Who's your favourite critic?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_D, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

I have never found a critic whose opinions of movies matches mine. Have any of you ever found a critic who accurately matches your tastes?

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Roger Ebert. I don't always agree with him, but he is well-educated and sensible.

3. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Yah...Ebert doesn't exactly match my tastes 100% of the time...but he's a smart guy with a great understanding of film.

I also like Mike Clark and Elvis Mitchell. I usually agree with Elvis most of the time...

4. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

Another vote for Ebert. We don't agree on many films, but I love his writing, and he often makes me think. My favorite commentary of all time is from Dark City. After I listened to it for the first time, I hit play and listened to it again--without a break. I've never done that before. His Citizen Kane commentary is excellent, too.
    Also, I also applaud his outspoken (and much appreciated) advocacy of OAR on DVD.
    My only nit about Ebert is that he is always screwing up details. I guess its understandable since he sees so many films, but sometimes I feel that those annoying gaffs weaken his reviews.
    EDIT: I would love to see more commentaries by Ebert. I would much rather listen to Ebert's comments than, say, Arnold Schwarzenegger's. I'll bet Ebert comes a lot cheaper than $75,000.00, too! [​IMG]
    So, what do you think about that, Arnold?
    "Exactly..."

5. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

You're never going to find one you agree with all the time. I like Ebert cause he's knowlegable even when I disagree with him. I dislike Roeper because's he's kind of stupid, even when I agree with his recommendations. The guy I really hate is some neo-nazi who's name I can't remember at the moment.
    But in the end, I'm the only critic I agree with all the time, which is why I don't make judgments on films until I've seen them myself [​IMG]

6. Steeve Bergeron

Steeve Bergeron Cinematographer

Steeve Bergeron
    I like Roger Ebert. For the same reasons stated above.

7. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I usually agree with Ebert, we both seem to think that Gladiator and Fellowship of the Ring are nothing special and that Black Hawk Down is one of the best films of the year.

8. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    Although crude and vulgar I have actually found B. FATT to be more reliable than most other film critics.
    I also like Roger Ebert & Mr. Cranky.

9. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Roger Ebert and James Berardinelli.

I think James is a bit hard on Oliver Stone though.

10. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Another vote for Roger Ebert.

I also like Frank Decaro (sp?) on The Daily Show. While it seems like it's a one joke piece, his reviews seem to be his genuine opinon, and they are funny. I just wish they'd let him review stuff more often.

11. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Roger Ebert and Mike Clark.

Crawdaddy

12. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    First of all: I don't expect any critic to have the same opinions as I do. So I cannot answer your question in that respect. In fact I would be surprised if someone existed (AND happened to be a film critic) who's opinion copied mine all the time. I would get rather suspicious. [​IMG]
    Now, in the vein of other posters here, I can truly agree with a choice for Roger Ebert. Before I see a film, I often only read his first and last paragraph: not because he is in the habit of spilling spoilers, but because I consider almost any information a spoiler.
    It suffices to form my opinion, e.g. to buy a DVD unseen.
    After I watched the movie myself, I love to read his review. Ebert is a well-educated, witty and thoughtful writer and an apparent and true lover of the film medium.
    I may disagree now and then, but that's of no consequence. Examples: I very much liked (and agreed with) his insightful review of Dogma. He made exactly the points I would have liked to make myself. And I disagreed with him on Gladiator (but it's rather complicated to explain why I liked the movie after all), but I like the review.
    And now a strange turn, perhaps.
    I also like Leonard Maltin. Again, I don't have to agree, but he helps me making a decision beforehand (and absolutely no spoilers [​IMG]). His "summaries" are very useful, both, to make up my mind for a preliminary judgement (e.g. to go see or not, to buy or not). And in his case, I like to have them as a quick reminder of what a specific film was about (in case I cannot remember it right away).
    (Too bad he's no longer on the IMDb!!)
    Cees

13. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

Another vote for Roger Ebert. I also like the gang from the AV Club. They're usually pretty harsh when a flick deserves it.

14. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

Roger Ebert and Scott Weinberg.

15. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G

16. Scott W.

Scott W. Second Unit

I always liked Gene Siskel. R.I.P. Now, I'd have to say Ebert.

Scott

17. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

jay sherman

18. Patrick Wilmes

Patrick Wilmes Stunt Coordinator

Ebert,although some of his picks lately have really suprised me.

19. Darren H

Darren H Second Unit

Scott Tobias (The Onion)

Jonathon Rosenbaum (The Chicago Reader)

Amy Taubin (The Village Voice)

Tobias's tastes probably fall more closely in line with my own than any other critic's. I don't always agree with Rosenbaum and Taubin, but I respect them greatly and really enjoy reading their reviews.

20. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

[​IMG] Tom and Matt: you guys rock! I just want people to read my stuff. I don't really expect a lot of praise. [​IMG] (While we're on the subject of HTF's resident critics, I'd like to throw a little pat on the back to Mark Pfeiffer. Damn good writer.)
    My favorite reviewers are Walter Chaw* (www.filmfreakcentral.com), James Berardinelli (www.reelvirews.com) and Roger Ebert also. I very rarely agree with Ebert's reviews, but the guy is world-renowned for good reason.
    Unfortunately, there are a LOT more reviewers that I dislike than I enjoy, but since listing them and complaining would seem quite unprofessional, I'll just leave them anonymous. [​IMG]
    *If you are unfamiliar with this reviewer, I whole-heartedly recommend checking out his stuff. Nobody (and I mean nobody) skewers the ridiculous artifice of bad moviemaking like this guy.