What's new

who's with me for seasons of Mission: Impossible? (1 Viewer)

ChristopherBlig

Stunt Coordinator
I was in a museum a few weeks ago and noticed a book discounted way below cover price and it reminded me about one show. The book was "The Complete Mission: Impossible Dossier" and it covered the show's entire run including the Australian comeback in the late 80s and not including anything about the movies. reading it intrigued me enough to say "what's the deal with this show and why isn't it rerun anymore??"

With that and the VCR sections full of "The Best of Mission: Impossible" tapes, I'm hoping sometime in the very near future, season sets of this great show become available and soon. The scene is set, the freeze frame and then the match with the "duh duh da-da duh duh bum bum"

Who's with me on this one?

I am.I've never gotten to see the original series and would really like to.I'll buy it if it's released on dvd.I would like to have the 80's version too.I thought that series was pretty good.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
I have seasons 3 and 4 from film so I would really like the first 2 seasons. I don't care for the later years that much so I can live without seasons 5 thru 7 and the re-done ones in the 80s were too dumbed down. They couldn't just work the elaborate schemes, they had to explain them as they did them because they felt the audience wasn't bright enough to figure it out by watching.

David Brent

Stunt Coordinator
I'm eagerly awaiting season sets of Mission: Impossible.

I'm just fearful that Paramount may decide to skip the more obscure first-season, which starred Steven Hill instead of Peter Graves, or that they might decide to go for "Best Of.." collections instead of season-by-season sets.

There are simply too many brilliant episodes to miss.

A third Mission: Impossible film is about to start filming for release next year, so although it doesn't bear much relation to the TV show it might at least prompt its release on DVD.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I really wish they would do this. I could start a rant about 'why do they release ... but not MI?' but I'll restrain myself.

I really loved this series when I was growing up, though even at the time it struck me as odd that in episodes set in Eastern Europe, the technical expert (Barney?) was the only coloured guy in the whole country, and nobody noticed anything out of the ordinary when he donned a workman's uniform and went into a bank/government building, etc. I also loved the fake Serbo-Croat type signs that were just sufficiently english-like as to be decipherable (a friend of mine insists that there is one episode with a sign for 'toiletski' in the background).

They showed all the MI episodes at lunchtimes over the school/university summer holidays a couple of years ago - just before I bought my DVD recorder. Grr...

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
If I were a betting man, I would expect a movie tie-in when M:I 3 hits the big screen.

Gord

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the first season, Paramount did release M:I on laserdisc in 1996. I have Volume 1. It includes 2 episodes only, the Pilot and episode 40 called The Photographer. I don't know how many Volumes were released ultimately. But DVD came out the next year.

One triva question on the jacket: Who was the only IMF member never seen smoking a cigarette?

Bryn G

Agent

I'm guessing Willy the strong-man (Peter Lupis). But it's kind of an odd question. In the later seasons they had any number of IMF members going in and out -- were they ALL shown smoking?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Bryn- Correct. As for the later seasons, I don't know. I thought it'd be fun to post the question that was on the LD jacket. But it could apply to the 2 shows on the LD.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
a sure buy for me too.

and when i finally did start watching these in syndication religiously about 10 yrs ago (when the FX network first hit) i was surprised that Peter Graves wasn't with the show from the start- but i quickly warmed to the Steve Hill ones, and i think those may actually be among my favorites of the entire run.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Loved the show growing up. Always wish the movies would have been as good but they were made not as ensembles where the IMS team outwit the bad guys but as Tom Cruise vehicles.

I would like to see these again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks