What's new

WHV Announcement: The Best Years of Our Lives (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Robert Crawford said:
RAH, Is there problems with Goldwyn film library elements like the RKO one?
No problems of which I'm aware on the Goldwyn library. Extraordinary library, and generally superb source material.RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert Harris said:
No problems of which I'm aware on the Goldwyn library. Extraordinary library, and generally superb source material.RAH
Thanks for the clarification as I thought I read a long time ago about some film element problems with it.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
RAH, when exactly was the original negative lost? Decades ago? Just a few years ago? I'm sorry to learn that.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Now available for preorder

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

...oh, and never have seen this film but loving the remarks
all of you have made about it -- I ordered it blindly!

Last edited by a moderator:

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
What a wonderful film. My wife, who is not a classic film buff by any means, told me I had to watch this film. I kinda shrugged her off, but eventually watched it. I was floored by it's greatness.

Now, if Warner will only release "They Were Expendable"...

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Another great film in this same vein is RKO's 'TIL THE END OF TIME. Largely unheralded, it's a wonderful little picture about returning vets, as equally poignant as BEST YEARS, just on a smaller scale. Along with BEST YEARS, I often watch TIME on Veterans Day and enjoy it just as much.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I cant wait to get this ! I wonder if the extras from the HBO release will be ported over ...Im getting it either way...one more DVD to retire :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
battlebeast said:
I have to dissagree... I thought the film was incredibly boring, save for Harold Russell's performance.
Well, I guess that means you won't be buying this BD then. :)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
battlebeast said:
I have to dissagree... I thought the film was incredibly boring, save for Harold Russell's performance.
You have seen all the extant nominees and winners for Best Picture. You need to reconsider and give this picture another chance. Sometimes circumstances affect one's original evaluation. For instance, the first time I saw The Bridge on the River Kwai I had a horrible headache. I thought the movie was one of the worst films I had ever seen. The next day I went back to the theater, saw it again, without the headache, and recognized its brilliance.
I was fortunate to see Best Years in a beautiful 35mm print. This also affects your perception.
BTW, Dana Andrews is overshadowed by the Oscar-winning performances of March and Russell; but watch his performance carefully: his is possibly the best.
Anyway, we can agree to disagree, but I do wish you would try watching this film again, maybe in a few years.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Call it a long shot, but do you suppose we may eventually get the Goldwyn film "Enchantment" (with Teresa Wright and David Niven) on Blu-ray?

clambake

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jamie
Douglas_H said:
Plus, Dana Andrews, Frederic March, Myrna Loy, Hoagy Carmichael, Teresa Wright, Virginia Mayo, Harold Russell, Ray Collins? C'mon!
Brilliant casting, brilliant film, brilliant end.
And Steve Cochran too!

[Im not sure if I should say SPOILERS or not, but]

The part where Dana Andrews comes home to find his wife hanging out with Steve is one of the best scenes in a film full of them (like the poor guy doesn't have enough on his shoulders as it is).

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I've seen an incredible number of Movies during my lifetime.
Hated lots, tolerated scores, enjoyed many, truly loved some.
"The Best Years Of Our Lives" still remains my ultimate Movie experience.

An Absolutely Beautiful Film

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Extraordinary library, and generally superb source material.RAH

Except the Silent films, in general, Sam produced after he was ousted from Goldwyn Pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks