What's new

WHV Announcement: Guys and Dolls and Hans Christian Andersen (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

greg.shoemaker

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gregory Shoemaker
Is there any word that the exit/walk-out music will be included on the BD? It was included on the laserdisc.

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
GMpasqua said:
That's 20% - pretty good percentage for musicals pre-1970 (when they were popluar)
I will admit the musical films prior to 1950 are silly going and I find them hard to sit through (except for Cagney's  "Yankee Doodle Dandy" and "Footlight Parade" which are really non musical - people only sing when their characters are performing on stage)
Silly going?
Met Me in St. Louis?
Wizard of Oz?
Best Foot Forward?
Good News?
Holiday Inn?
Shall We Dance?
Top Hat?
Give me "silly going" ANY DAY OF THE WEEK! :D
As for "Guys and Dolls" being the top grossing film of 1955, every source I've consulted indicates Disney's "Lady and the Tramp" was that year's top-grossing film. Possibly, it was the year's top-grossing "musical"?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Guys and Dolls was actually the top grossing film of 1956, according to Variety. Given its late release date in 1955 (3 November), it would have had to make a substantial amount in a very short time to be the top grosser of 1955.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Stephen_J_H said:
Guys and Dolls was actually the top grossing film of 1956, according to Variety. Given its late release date in 1955 (3 November), it would have had to make a substantial amount in a very short time to be the top grosser of 1955.
Those box office stats in Variety would include the grosses for the entire run of the film, not just 1955.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by Virgoan /t/322533/whv-announcement-guys-and-dolls-and-hans-christian-andersen-blu-ray/60#post_3955747
As for "Guys and Dolls" being the top grossing film of 1955, every source I've consulted indicates Disney's "Lady and the Tramp" was that year's top-grossing film. Possibly, it was the year's top-grossing "musical"?
"Lady and the Tramp" didn't become the top film of 1955 until many years later when it had many re-releases. You have to go to the 1956 Variety to see what the tops films were that year. Today's lists included all the re-issues

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
Haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere, but Amazon.com has the rear covers for these two releases, which confirm the technical specifications and extra features.
Hans Christian Andersen
1.37:1 Academy
English 1.0 DTS-HD MA
English, French, & Spanish Subtitltes
Theatrical Trailer (2:42)
(Click here for image)
Guys & Dolls
2.55:1 Widescreen
English 5.1 DTS-HD MA
English, French, & Spanish Subtitltes
"The Goldwyn Touch" (23:53, from 2006 DVD)
"From Stage to Screen" (26:40, from 2006 DVD)
"More Guys and Dolls Stories" (7:44 split among 5 clips, from 2006 DVD)
"Musical Performances" (19:42 split among 6 performances, from 2006 DVD)
Theatrical Trailer (4:51, from original DVD)
(Click here for image)
Not included is a photo gallery and a 72-page scrapbook, though I'm sure elements of both are in the Digibook.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Rick Thompson said:
I hope there's a non-digibook release.
Why??
I don't even like HCA (Danny came off too dim in the Goldwyn movies, the songs are nice, but the story has embarrassingly nothing to do with Hans's bio, and it's just no Court Jester, but what was?), and the digibook already has me salivating... :P
Buy what you like, but it's embarrassing what a Digibook will make me want to put on my shelf.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Ejanss said:
Why??
I don't even like HCA (Danny came off too dim in the Goldwyn movies, the songs are nice, but the story has embarrassingly nothing to do with Hans's bio, and it's just no Court Jester, but what was?), and the digibook already has me salivating... :P
Buy what you like, but it's embarrassing what a Digibook will make me want to put on my shelf.
Why??
Digibooks are horrible, they take up more space and they mess up the evenness of my shelves :( I always avoid digibooks and steelbooks and funky packaging, just give us a REGULAR case please - I'm looking at you Warners.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Moe Dickstein said:
Why??
Digibooks are horrible, they take up more space and they mess up the evenness of my shelves :( I always avoid digibooks and steelbooks and funky packaging, just give us a REGULAR case please - I'm looking at you Warners.
I, OTOH, remember the days when you could buy theater programs at the lobby (yes, I'm that old, but they were as recent as the early 80's).
Given that most of the digibooks are basically just cast lists, publicity photos and song lyrics to begin with, I often take down my Clash of the Titans or Willy Wonka digibooks off the shelf, and wonder what my earlier childhood of Star Wars and E.T. collectible programs would have thought of the idea of taking home a souvenir theater program with the entire movie included in the back. :D
My shelf is a "bookshelf" library of my favorite movies, and I won't rest until they all have book-bindings.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I generally wind up making a standard Blu-ray cover and trashing the digibook. I'd rather save the bother, which is why I hope there's a non-digibook release. But if I must fire up the scanner, I will. Since we have a recycling bin, at least the digibook won't fill up the landfill!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks