Whow is excited about the next season of "X-Files"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MickeS, Aug 29, 2001.

1. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I am, at least to see what direction they'll take the show now.
    When does it start?
    /Mike

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Not starting until November, since Fox will be the MLB station for most of October. I'm pretty excited. I was outspoken about liking Robert Patrick as Doggett last season, I like Annabeth Gish as Reyes, and the show has a reasonably non-convoluted setup for the first time in years. The producers have a heck of a challenge ahead of them, in terms of fashioning a post-Mulder direction for the show (last year, the fact of his absense was a shadow over everything else) but it's a big opportunity, too.

3. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

I'll watch it because I want to see how it turns out.
    However, I am not excited about the coming season nor am I expecting much.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Mike, I've been waiting for your post ever since I saw this thread. My day is now complete. [​IMG]
    I'm pretty curious about this season, but mostly because I want to see how Lucy Lawless and Cary Elwes will fit in.
    M.

5. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

I agree with Mike. From what I've read it looks like they just flipped the roles of the two current agents - Dogget is the skeptic and Gish (?) is the believer. Who knows what they're gonna do with Scully, they should have just let her go. The writers have a perfect chance for a clean slate, but I'm not expecting them to take advantage of it. I'll tune in a few times, to see exactly whats going on.
    JQ

6. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

And vice-versa Michael! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I hesitated to reply but decided to do so anyway. I tried to phrase my reply so that I wouldn't offend fans of the show.
    My attitude is "wait and see". I may be pleasantly surprised and I will be the first to heap praises on a good episode.

7. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

There was a time where I would be very excited for the next season of X-Files. Now I couldn't care less. In fact, I forgot all about there being a new season until I saw this thread. None of my friends watch it anymore, and some of them were die hard, cancel all plans for Sunday night, fans.
    The only people I know who watch the show now are teenie-boppers, which doesn't surprse me.
    Jeff

8. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

What, about the current incarnation of The X-Files, appeals to "teenie-boppers"? [​IMG]
    ------------------
    "If we blow up, whatever's left of me is kickin' your butt."

9. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Who knows. I was wondering that myself actually. Maybe older people can see through the lame writing?
    Anyway, I'll shut up now. I think this thread was intended for people who still like the show. [​IMG]
    Jeff

10. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

I'm always excited about a new season of the X-Files. It is still one of the most intelligent shows on TV. Sure, the show has lost alot in the year, but that doesn't mean that the show "sucks." I'll take (almost) any bad episode of The X-Files over a supposedly "good" episode of Buffy.

11. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

Ugh. I just had to defend Buffy in the software forum and now here =(
    Is it really safe to compare these two shows? No. While both deal with 'sci-fi' and 'monsters' they are dealing with these from two different points. X-Files is trying to expose these monsters that no one believes in while Buffy is trying to save the world from monsters that most people know exist.
    Why did you pick Buffy to compare X-Files to? Anyway, since you wanted to, I guarentee if you pick a recent bad episode of the XFiles and compared it to a recent good episode of Buffy you'd be surprised. On XFiles best day and Buffys worst they are both very intelligent shows, Buffy is just more entertaining then the XFiles. I wont even touch on the insane things that take place on XFiles.
    Have you ever really watched Buffy? Maybe you saw an episode here or there, but it sounds like you've fallen into the 'Buffy is for children' mindset.
    JQ

12. JeffH

JeffH Auditioning

The writing for the X-Files has been average to completly bad ever since the movie. Mainly it seems as if it all started when Duchovney got into it with Fox and all of his issues with the show/money. It had a good flow and seemed to be taking you deeper into the conspiracy and mystery up until the year after their movie came out. There was a certain flow to it and then it seemed to be slapped together with bad scripts and no where tie-ins that had no direction at all.
    I know the first 4 seasons were quite good and seemed to have an overall theme. Now, they have totally messed up the entire show. From the Mulder/Scully chemistry to thier relationship personally. We never got to see what all viewers wanted with them and they never gave them any valid direction to take it. If they were going to do it they should have made it a full and complete story arc instead of the slapped together bits and pieces they did.
    My opinion is the characters got poor treatment and the show is now just a piece-mill put together show with the X-Files name. It seems to have worked some, because people are and will watch anything with the words "X-Files" on it. Last season was a perfect example of what it's become and we didn't get any closure to most of anything those of us started watching it for.
    I doubt there will be another movie despite all the talk and rumors about it. Duchovney and Anderson will go different directions and given the problems they had getting Duchovney last season it seems highly unlikely. The show it dead in my opinion and they never gave it the proper treatment of putting it to rest.
    As far as the Buffy comments go, so far the show remains on par with excellent scripts and character development. It has the good scripts the X-Files had for four seasons.
    Regards,
    Jeff
    ------------------
    Visit us on the web at: www.AudioVideoForum.com

13. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I will watch it. I think they should let Gillian Anderson leave. It would be easier to accept Dogget and Reyes. It would also make it easier to explain Mulder's absence. But, they won't do it and will force Anderson to honor her contract, even to the detriment of the storylines.

14. Damian

Damian Agent

I'm going to continue to watch it. I enjoyed last season and look forward to seeing what they do this season.
    Don't forget, Lucy Lawless and Cary Elwes have both been added to the cast for this coming season.
    I think Lucy will be the new mysterious informant (I think) and Cary Elwes will play an Assitant Director who use to date Agent Reyes.
    Should make for some interesting episodes.
    ------------------
    -Damian
    [Edited last by Damian on August 30, 2001 at 05:40 PM]

15. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor