What's new

WHV Announcement: Superman: The Motion Picture Anthology (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Yes, but they are on Disc 1, 3, and 4, which are Blu-ray discs containing the main features.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by cafink

Yes, but they are on Disc 1, 3, and 4, which are Blu-ray discs containing the main features.

Does that guarantee the SD extras won't be in PAL?

Crawdaddy

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy

It wouldn't matter. DVB is supposed to support NTSC framerates.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

Crawdaddy

As far as I know, none of Warner's UK releases contain PAL content. I have several myself, and all play perfectly fine on my Blu-ray player (which does choke on PAL content).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

As far as I know, none of Warner's UK releases contain PAL content. I have several myself, and all play perfectly fine on my Blu-ray player (which does choke on PAL content).

I have several too, but it doesn't answer my question about this particular UK release.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the way, the UK release is quite a bit cheaper on Amazon than the Region A release. I wonder why? They appear to have the same material.

Crawdaddy

FrancisP

Screenwriter
The Alien Anthology was the same way. It was considerably cheaper than the US release and appeared to have the same content.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

I have several too, but it doesn't answer my question about this particular UK release.

Crawdaddy

Sorry. The answer is: no, it's not guaranteed, just overwhelmingly likely.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Originally Posted by Lord Dalek

It wouldn't matter. DVB is supposed to support NTSC framerates.

What does this mean? What is DVB? I have a at least one Blu-ray with PAL extras, and while the main feature plays just fine on my player, the extras don't. Why wouldn't it matter for Superman?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member

What does this mean? What is DVB? I have a at least one Blu-ray with PAL extras, and while the main feature plays just fine on my player, the extras don't. Why wouldn't it matter for Superman?

DVB stands for Digital Video Broadcasting. In the analog and 480i digital era, there were three video formats: NTSC (480 lines, 59.94 fields per second), PAL (576 lines, 25 progressive frames per second) and SECAM (625 lines, 25 progressive frames per second). In the modern digital HDTV era, there are two video transmission formats: ATSC/QAM, DVB, and ISDB. The resolutions and capabilities are mostly identical, the differences being under the hood. The way OTA broadcasts are transmitted is different with each.

Bluray has its own video standard, which incorporates both PAL and NTSC formatted standard definition video, that is theoretically universal across the globe. In practice, however, European players have much better luck playing everything than US players do. 1080p24 video works everywhere. 576i25 and the other 25 fps formats don't.

Fabien Renelli

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fabien Renelli
Originally Posted by Fabien Renelli /forum/thread/310181/whv-announcement-superman-the-motion-picture-anthology-blu-ray/30#post_3796955

The only thing I worry about in regard to the UK set is that the dvds might be locked while the Blu-rays are all region.

Crawdaddy

Didn't think of this. Not really an issue for me as I have a region free Oppo.

Do we have confirmation of the contents and packaging of the UK set?

Real Name
Karl Pozorski
Just thought I'd mention.. If you are a member of Columbia House DVD club, they have this on sale for preorder for $77.97 + tax and shipping.(Ended up being around $86 for me.)

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Sorry to bump this old thread, but I wanted to ask a question.
With the announcement now of Superman special edition + television cut from Warner Archive, I see they still don't include the theatrical cut!! :(

Is there any standalone bluray anywhere in the world that is the theatrical cut with the lossless mono audio and the 5.1?
I don't want to buy the anthology and I can't seem to find any such release.

there are these Scandinavian steelbooks, but I'm not sure about the specs.
I can't find a detailed description anywhere.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Superman-The-Movie-Blu-ray/149660/

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The theatrical cut is available in the box set, but I don't think it's ever been released individually. I seem to remember the original 2.0 stereo mix being on there, but I could be mistaken.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The theatrical cut is available in the box set, but I don't think it's ever been released individually. I seem to remember the original 2.0 stereo mix being on there, but I could be mistaken.
The original 2.0 (but not the 5.1!) is indeed on the blu-ray.

...and it sounds awful too but then again all the old Superman mixes sound bad for some reason.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos

Yes, I know it's there.
http://dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=10639
(and Lord Dalek, it includes the 5.1 Why did you say it doesn't? By the way, I prefer the original mono mix, because in the new one they have altered sound effects. Especially in the main titles. I'm not sure about other places)

i can't understand why they don't release a standalone version, or at least include it in the new WAC release so that it has all 3 cuts.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I'm referring to the original 70mm mix which is not on any home video release. It had split surrounds for a few sequences.

Oh I see. Then that would be great too since it wouldn't have the new effects and it would be surround.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I thought some significant portion of the original audio effects stems were lost, necessitating a then-new mix with newly-fabricated sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks