What's new

WHV Announce: Terminator Salvation (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I hope the fine print is wrong about the Director's Cut being only 3 minutes longer than the theatrical cut. That would make it the pre-MPAA-requests cut, not the Director's Cut -- which is supposedly about 20 minutes longer. I wonder if this is a typo based on early info?

I've said this before but I'll say it again: If Bogart could have been in any Terminator movie, he would have been in Terminator Salvation.

Terminator Salvation was like a World War II war story, and a good one at that -- all the classic themes of typical war stories are here: heroes crossing enemy lines, questions of loyalties and identity, men bonding in battle, romance, sacrifice...

If it had just retreaded the Terminator story of “machine chases after hero” I’d have been bored. Instead, I was really impressed, first by the fantastic art direction -- the terminators move so well in this film, it puts the earlier films to shame (but that can’t be helped, the originals didn’t have this level of visual effects quality available to them) -- and also by the freshness of the story. Or rather the freshness of making it a classic war film rather than a chase film.

Today also brought good news for those of us who want parts 2 and 3 to be made -- and follow the link to hear McCheese's plan to make parts 2 and 3 less like a war movie:

“Although Terminator Salvation was initially intended to be the first part of a new Terminator trilogy, its performance at the domestic US box office led many to question whether a fifth Terminator film would happen. Then, to everyone’s surprise, the film gunned it on the international circuit, almost doubling Star Trek’s foreign take to hit a reasonable box office haul of $341M worldwide. That led to speculation that Terminator 5 might be back on the agenda – and it seems it is, with director McG now confirming Terminator 5 is being worked on as we speak.”
http://www.scifiscoop.com/news/confirmed-terminator-5-in-development/

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
there is a legal battle brewing up with the terminator series.. once again.. they could prevent t5.

Jacob

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, there's one producer fighting to get the rights away from the other two producers. Whichever wins, it doesn't really matter. Either one will use McG and his team. The only difference to the audience will be what logo appears before the film starts. I appreciate that the real problem is that no one will give anyone any money until this is settled, but, I have hope.

Remember the good old days, when films like Terry Gilliam's Brazil were simply funded by arms dealers?

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I read that arnold might be working to get the rights for the terminator films.

www.thearnoldfans.com

Jacob

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i want the 20min.+ more edition, therefore will probably pass on this =P

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if they should be touting "Maximum Movie Mode Hosted by McG" as a bonus feature. That's more like a stab yourself in the ear hole feature.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
McG has always come across as fairly smug and condescending in just about every interview clip I've seen him in. That said, why the hell is the "Director's Cut" a piddly 3 minutes longer than the theatrical version, when there were at least 20 minutes rumored to have gotten trimmed?

I mean, really...why even bother going to all the extra trouble of producing it in the first place?

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
it's the same as the incredible hulk 3+ hrs opus that was supposed to have happened >P. loox like it costs 2much $ to do as a FIRST release. so i think studio are going the double dip route y spend $ they dont have when they can release somn quick now and then get $ to fund that SE/DC/EE, etc. either way i'm hoping it'll come =P. not getting this until that's available.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I skipped this film in the theaters due to the lackluster reviews, so I will either put it on my Christmas wish list or pick it up for myself if I can get it for under $20.

A revelation dawned on me however looking at that Maximum Movie Mode picture in the press release above, how awesome would it be if you could choose to throw virtual lettuce and tomato at the director if you wind up disliking the film? A truly interactive experience!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I actually didn't mind this film, even though it generally got panned by critics and most of people who posted about it on this site. I thought it made for quite a change to not be a chase film like all of the preceding ones. For all of its warts, McG did at least try to do something fresh with the mythology. Some of it worked and some didn't, but I thought McG at least tried to do something a bit different.

Reading that interview, it sounds like any new film is going to return to the worn out chase theme. The next ones should be trite because according to that interview McG is going to be spending more time trying to make the "fanbase" happy.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Any new gossip about whether there will be a double dip, or if, by some miracle, the "3 extra minutes" on the director's cut was a typo and it's more like 20 extra minutes?

In interviews, McG states pretty clearly that there will be at least 30 to 40 minutes in the Deleted Scenes, but I'd really like to see a director's cut with good scenes incorporated into the film.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Looking very forward to the blind buy, this one should be awesome in the HT.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Today I had the opportunity of getting both the US or the French Bluray. I finally got the French BD which I normally don't. On the back cover of the French BD it said it included 11 extra documentaries which I didn't see on the US cover. If anyone has the US BD, could you please check if it has these or not?

Aside from "Moto-Terminator" and "Reforming the Future" which the US BD has, the French edition
has 11 documentaries in a "Focus Points" section, among them are
- Digital Destruction
- Stan Winston Shop
- Enlisting the Air Force
- Molten Metal and the Science of Simulation
-Building the Gas Station
- Creating the VLA Attack

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Maybe "Focus Points" the same as "Maximum Movie Mode Hosted by Filmmaker McG"?

One review of the US disc says "Maximum Movie Mode featuring director McG deconstructing the film’s key moments, mini featurette focus points, Picture (PiP) commentary with cast and crew interviews, storyboards, still galleries, timeline and more."

Ah ha! I've found a review of the UK disc, not the US disc, which uses the term Focus Points and the term Maximum Movie Mode in the same sentence, indicating they may be the very same thing! If someone can establish whether the US and UK studio are the same, we should have more proof.

"Up next we have eleven 'Focus Points' (29:47 HD) as featured in the 'Maximum Movie Mode', which can be viewed individually or by means of a 'play all' function. They basically just provide a closer look at how certain effects were created, such as the Imocap system used to match up the digital doubles, the particle simulations used for the molten metal in the Terminator factory, or the design and construction of the gas stations set."

I believe that Americans can rest easy, with the probability now being that the French "Focus Points" are the same as the American "Maximum Movie Mode".

Yup... a review of the American disc says there are "eleven" 2 to 3 minute long clips in the "Maximum Movie Movie". That would correspond to ‘Digital Destruction’, ‘Enlisting the Air Force’, ‘Molten Metal and the Science of Simulation’, ‘Building the Gas Station’, ‘Creating the VLA attack’, ‘Exploring Serena’s Lab in miniature’, ‘Hydrobots’, ‘An Icon returns’, ‘Terminator Factory’, ‘Stan Winston Shop’ and ‘Napalm Blast’.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Thank you, yes that's it, eleven 'Focus Points' 29:47. Then, I made a mistake getting the French edition. Should have gotten the US BD!

hampsteadbandit

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rob cole
Terminator : Salvation on Blu-Ray?

I only just got over buying it on DVD (2nd hand, from a london exchange shop 1 day after release - not a good sign)

I admit I watched it in the cinema on release and was disappointed...but like T3, I thought it would grow on me with subsequent viewings (I highly rate T3 after seeing it a few times)

unfortunately only the first 1/3 rd of T-4 (Salvation) did this for me...Sam Worthington's (Marcus) origin story was awesome, the intial setup and Kyle Reese / Marcus sequence, plus some of the set-pieces (like the gas station / huge robot)

as soon as it got to Christian Bale (Batman voice..) and the Resistance the film lost the plot...

T-4 on Blu-Ray??

..only after getting the other 100 films I've soon rather own on Blu-Ray first ;)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
So, I think that photo in the first post is a very revealing spoiler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks