What's new

WHV and Soviet revisionism (1 Viewer)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
B5 said:
Now, call me foolish, but when someone describes something as being "discussed and planned", I assume that they're actually working on it. Especially when they talk about "remasterings" and solicit specific information about what fans are looking for. (Notice also how they evaded Hakan's question about widescreen by asking him a question. This is vintage WHV "weaselspeak")
Finally, last November, long after the VHS release was cancelled, WHV reps at Studio Day told us that B5 was "on the schedule" for 2001, but could offer no further information.
Before the VHS release even came out I wrote to Warner Home Video warning them that many fans would pass up the VHS tapes and LDs in hope of a DVD release down the road. After the Finnegan interview I wrote him, Mike Saksa and Paul Hemstreet among others to warn them that Finnegan's statement was going to hurt VHS sales. I know that at least some of these letters were read, because Finnegan had an assistant reply to two of them. So Warner Bros. cannot now pretend that are unaware of what they said, or of the predicted affect their own comments would have on VHS sales. I don't know if they are fools, or if they just think we are. But I can't let their attempt to rewrite history stand, and I intend to send a letter to every single participant in the chat a letter asking them to explain their statement.
Regards,
Joe

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Well said - and buy the dvd!
------------------
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
Way to go Joseph!!!! There's nothing wrong with calling anybody on their bullshit. With all of your evidence above, I suggest you contact Mike Finnegan and give him the low down.
BTW, I was very disappointed with the chat. WHV bobbed and weaved more than Marvin Hagler against Sugar Ray Leonard. Their non-commital on OAR is extremely disturbing and will not be tolerated.
Good luck.
------------------
DTS Laser Disc. Size Does Matter

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
...what a great Header...
laugh.gif

------------------

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Well, my memory was a bit off. The Big Picture interview actually took place in March of 1999, not 1998. And Paul Hemstreet was involved, along with Mike Finnegan. So they have even less excuse to be so "surprised" that fans believed that Warner Home Video had a B5 DVD release planned.
Here's the relevant exchange from The Big Picture (many thanks to Jeff McNeal for providing the link when I couldn't find it):
quote: TBP: Any plans to release BABYLON 5 on DVD?
Mike Finnegan: Yes!
TBP: Widescreen?
Mike Finnegan: To be decided.[/quote]
Remember, this interview took place in March 1999, when Warner Home Video was still continuing the B5 VHS release it had started in the late summer or early fall of 1998. Presumably they were still selling, or WHV wouldn't still be producing them. Yet by the summer of 1999 the release was cut-off with only about half the series released. Did VHS sales suddenly drop off between March and June? If so, why? I think we all know the answer. Why doesn't Warner Bros.?
Regards,
Joe
P.S.
Here's the roll-call of WHV chat participants from Tuesday, and the mailing address. I strongly recommend that anyone who is seriously interested in this issue take time to write a polite, but firm, letter to any or all of the folks on this list expressing his or her feelings about the chat, and the company's handling of the B5 series.
Mike Finnegan
Vice President
Editorial and Programming Services
Paul Hemstreet
Vice-President
Special Features/DVD
Michael Radiloff
Vice-President
DVD Marketing
Kristin Grosshandler
Manager
DVD Special Features
Warner Home Video
4000 Warner Blvd.
Burbank, CA 91522
[Edited last by Joseph DeMartino on October 17, 2001 at 06:18 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks