What's new

Whose Line is it Anyway? (1 Viewer)

WayneG

Stunt Coordinator
CTV in Canada replayed the episode the other night with Brad's classic "200 pound snatch" line - except that "snatch" was bleeped out, and the subsequent mention of the word was edited. It wasn't censored for the original broadcast, but somehow for this repeat - at 9PM no less - was.

My first question is why re-broadcast that episode at all since that's the funniest part. Yes, it's a classic episode but if you're editing the classic part out, then what's the point? Secondly, it's okay to show scenes on TV of people being shot and murdered, dead bodies lying on tables, almost naked bodies doing other things, blood flowing on the ground, and various forms of foul language being spoken - but this harmless and very funny line (it is a weight-lifting term after all!) has to be censored. Hmmm. Maybe we have our priorities mixed up.

The TV censors look out at the sniper shootings and the recent spat of shootings in Toronto and say, "leave all the violence on TV, but cut out that word from Whose Line."

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
Sucks, doesn't it? In fact, I remember when Josie Lawrence, a veteran of the original British version of Whose Line, guest starred on the new one. During a round of World's Worst, the topic was restaurants so she stepped forward and said "Welcome to Dead Cats, the only place where you can eat with your p---y." Not only did they bleep out "p---y" but "cat" too!
I read an interview with either Drew or Colin Mochrie where they mentioned what they referred to as "context bleeping." In my opinion, it is stupid and I can only hope to see these episodes uncensored on DVD one day. (Not bloody likely but feel free to correct me...anyone! :))
P.S. But I guess it's okay to poke fun at Michael Jackson.
After a song, I believe Colin said something to the effect of, "Michael Jackson, a wonderful singer" followed by Ryan's "...and a great head coach." Drew cracked up.

WayneG

Stunt Coordinator
I remember that hilarious Josie line as well. They even tried it, I believe, with a French accent but it still got bleeped. It's funny what offends middle America's sensibilities. Say a bad word - censor. Blow someone's head off - okay.

There has been a lot of context bleeping, but fortunately vigilant viewers can pick up what is being said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks