What's new

WHV Announcement: Seven Sci-Fi Thrillers on Blu-ray for the First Time (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Any sign of a review for Outland yet? DVD Beaver has Coma, Altered States and Brainstorm up now, but Outland is the one I'm most anxious about after its horrid previous releases.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I'm also eagerly awaiting a review for OUTLAND. What are the odds that they're using the same transfer for the Blu-ray? Taking into consideration this isn't an A-list title, I wouldn't hold my breath for a complete remaster.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
TravisR said:
The DVD is 15 years old so they must have used a new transfer for the Blu-ray.
Yes, the DVD used an even older laser disc transfer so a new one would be in order, but I am curious as to what shape it will arrive in. The question is whether it just looks good or great.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Still no sign of any reviews for Outland? I'm really hoping this isn;t another disappointment, but you would think that if there were a huge improvement that there would have been review copies out there to flaunt it.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I would say the lack of an update or reviews is cause for concern. Maybe it's one of those 'digitally remastered" upgrades that didn't turn out well and they're trying to keep a lid on it. I hope I'm wrong.
BTW, why has Warner Bros. stopped using original artwork? I'm not liking any of the art they're using lately.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Jeff Ulmer said:
Still no sign of any reviews for Outland? I'm really hoping this isn;t another disappointment, but you would think that if there were a huge improvement that there would have been review copies out there to flaunt it.
There is a Peter Hyams commentary to go with the original trailer, which is a nice addition.
4180f865_rumstation-jupiter-blu-ray_210979.jpeg

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Looking forward to the commentary.
I recall a making of short that I probably saw on cable tv back in the day.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Over at the Blu-ray.com forum, Michael Reuben says this:
It's brand new and one of the most entertaining commentaries I've listened to in a long time. As a reviewer, one gets used to being disagreed with. However, the short version is that this transfer wasn't botched at all. I haven't seen this level of detail since I saw it in theaters (multiple times). That being said, it's still a Hyams film from 1981, and it reflects both his distinctive style of lighting and the FX tech of that era.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Looking forward to reviews on some of these -- in addition to The Entity, released today.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
The Entity looks sweet - glad I bought the BD. Was a little pissed at first the extras weren't carried over but it's not that big of a deal since I still have the old DVD.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
elDomenechHTF said:
The Entity looks sweet - glad I bought the BD. Was a little pissed at first the extras weren't carried over but it's not that big of a deal since I still have the old DVD.
A customer review on Amazon says there isn't even a menu on the blu-ray. Is that true? If so, that's taking bare-bones release to the extreme.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
There has to (or better!) be a menu, even if the disc starts playing immediately. How else are you going to access alternate languages/subtitles or the commentary? A lot of players don't have those buttons on their remotes.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't know about these specific discs but if memory serves, most Warners discs go straight to the movie and then to the menu after it's over. Also, many recent MGM discs don't have a menu at all. They go right to the feature and the movie will keep repeating. To access special features, etc. on those discs, you have to use the pop-up menu during the movie.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by TravisR /t/319524/whv-announcement-seven-sci-fi-thrillers-on-blu-ray-for-the-first-time/30#post_3944933
I don't know about these specific discs but if memory serves, most Warners discs go straight to the movie and then to the menu after it's over. Also, many recent MGM discs don't have a menu at all. They go right to the feature and the movie will keep repeating. To access special features, etc. on those discs, you have to use the pop-up menu during the movie.

I just watched Superman vs. the Elite over the weekend and I'm 99% sure that is how the disc went. That's a Warner release, so it would stand to reason this is their MO.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
TravisR said:
This is an Anchor Bay release. Does that have any significance?
Whoever has the disc, can you confirm there's a menu?
I just noticed that my quote in the previous message refers to the wrong person. I used the quote function and the wrong user name was inserted.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Now THAT looks a lot more like what I was hoping for, given some latitude for downsizing/compression in the online presentation. The amount of detail to be rendered in this film was always an issue, and if the stills from the review translate to the disc in motion, I think we'll be very pleased with the result.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Yes Outland looks like it finally gets a decent home video presentation. I've only ever seen the poor quality DVD version of this film, so I'm really looking forward to this blu-ray release now (and it's region free to boot!).

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I shouldn't of read this thread... I preordered Brainstorm (a fave from my childhood) and ALtered States (Blind buy, but always wanted to see it.) Now I think I better get Outland. I've never seen it either, but it apparently has some fans!

I love/hate you HTF!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks