What's new

WHV Announcement: Hatari, Gunfight at the O.K. Corral and El Dorado (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Robert Crawford said:
John Wayne is my all-time favorite actor. There are better actors, but there was only one John Wayne.
You get the Duke in the right role and there's no one more convincing. Oh, my gosh, Gunfight At The OK Corral too...holy grail film for me.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
John Hermes said:
You get the Duke in the right role and there's no one more convincing. Oh, my gosh, Gunfight At The OK Corral too...holy grail film for me.
John, could played any role, wished he did more comedies though; he was a natural at that.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Robert Crawford said:
El Dorado is somewhat of another variation of Rio Bravo. One of my favorite Wayne films from my childhood when I originally viewed it at my local movie theater back in 1966/1967 timeframe. Hatari is not one of my favorite Wayne films, but it has its fans. There are some good moments, but just not enough for me.
Definitely agree, it is ALMOST a carbon copy of Rio Bravo, even the director, Howard Hawkes, admitted as much. Still a good movie, James Caan in the Ricky Nelson role, Robert Mitchum in the Dean Martin role, Arthur Honeycutt in the Walter Brennan role, and John Wayne in the John Wayne role. :P

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Thank you, Warner. You're the only studio who gives a damn about classic titles on Blu-ray!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you, Warner. You're the only studio who gives a damn about classic titles on Blu-ray!
I would say Fox has done a decent job as of late.

But, yes, Warner reigns supreme!

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Mark-P said:
Paramount could of released these titles by themselves, but I have a feeling these releases won't see much special features though. I'm sure someone could put together a nice featurette or documentary about the making of Harari!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Well we are talking Paramount films here, two of which have already been released in Europe, but I'm not going to have a go at Warner, as I'm sure next year they'll be releasing lots of lovely catalogue titles.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
El Dorado is definitely a spiritual successor to Rio Bravo and possibly even more laid back in its own unique Howard Hawks style, effortlessly transitioning from serious to pure farce.
darkrock17 said:
I was hoping that Hatari! would of been a solo Paramount release.
Had more of the expectation of El Dorado, given that one was one of the few films (out of 10) Paramount released in their Centennial Collection DVD line. Looks like WB has free reign on anything classic Paramount that isn't already out on blu.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
JoHud said:
Had more of the expectation of El Dorado, given that one was one of the few films (out of 10) Paramount released in their Centennial Collection DVD line. Looks like WB has free reign on anything classic Paramount that isn't already out on blu.
WB just wants own everything plain and simple, I'm surprised that the Audrey Hepburn titles haven't been re-release by WB yet.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I actually prefer El Dorado to Rio Bravo, I suppose because I saw El Dorado at the cinema back in the day, also I find Rio Bravo is paced just a bit too leisurely.

EdG

Stunt Coordinator
It's great to see these being released in March. I figured WB/Paramount would wait until the Father's Day time frame to release any Duke or classic westerns on Blu. 3 more great films I can cross off of my want list. Thanks WB :banana:

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
EdG said:
It's great to see these being released in March. I figured WB/Paramount would wait until the Father's Day time frame to release any Duke or classic westerns on Blu. 3 more great films I can cross off of my want list. Thanks WB :banana:
How about The Sons Of Katie Elder, In Harm's Way, and Donovan's Reef for Father's Day?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
darkrock17 said:
WB just wants own everything plain and simple, I'm surprised that the Audrey Hepburn titles haven't been re-release by WB yet.
I pretty sure the Audrey Hepburn films stayed with Paramount and not part of the Warner deal.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
ahollis said:
I pretty sure the Audrey Hepburn films stayed with Paramount and not part of the Warner deal.
Which Hepburn films are you taking about? Because Breakfast at Tiffany's (BD and DVD), War and Peace (DVD), Sabrina (DVD) and Funny Face (DVD) are all will Warner now as they are sold at WBShop.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks