What's new

WHV Announce: The Green Berets (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Considering how haphazard Warners has treated this film in the past, I must say that I am pleasantly surprised. I believe this will be the first anamorphic release. As bad as this film can be at times (just the ending is enough), it is a fun film and all John Wayne. It will see it's way into my home.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
It's quite unbelievable to me that this is the film Warners chose from their back catalogue, rather than, you know, A Star Is Born, or Mr. Roberts, or about five hundred other titles that are better than this quite awful Wayne film. I am, as always, amazed and astounded at these decisions.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
With the "good" classic titles not selling very well, do they really think the "bad" classics will do any better?

I'm really scratching my head over this being selected for BD treatment over a Wayne classic more universally respected such as She Wore a Yellow Ribbon.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Do John Waynes characters ever die in any of his movies? If so, can someone send me a PM as to what they are?
Warner Brothers has far too many of John Waynes movies on Blu-ray anyway. Why not another Humphrey Bogart? Yes, yes, John Wayne is the greatest actor EVER in the multi-verse...
This is pathetic WB.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
This is strange. I saw some of this film on TV in the late 70s. It seemed racist, although maybe I missed something. Anyway, racist or not it just seemed like a bad movie. With all of film history to choose from, why this. There are many other better Wayne films (like She Wore A Yellow Ribbon), but I agree with BillyFeldman and RayR that A Star is Born, or really any Judy Garland movie or Bogart movie would be more worthy of the blu treatment.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I have never seen this film and seem to be discovering Waynes films with BD releases... I will blind buy. WB did do some decent cover art on this release.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The only good thing about this film is Miklos Rozsa's music score, which I suppose will sound good in 5.1 Dolby True HD, but it's still a mono film - unless they have completely remixed the soundtrack.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I'll say it again, I'm not much of a fan of John Wayne and I'm highly disappointed that ANOTHER Wayne film is out on Blu-ray instead of Warners older catalog titles. And they also released Catwoman.
Why not Singin' in the Rain, The Maltese Falcon, Captain Blood, The Sea Hawk, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Thin Man, The Philadelphia Story, Bringing Up Baby, Driving Miss Daisy, The Right Stuff, Empire of the Sun, Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan - Lord of the Apes and various others.
Warner Brothers, I am dissapoint.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Posted by Jim_K: With the "good" classic titles not selling very well, do they really think the "bad" classics will do any better?

C'mon, it's the Duke fer cyin' out loud!

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Frankly, I like these odd catalog decisions.

I can understand why people want their favorites released before this admittedly lesser film, but it's sort of an obscure and odd movie to bring to Blu-ray at this stage in the game.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway

Simply put, John Wayne movies sell on home video.
Yes, they do and I'll be buying it, despite it not being one of Duke's best. I remembered going to see this in a theater with a bunch of buddies back in the day and though the quality of the film isn't very good, it is still one of my guilty pleasures from my youth.

Crawdaddy

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I recently purchased my first BD player and look forward to this release. Wayne films are usually a lot of fun and this one should be available for a reasonable price at some point. The Searchers is currently available for under $10 at Amazon and the 2 disc "How...West..Won" is about $15. In this era of dwindling classics available on legit DVD from WHV it is always good to get a high quality classic for a decent price.

For those wanting other titles...it will be the success of these more salable titles that will ultimately fund the release of the Bogies and other MIA titles.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by MattFini

Frankly, I like these odd catalog decisions.

I can understand why people want their favorites released before this admittedly lesser film, but it's sort of an obscure and odd movie to bring to Blu-ray at this stage in the game.
I believe that The Green Berets was the biggest box office hit of 1968 starring arguably the biggest box office star of all time. Not what I would call obscure.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks