Capture-B Capture-C Capture-D

This are my conclusions and some notes that I can watch:

- SuperRTL already had the T&J rights for regular emissions since 2012 or 2013, before all this controversy with GCv2. For this reason, they aired the remastered prints of GCv2 and some of the pan&scan versions of the CinemaScope prints used on Spotlight Collections.

- SuperRTL aired all the cartoons in PAL (european) version, not NTSC version. All my captures are the result of recording this videos with a Scart source (not HDMI source), and this implies analog roise. So, bear in mind that the DVD or BR will have a better image quality.

- "His Mouse Friday" was remastered uncensored, like "The Milky Waif", "A Mouse in the House" and "The Truce Hurts" on GCv1, "The Little Orphan" on Academy Awards, and "Life with Tom" and "Feedin' the Kiddie" on Spotlight Collection v3.

- This makes me think that they (Warner) has already remastered the uncensored versions of "Mouse Cleaning" and "Casanova Cat"... BUT, they are following with the controversy, and at last, they will release the package with both cartoons uncensored (because they want to release the sets with the cartoons in chronological order), so that in the end the fans buy this pack to have this cartoons after much suffering. Maybe this is a marketing campaign. Simply, it not explained why WB remastered Looney Tunes controversial shorts and not T&J controversial shorts. I think this was planned since the Spotlight Collection times, and this is the reason that they finalized GCv1 with "Professor Tom" (the "Mouse Cleaning" predecessor).

- The pan&scan versions of the remastered CinemaScope Cartoons maybe will be used on individual T&J DVD's, but not in a possible GCv3. Note that this pan&scan versions make that the image gets higher resolution. If they release the GCv3, I hope that they used the correct CinemaScope version of "Pup on a Picnic" and not the 16:9 version that used on Spotlight Collection v3.

- About the prints, note that "Heavenly Puss" is the 1960's reissued version, like "Puss N' Toots" or "The Bowling Alley Cat". SuperRTL uses the "Jerry's Diary" introduction to air the T&J Cartoons in a TV package... I can observe that "Jerry's Diary" could be the 1960's reissued version, too. I think that this two cartoons are, surely, the 1960's reissued versions.

- Note that Tom's colour starts to be blue in "Heavenly Puss" and "The Cat and the Mermouse", instead of the grey that we can see on GCv1. I don't know why exactly, but maybe in 1950's reissued prints, Tom began to win a bluish color, and we can see the title of "Blue Cat Blues" referring to this. In the CinemaScope cartoons (none were reissued), Tom recuperates the grey color. Personally, I thought that Tom would have a grayish color.

- Some prints appear "dark", like "Cue Ball Cat" and "Puppy Tale". I don't know why: maybe because the story of this two cartoons elapses at the night, or because are the 1960's reissued versions. But I have doubts and I don't think so. Remember that SuperRTL aired the shorts without the intro/ending cards.

- The version of "Tom and Jerry in the Hollywood Bowl" isn't the original print recovered on the rare "MGM Cartoon Carnival" set. They remastered the 1950's reissued print. I'm sure of it.

- Personally, I would like that they use the 1960's reissued print of "Casanova Cat", because no version of this print was found. Here a comparisson of the B, C, D versions of "Mouse Cleaning" and "Casanova Cat" prints:

* Mouse Cleaning => Capture-B Capture-C Capture-D

* Casanova Cat => Capture-B Capture-C Capture-D

- In a possible GCv3, Will they include the two spin-off's of Spyke and Tyke ("Give and Tyke" and "Scat Cats")? I hope yes, because there are the only MGM CinemaScope cartoons that they haven't remastered yet (next to "Cat's Meow").

* Give and Tyke => Capture-B (pan&scan) Capture-C (letterboxed) Capture-D (scan)

* Scat Cats => Capture-B (pan&scan) Capture-C (letterboxed) Capture-D (pan&scan)

- In a possible GCv4, I hope that they included the Deitch Cartoons, and the Jones Cartoons in Academy Format (not in 16:9), as they did with Looney Tunes Super Stars Hare Extraordinarie and Platinum Collection v1 with Tasmanian Devil shorts. The only Jones cartoon that was included in the Academy Format was "The Cat's Me-Ouch" on Deluxe Anniversary Collection, Disc 2. Also, this Deluxe collection undervalued the Deitch Cartoons... someone understands this???

* Sample of Deitch Cartoon (in this case, "The Tom and Jerry Cartoon Kit") => Capture-B Capture-C Capture-D

* Sample of Jones Cartoon (in this case, "The Cat's Me-Ouch") => Capture-A Capture-B Capture-C Capture-D

- I think that they have no plans to remaster the "Tom and Jerry Show", "Tom and Jerry Comedy Show" or "Tom and Jerry Kids Show". Recently, only Kids Show is being launched on DVD. At most, they will release Show and Comedy Show on DVD with turner prints, as they did on Deluxe collection. Here a comparisson of the preservation of this shows:

* Tom and Jerry Show => Capture-B Capture-D

* Tom and Jerry Comedy Show => Capture-B Capture-D

* Tom and Jerry Kids Show => Capture-A Capture-B (in this case, in Deluxe collection remastered the first episode of Kids Show, "Flippin' Fido", and looks great!)

- I hope that, in a possible GCv4 or GCv5, they remaster "Tom and Jerry The Movie" and "Mansion Cat", both disregarded on Deluxe collection (they could have used the first ten minutes of The Movie on the set). Both need a mastered print. In the case of The Movie, was released on DVD with turner print, but the trailer was included remastered. Here a comparisson:

* Tom and Jerry The Movie => Capture-A (trailer) Capture-B (DVD released) Capture-D (rare version)

* Tom and Jerry Mansion Cat => Capture-B (no C or D prints because this short was made on 2001, in turner era).

- I think WB still continue with controversy of cartoons for some years. When they decide, they will launch a "Complete uncensored and remastered Tex Avery MGM Library", with "Uncle Tom's Cabaña", "Half-Pint Pygmy" and "Garden Gopher" finally remastered (with other), also with the "Censored Eleven" pack. I could be wrong, but they could take advantage of the fear of fans about the plans of not to restore the shorts, and finally, they surprise the fans with the new collections, and fans go to buy.

To conclude the post, I present a capture of some treasures. In 1960's, Jones Team edited some T&J Hanna-Barbera shorts, generally by the same reason that now we have with "Mouse Cleaning" and "Casanova Cat": the controversy of shorts. Jones redraw some cartoons and this prints have been lost over time. Here are a capture of this prints (prints that I think that never will included in a T&J set):

* Dog Trouble (Mommy's edited and redubbed) => Capture1 Capture2

* The Truce Hurts (blackface) => Capture

* Mouse Cleaning (Tom's blackface but not Mommy) => Capture1 Capture2

* The Little Orphan (the knife and Tom's blackface but not Mommy) => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3 Capture4 (this print wasn't released on Laserdisc "The Art of Tom and Jerry" but was released on some VHS of pre-1990's)

* Saturday Evening Puss (Mommy's complete redraw and redubbed by June Foray, like Pet Peeve or Mouse for Sale) => Capture1 Capture2 Capture3 Capture4 Capture5 (this print was released on Laserdisc "The Art of Tom and Jerry")

* Jerry and the Goldfish (including a TV on T&J's house): Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

* Nit-Witty Kitty (Mommy's reprint as white Mommy): Capture1 Capture2 Capture3 Capture4

* Triplet Trouble (Mommy's reprint as white Mommy): Capture1 Capture2 Capture3 Capture4

* Push-Button Kitty (Mommy's reprint as white Mommy): Capture1 Capture2 Capture3 Capture4 Capture5 Capture6

* Missing Mouse (possibly violence or maybe a new gag): Capture1 Capture2

Also, there are some T&J segments of a few seconds that Jones Team drawed for CBS emissions since 1965 to 1972. Here a sample of one of this segments: Capture1 Capture2

Finally, some personal conclusions about Tom and Jerry works:

- In the preservation works, I prefer this order of the prints: D > A > C > B. We all grew up watching the turner prints aired on Cartoon Network, but I think this prints were created to avoid damaging on original reels in the regular TV emissions. The laserdisc/VHS prints looks better than turner prints, but maybe the format makes them look worse. And I prefer D prints versus A prints, because this gives meaning to the preservation: in the future, only the A prints will survive, in HD or 3D releases, but D prints (you can see the Jones editing for example) are lost over time.

- In Tom and Jerry works, I think that "any past time was better". The Hanna-Barbera cartoons are the best, without question. Also, Deitch/Jones cartoons are better than later shows. Maybe Deitch imitated better the HB style that Jones, who used his own style. The two classic shows are better that Kids Show or the Movie, "Show" continued the Jones desings, and "Comedy Show" used a similar Deitch style. Kids Show and the Movie redefined T&J, creating a kid version and a "talking" version of characters. Mansion Cat and KarateGuard recuperated the 1970's and 1950's style, and there are better than Tales of the New 2014 Show.

- Personally, I love Deitch cartoons, sometimes even more Jones cartoons. I love "Tall in the Trap" (written by Tedd Pierce), "The Tom and Jerry Cartoon Kit" and "Carmen Get It". Also, I love "The Cat Above and the Mouse Below" and "Cat and Dupli-Cat", both directed by Jones.

- Personally, I prefer "The Mansion Cat" to "The KarateGuard", "Comedy Show" to "Show", and "The Movie" to "Kids Show". But I prefer every classic to the recent WB creations called "Tom and Jerry Tales" and "Tom and Jerry 2014 Show".

- The WB Era is the worst T&J era. Only for the creation of "The KarateGuard" and the remasterization of the cartoons. But "Tales", "2014 Show", and the "direct-to-video movies" since "The Magic Ring" are miscreations of the T&J's art. Maybe "The Looney Tunes Show" worked well (after failures of "Loonatics Unleashed" of "Duck Dodgers"), but I think that "Tom and Jerry Show" format will never work with a non-speak characters. It's my opinion.

And this is all for now. SuperRTL will back to aired T&J since May 31 (here is the broadcast: http://www.wunschliste.de/serie/tom-und-jerry), remember that you can see SuperRTL online in streaming if you want to see this remastered prints.

Greetings and See you soon!!
Where did you get the LD print from the Deitch cartoon? I thought Gene Deitch T&J weren't released on LD.

Cool_Cat

Auditioning
Real Name
Paolo
The Deitch shorts were released on the Japanese "Tom and Jerry and Droopy" LD set. It's extremely expensive. It goes for like 700 dollars most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks