What's new

WHV Announcement: The Best of Bogart Collection (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

RLane777

Agent
Real Name
Rick
Did they also mention if they were releasing a DVD version? The reason why I asked is I found a DVD version on Amazon with the same release date. I was going to pre-order this just in case, but I was kind of curious.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
David Steigman said:
I dont think he mean crap that way, its just a term or expression, like same ol sh@@
Obviously. I meant "crap" as in "crap on the customer" because you're too damned lazy to do anything new and exciting, but insist on trotting out the same old "masterpieces" over and over again until we all want to hurl. While other "masterpieces" are sitting in limbo. And, these are the ones you are, indeed, treating like "crap"!

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Perhaps Warner is using this set as an opportunity to get rid of unsold discs, and drum up some interest in Bogart to help sales of future releases of his films.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
As one who's been passing it around like the Russians were in Jersey, I breathed a little sigh of relief when I saw I have all of these.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Lromero1396 said:
Perhaps Warner is using this set as an opportunity to get rid of unsold discs, and drum up some interest in Bogart to help sales of future releases of his films.
Maybe. The African Queen and the latest version of Casablanca have been $7 as a double feature at amazon.ca a couple times this month (and now). It's all the other Bogies (that I already have on DVD) that are more interesting to me.

This set is a little late IMO, ought to have done it first, then make the discs available separately (from a business perspective I mean).

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Lromero1396 said:
It would be great if that were the case. In addition to his well-known films coming to Blu, I'd love to see the Archive tackle his unreleased Warner films (which is most of his unreleased filmography) and press them as one big box for DVD.

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
I have the collector boxes of Queen, Casablanca (both), and the single release of Falcon so this is a pass for me.
Had to catch my breath for a sec, thought maybe this would be the Bogie/Bacall set.
But, who knows; maybe we'll get a new Casablanca!
Yep, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. :)

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Mike*HTF said:
Seems like another missed opportunity- repackaging isn't added value.
Except for those people who RAH referred to earlier:
Robert Harris said:
For those who don't already own these films on Blu, a great box of bargains. Should work out at street to under $10 per title.
I don't understand the contempt some show for repackaging films in bargain collections. I've taken advantage of many over the years. And I really can't buy into the argument that such issues somehow interfere with a studio's efforts to bring out previously unreleased films. One workflow is just marketing, another the application of different resources in restoration, mastering, etc.

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
ahollis said:
While I would like new to Blu titles, these repackaged collections must sell or they would not keep doing them. More power to them making money to pay for other titles to come out.
Ditto.

RLane777

Agent
Real Name
Rick
Never mind my post, they changed the DVD to Blu-ray. I;m glad I did pre-order since I don't have any of these films and $35 is pretty good for those.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
bogie.jpeg
Now Available For Preorder​
The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.​

Last edited by a moderator:

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I own the four titles in that box also, but...

davidHartzog said:
Have all of these, hope Big Sleep, Key Largo are coming up.
Yeah, these titles that are in the DVD-Tin-Box are on my wish list (High Sierra, Key Largo, To Have and Have Not, They Drive by Night and Dark Passage) plus The Big Sleep.

Nice would be also Dead Reckoning, In A Lonely Place, Sirocco and The Harder They Fall.
All four I own in a DVD-box set from the UK.

Did I mention The Desperate Hours?

We're No Angels is a must!

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
"Must" is right! "We're No Angels" is one of my all-time favourite Christmas movies, and the 2005 DVD is about as nice as DVD gets. It's a VistaVision production, and Paramount's transfer is splendid. To my eye, it looks Blu-Ray ready, or as close to Blu-Ray ready as "White Christmas" did in its 2-disc iteration. So, how about it, Paramount, Warner, Olive, Criterion, anybody?

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Wasn't there some word that The Big Sleep was coming in 2014? Could've been some rumour though...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks