What's new

WHV Announcement: Boogie Nights and Magnolia (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
On the Blu-ray Release Schedule, I've listed "Boogie Nights" for a 01-19-10 release for several weeks, but Amazon still didn't have that release date this morning. Perhaps later on today, but next Tuesday is coming fast.

Crawdaddy

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by TravisR

I thought Boogie Nights looked great and I'm hopeful that Magnolia will be on par with it.

I just sampled the review copy of Magnolia and thought it looked great. Obviously a full review is going to take some time (and I have another two to finish first).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
As of this post, Amazon is still selling expensive
copies of this BD through other sellers.

Waiting for them to set a price on their own stock
so I can place an order.

Never saw Magnolia. Seems to be a big buzz
about the film.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Magnolia is very much a "love it" or "hate it" film. It has been since it first appeared. At over 3 hours' running time, it asks a lot from viewers, and a fair number think the result just isn't worth it -- among them Kevin Smith, who famously blasted the film online.

The cast is amazing, though, as is the cinematography by Robert Elswit, who would go on to win the Oscar for There Will Be Blood.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben

Magnolia is very much a "love it" or "hate it" film. It has been since it first appeared. At over 3 hours' running time, it asks a lot from viewers, and a fair number think the result just isn't worth it -- among them Kevin Smith, who famously blasted the film online.

The cast is amazing, though, as is the cinematography by Robert Elswit, who would go on to win the Oscar for There Will Be Blood.
Yeah, personally I didn't care for it. It's an interesting, ambitious film in many ways but I found it very indulgent, pretentious and, worst of all, false - the Seymour Hoffman character in particular just doesn't ring true.

It looks good, but I find PT Anderson's style too derivative - it's as if he'd decided to make Robert Altman movies shot in the style of Martin Scorsese. The only one that really worked for me was Punch Drunk Love.

I'd definitely suggest a rental first if you haven't seen this one.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

On the Blu-ray Release Schedule, I've listed "Boogie Nights" for a 01-19-10 release for several weeks, but Amazon still didn't have that release date this morning. Perhaps later on today, but next Tuesday is coming fast.

FWIW, DVD Empire is listing 2/2/2010.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

I just sampled the review copy of Magnolia and thought it looked great. Obviously a full review is going to take some time (and I have another two to finish first).
Great to hear! I have both of these on pre-order with Amazon.ca, both list a Jan 19th street date.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Magnolia is very much a "love it" or "hate it" film.
Yeah, I love it but it's definitely not for everyone.

A postscript to the Kevin Smith story is that he ended up running into P.T. Anderson in a doctor's office (or some odd place like that) and he said that PTA couldn't have been a nicer guy.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Kevin had a very interesting take on MAGNOLIA. I remember he felt that it was an "open wound" film- a kind of very personal 'primal scream' from an artist- and thought that spending $35-million to make such a film wasn't warranted. When I first saw the film I disliked it and posted as such on the View Askew website, then Kevin saw it and posted a similar response and all hell broke lose. We had P.T. Anderson fans coming onto the boards and attacking us for daring to dislike a film that they liked, and the View Askew fans retaliating in kind... It all got quite ugly, stupid and sad.

The upshot is, on repeat viewings I've grown to really love at least 90% of MAGNOLIA since I saw it that first time. There are still some things in it that bug me (which is to be expected in any film of this length) but I really love the majority of it and am looking forward to owning it on Blu-ray.

Vincent

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Quote:

Is Boogie Nights one of the titles you're reviewing? Would like to know what to expect PQ-wise compared to the original DVD. Thanks.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by CraigF

Quote:

Is Boogie Nights one of the titles you're reviewing? Would like to know what to expect PQ-wise compared to the original DVD. Thanks.

No, I don't have that one. I don't even know whether we've received a review copy.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I admit, I also partcipated in the Newsaskew.com craziness over the film, and I was a late-commenter (I piled on in the 'you tell 'em Stevedave mode').. primarily because I really hated Magnolia, and wasn't at the boards to comment at all on it I was wanting to talk about Kevin Smith films, and the board at that point was flooded with total BS posts about how terrible Smith was.

The problem I had with Magnolia was that I paid money to see it.. I loved Boogie Nights and found it to be a stunning, creative, well filmed work. Magnolia came off as dark, difficult to decipher without a decoder ring, and had no characters I gave a damn about.

I think PT has one of the best film "look" I've seen. I love everything about that. But, uh, I was completely NOT sold on this flm.

As to the BD, Boogie Nights is a MUST buy for me.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
You know, as I read these comments and am reminded of some of the discussions from ten years ago, I'm starting to think that the best thing for "The Film" section of the review might just be a picture of a frog.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

I mailed it off to Cameron so you should see the reveiw posted in the next few days. He also got The Invention of Lying and Whiteout about the same time. I'm not sure what order he will do them in.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Generally I will give priority to a critically acclaimed catalog title over poorly received new releases. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks