What's new

WHV Announcement: Looney Tunes Super Stars Foghorn & Tweety (1 Viewer)

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by Nailwraps

This is absoulutely great news! Now, I wonder if WHV will make a recall program for the Bugs and Daffy discs...

I seriously doubt it. Much as I would like that to be the case, I think we need to recognize that these Super Star discs are primarily being marketed to WalMart type crowds as children's discs and not targeted at collectors. It looks like they're willing to make this minor correction moving foward to appease collectors, but I would be stunned to see some sort of reissue for the previous two.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by mdnitoil
Of the 15 shorts on the Foghorn set, 14 are new to DVD. From a Gold Collection standpoint, it's worth picking up which is why I got it. The Tweety disc is all repeats, so no point in getting it.

I double-double checked the fullframe versus widescreen again and yes, it is actually proper fullframe. The widescreen versions are absolutely cropped versus the fullframe versions. So again, for Gold Collection folks, this release holds up pretty well.

Thanks for the info!

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by mdnitoil

I double-double checked the fullframe versus widescreen again and yes, it is actually proper fullframe. The widescreen versions are absolutely cropped versus the fullframe versions. So again, for Gold Collection folks, this release holds up pretty well.

This is great news. After the cropping issues on the previous Bugs and Daffy sets, I had written this off. I still don't like the double dip, so I will wait for a good price. I wonder if WHV changed this set to include the full frames after the uproar over the Bugs and Daffy sets?

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Great news! I actually held the Foghorn Leghorn DVD in my hand and put it back when I saw the reference to widescreen on the back cover. I can hardly believe no studio ever considered this approach before, I am very pleasantly shocked.

There's no "good way" to release all the Warner cartoons which will please everyone. The difference between the Warner cartoons and something like Popeye, Tom & Jerry, etc., is simply a matter of volume. There are over a thousand of them and a good chunk of them are early B&W ones, and/or musical shorts with no "star characters." A lot of collectors will want them all, but they have to be able to market them in such a way so they sell. The Tweety & Sylvester DVD is really no different from the most recent Spotlight Collection that repeated cartoons from earlier Golden Collections. If anything, I appreciate them keeping the T&S DVD "all" repeats, so I (and other folks who have the Golden Collections) can skip it without missing anything. That's the whole reason they set it up that way -- so collectors don't have to double-dip -- still, I'm not crazy about repeating one cartoon on the Foghorn DVD, but I betcha that and the "and friends" business have to do with the whole widescreen issue and how somewhere along the way they decided to focus their restoration efforts on post-1953 titles. I'm just glad to see that if they're going to crop them, they are now at least providing a choice of cropped or non-cropped. That issue has become the new "pan and scan" and I had really been getting sick of it, though of course YMMV.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
'm just glad to see that if they're going to crop them, they are now at least providing a choice of cropped or non-cropped. That issue has become the new "pan and scan" and I had really been getting sick of it, though of course YMMV.

Yeah, now we have to go around telling people why widescreen isn't always better. :P We knew this would happen. Joe Sixpack rides again!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks