WHV Announcement: Driving Miss Daisy; Mrs. Miniver; Grand Hotel (Blu-ray)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jul 3, 1997
Messages
57,099
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just ordered "Driving Miss Daisy." Have never seen the other two offerings
and would love a recommendation for them if warranted.

...I mean, I suppose Best Picture says it all.
 

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Joined
Aug 31, 2007
Messages
1,392
Location
San Francisco, CA., USA
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein /t/323847/whv-announcement-driving-miss-daisy-mrs-miniver-grand-hotel-blu-ray#post_3976943
Just ordered "Driving Miss Daisy." Have never seen the other two offerings
and would love a recommendation for them if warranted.

...I mean, I suppose Best Picture says it all.
All three titles are deserving blind buys, Ron...purchase with confidence!!!
 

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Moderator
Patron
Joined
Dec 9, 1998
Messages
50,168
Location
Michigan
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein /t/323847/whv-announcement-driving-miss-daisy-mrs-miniver-grand-hotel-blu-ray#post_3976943
Just ordered "Driving Miss Daisy." Have never seen the other two offerings
and would love a recommendation for them if warranted.

...I mean, I suppose Best Picture says it all.
Ronbo,

I think you'll enjoy Grand Hotel. it's a little dated, but some of the dialogue is still fresh today. I think you'll find Ms. Crawford and Ms. Garbo a hoot with the Barrymore brothers. John is Drew's grandfather.

As to Mrs. Miniver, it might be a little slow for you, but it's a fine film telling the story of one Brit family coping during the early stages of WW II.
 

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2005
Messages
5,391
Location
Camas, WA
Real Name
Mark Probst
Ronald Epstein said:
Just ordered "Driving Miss Daisy."  Have never seen the other two offerings
and would love a recommendation for them if warranted.
...I mean, I suppose Best Picture says it all.
As a best picture completist, I have them all (on DVD). Mrs. Miniver does a great job dramatizing the British homefront during the outbreak of the war, but my only complaint is that, like many movies made during the war, it is clearly a "propaganda" movie meant to rally support for the war effort.
 

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Joined
Apr 30, 2003
Messages
1,230
Location
Canada
Real Name
NICK
Cannot wait for these to come out. Driving Miss Daisy should look amazing. It's never looked all that good on DVD. Mrs. Miniver and Grand Hotel are two of my all time favs. Would love to see Warner give us Around the World In 80 Days too. Hoping for too much?
 

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jul 3, 1997
Messages
57,099
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just preordered all three titles.

I must have watched Mrs. Miniver previously -- even
possibly reviewed it. I have an open DVD copy sitting
on my shelf.
 

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Moderator
Patron
Joined
Dec 9, 1998
Messages
50,168
Location
Michigan
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein /t/323847/whv-announcement-driving-miss-daisy-mrs-miniver-grand-hotel-blu-ray#post_3977264
Just preordered all three titles.

I must have watched Mrs. Miniver previously -- even
possibly reviewed it. I have an open DVD copy sitting
on my shelf.
Ron,
I think you were reviewing when it came out on DVD back in early 2004.
 

ahollis

Premium
Joined
Mar 1, 2007
Messages
7,904
Location
New Orleans
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Nick*Z /t/323847/whv-announcement-driving-miss-daisy-mrs-miniver-grand-hotel-blu-ray#post_3977263
Cannot wait for these to come out. Driving Miss Daisy should look amazing. It's never looked all that good on DVD. Mrs. Miniver and Grand Hotel are two of my all time favs. Would love to see Warner give us Around the World In 80 Days too. Hoping for too much?
You don't need to hope. Warner said they were putting AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS out on Blu in 2013 also, just no firm date.
 

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Joined
Jun 5, 2006
Messages
154
Real Name
Chad
Mrs. Miniver is truly a great film. I watched it this past year when it came on TCM late one night and I was entranced by the storyline and Miss Garson. Not to diminish the era it takes place in, but it's one of those movies that makes you, or maybe just me, wish I could have been a part of. I would have to say to anyone wondering, this movie is a blind buy you won't regret.
 

ahollis

Premium
Joined
Mar 1, 2007
Messages
7,904
Location
New Orleans
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Oliver Siegel /t/323847/whv-announcement-driving-miss-daisy-mrs-miniver-grand-hotel-blu-ray#post_3977339
@ahollis:
Warner NEVER said that! Post a link to prove your (false) claim.
I had it listed here, but I'm not going to make it that easy. Go back and read the thread Lou For You in the DVD Forum. He has a link to one of his articles where he talked to Jeff Baker from Warner Brothers about their plans for their 90th Anniversary.
 

Paul Penna

Supporting Actor
Joined
Aug 22, 2002
Messages
807
Real Name
Paul
ahollis said:
I had it listed here, but I'm not going to make it that easy.  Go back and read the thread Lou For You in the DVD Forum.   He has a link to one of his articles where he talked to Jeff Baker from Warner Brothers about their plans for their 90th Anniversary. 
From the Lou Lumenick NY Post article:
"[Jeff] Baker [executive vice president of theatrical catalogue for Warner Home Video] indicated that Warner will be 'converting a lot of films to Blu-ray next year' as part of the studio's 90th anniversary celebration 'including five best picture winners that have never been on Blu-ray' He didn't name those titles..." (Emphasis mine.)
Lumenick then goes on to list the nine unreleased-to-BD Best Picture Oscar winners that Warner either owns or has licensed, one of which is Around the World in 80 Days.
 

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Moderator
Patron
Joined
Dec 9, 1998
Messages
50,168
Location
Michigan
Real Name
Robert

Oliver Siegel

Stunt Coordinator
Joined
Jun 8, 2012
Messages
57
Real Name
Oliver
Paul Penna said:
From the Lou Lumenick NY Post article:
"[Jeff] Baker [executive vice president of theatrical catalogue for Warner Home Video] indicated that Warner will be 'converting a lot of films to Blu-ray next year' as part of the studio's 90th anniversary celebration 'including five best picture winners that have never been on Blu-ray' He didn't name those titles..." (Emphasis mine.)
Lumenick then goes on to list the nine unreleased-to-BD Best Picture Oscar winners that Warner either owns or has licensed, one of which is Around the World in 80 Days.
Thx for posting this quote,Paul :)
 

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
345,488
Messages
4,743,313
Members
141,462
Latest member
@Wolf