What's new

WHV Announce: Peanuts 1970's Collection Volume 1 (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I would buy this on street date at full price if they included the original commercials from the first airings (specifically Dolly Madison and McDonald's.)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jesse Skeen

I would buy this on street date at full price if they included the original commercials from the first airings (specifically Dolly Madison and McDonald's.)
You're asking the impossible (or at least, improbable). They'd likely have to pay the advertisers to use their ads, and many of the advertisers may not want 'old advertising' out there, conflicting with their current brand image.

On the few TV-on-DVD sets where advertisers have consented to use in-show sponsored commercials (like cast commercials on The Beverly Hillbillies, for instance and the cereal commercials on Adventures of Superman), sometimes the advertiser will only give permission to use commercials for products they currently sell (I think Kelloggs asked Warner not to use commercials for either cereal products they no longer sell, or ones depicting mascots that aren't in current use).

You're usually only going to get 'all original commercials' with the dollar-bin public domain/bootleg companies who don't care about copyright laws.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Among my P/D Collection of DVDs are some Episodes of the 1950s Dragnet with Jack Webb pushing a defunct brand of Cigarettes, and some Episodes of Anne Oakley that have commercials for Canada Dry Ginger Ale and a defunct brand of Popcorn. If you have Sky King all the episodes start off with a plug for Nabisco.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
WHEN DO WE GET THE COMPLETE PEANUTS SPECIALS RELEASED, AS PROMISED WHV???

What on earth is the point of releasing them by decade in the first place? To begin with, their were SEVENTEEN Peanuts Specials produced in the '70s. But are there really compulsive Peanuts collectors out there that would purchase "It's A Short Summer", but not "Play It Again, Charlie Brown" due to the production dates?? This release pattern is idiotic and if WHV can release two disc sets with 6 TV specials on it... why have they been releasing singles with "bonus" specials all along?

I'm not buying a single new Peanuts DVD until every last special is released in a proper box set as WHV had promised!

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
They never promised a complete set, and I think it's clever releasing them in the order they were produced. It's cool to see how the show evolved over time (Often for the worst, several of the 1960s episodes never came close to being topped by the later tv specials).

I much more prefer this than the two episode DVD sets.

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
I agree with Leo. I'd rather buy this for 6 eps than 2 at a time. I worry for What Have We Learned Charlie Brown? Will whoever owns the rights to Bon Voyage Charlie Brown please release it at the same time! It would be really stupid to have the sequel without the prequel.

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
I feel stupid saying this, but i've been purchasing the individual sets as well as the decade sets. I just have this feeling that some specials will never get released on the two-disc sets, and the decade sets are the only way to get everything.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
I've been doing the same, buying both doubles and collected sets, not just for episodes, but for the extras.

For me, I'm just hoping we'll eventually see a DVD release for This is America, Charlie Brown and The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show, plus some of the specials they aired (It's Your 20th Television Anniversary, Charlie Brown, for example).

But yes, the movies should be focused on too. We need those.

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
See I already have the "This is America Charlie Brown" release from a few years back, and I have to say it held up pretty well considering it had been many, many years since I saw it originally broadcast. I also have the two movies that were released as well, although as I have heard WHV doesn't have rights to the movies, just the tv specials so we are going to run into some problems somewhere down the road I have a feeling. I guess i've been double dipping on all the tv specials, so if they release the "This is America" on the decade collections it's not a huge deal for me.

I saw some bad combing artifacts on He's Your Dog, Charlie Brown. I don't know if it was because I was upscaling the image or not. Another interesting find, Charlie Brown's All-Stars features a 1968 copyright date even though the special first aired in 1966 (CBS did re-air it in 1968.) There is video on YouTube of the original opening of All-Stars which features additional animation that has since been taken out because of a sponsor plug.

This is America may be a better transfer. They seem to have gone back to the original film elements instead of video and at least on "The Mayflower Voyagers" some long censored footage has been restored (a Pilgrim shooting a turkey....I checked the original tape I had from the broadcast and it didn't even appear there!)

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
Quote:
(I think Kelloggs asked Warner not to use commercials for either cereal products they no longer sell, or ones depicting mascots that aren't in current use).
Not in all cases. The Kellogg's material in the Huckleberry Hound and Yogi Bear sets from a few years back feature several plugs for discontinued cereals and defunct mascots.

It sucks that they can't/won't restore at least the original sponsor tags, especially when footage like THIS is right under their noses.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Here's the commercials from the original broadcast of "It's Your First Kiss, Charlie Brown" recorded October 24, 1977 (on one of the first RCA VHS machines!)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Leo, in fact they DID promise that a "complete" chronological set for the 'collector's market' would be released... there is no room for interpretation here. It was stated quite clearly to all members of this forum.

I appreciate the fact that they're releasing the series in production order, but this is a stupid way to do it if they are planning what they'd led us all to believe in regards to the inclusive set that would eventually be released. The '60s and '70s set could have easily been combined into a Peanuts Complete TV Specials Vol. 1 without the pointless theme and banal art work to go along with it. I'm holding off for a proper collection of Peanuts specials from WHV that doesn't feel so cheap and predictable. Until the complete collector's set is released, I have no interest in these "decade packs".

Originally Posted by LeoAmes

They never promised a complete set, and I think it's clever releasing them in the order they were produced. It's cool to see how the show evolved over time (Often for the worst, several of the 1960s episodes never came close to being topped by the later tv specials).

I much more prefer this than the two episode DVD sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks