What's new

WHV Announcement: Looney Tunes: The Platinum Collection Volume 3 (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
AnthonyClarke said:
I still can't believe that this is going to be the end of HD Bugs on Blu ray. No Rhapsody Rabbit? Unbelievable!
If you believe that, Bugs Bunny will sell you the Brooklyn Bridge.

ThadK

Second Unit
Brandon Conway said:
Not that I expect it to happen, but a collection of Bugs Bunny shorts on Blu as a way to release more Looney Tunes in a more marketable way would be the most reasonable future scenario.
A complete Bugs set would be the best course of action. At this point not even 60 of those cartoons still need to be remastered, so the budget would theoretically be the same as a Golden Collection—thus a much cheaper price tag. It'd surely do great.

ThadK

Second Unit
AnthonyClarke said:
I still can't believe that this is going to be the end of HD Bugs on Blu ray. No Rhapsody Rabbit? Unbelievable!
Ironically, RHAPSODY RABBIT is depicted on the cover of the liner notes!

phillyrobt

Second Unit
Real Name
Robt C
Just announced Looney Tunes Back In Action blu-ray for December with a hour of new bonuses.... but not the director's cut

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Brandon Conway said:
Not that I expect it to happen, but a collection of Bugs Bunny shorts on Blu as a way to release more Looney Tunes in a more marketable way would be the most reasonable future scenario.
Unfortunately, this is the path they have taken with the DVD releases since the end of the Golden Collections - a series of flawed single disc collections (including the terrible cropped one of I think Daffy cartoons) with many repeats of what was in the Golden Collections. As mentioned, it would need to be a complete Bugs collection - but I can't see it happening, given their track record.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
bugsy-pal said:
As mentioned, it would need to be a complete Bugs collection - but I can't see it happening, given their track record.
"Complete Bugs" also won't happen because a few of the cartoons are too potentially controversial and are probably blacklisted (unofficially of course). The T&J debacle set that precedent.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
They'll just continue to do random collections, no matter what their publicity shills say.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
Why can't the Warner Archive take over the Platinums and other theatrical series WHV has left for dead? Is WHV not being cooperativee, or do the Archive folks just think stuff like Marine Boy and Young Justice will be so much more popular?

We can't even get "classic" H-B like Huckleberry Hound out of them. No doubt, dumb stuff no one asked for (like "Gilligan's Island in Outer Space") will be released before WA releases any theatrical shorts.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I hope The Super Globetrotters (1979) isn't a work-for-hire cartoon. I'd like to think the same year's The New Shmoo was, since its originator Al Capp coincidentally died that year, too.

~Ben

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
But who's clamoring for the Super Globetrotters or the Shmoo? Those are bottom-of-the-barrell H-B. If WB thinks demand for Looney Tunes is meagre, they'll be in for a rude awakening if they think THOSE will be best-sellers, even as MOD's.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Ken_Martinez said:
But who's clamoring for the Super Globetrotters or the Shmoo? Those are bottom-of-the-barrell H-B. If WB thinks demand for Looney Tunes is meagre, they'll be in for a rude awakening if they think THOSE will be best-sellers, even as MOD's.
I'd think so, at least this year. I mean, low demand also meant there were no DVD releases for The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show after the first volume (episodes 1-7) or for Police Academy: The Animated Series after its first volume (episodes 1-30).

~Ben

phillyrobt

Second Unit
Real Name
Robt C
Walmart also has exclusive Fantastic Island and 3pack of Bugs/Road Runner/Foghorn LT Superstars box set dvds

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
It sure is nice to see the Super Chief running over Elmer in The Big Snooze without compression artifacting completely messing up the image. How does the DVD version handle that? Do the little rabbits turn into a bowl of mush like last time they released this one on DVD?

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
The sad thing is, George Feltenstein was super-enthusiastic about the WA doing theatrical animation. This is a direct, unaltered transcript from the 12/19/2013 WA podcast (it starts at about 28:10). Emphasis mine. I left in a relevant bit about the color Popeye cartoons, which are specifically earmarked for retail.
Q: "I'd like to know if we'll be seeing any classic animated shorts released by the Warner Archive. [...] Don't be coy. Please tell us that these will happen"

A: "We can tell you a couple of things. First of all, if we didn't care about quality, we could be bringing you theatrical animation right away. But a lot of the theatrical animation we could release needs to be remastered, and that takes time and money and care, and we have several projects in development with the collaborative efforts of the esteemed Mr. Jerry Beck and myself as we're planning... a couple of different things that will be quite exciting. [Other guy interjects with "I've seen them in your office. I'm confirming the rumors"]. But.. you'll definitely be seeing something in 2014 to your liking, and hopefully more than one thing, and if not 2014, maybe 2015. There are many things in the works.
Now I can address the Famous Studios Popeyes cartoons, which are the color Popeyes. The Warner Home Video kids group will continue to release the color Famous Studios Popeye cartoons, as they will continue to be restored [...] from newly minted 35mm sources coming from the original negatives, with the same level of quality that the Fleischer Popeyes had in the prior retail releases. This will probably happen not until 2015, but work is being done
The year is almost over, and we haven't heard a whisper about any WA release of classic cartoons. If there were no plans for such a thing, or if WHV forced WA to abort them, why say anything at all, let alone this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks