Who's using the free pull down 76" screen with the Infocus 4805?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Frank_D, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Frank_D

Frank_D Agent

And what do you think of it?

I just got the 4805 and was wondering if I am going to want to wait for the free screen which is a mail in rebate so it could take about 6 to 8 weeks or go with something else.

The two things I wonder about are it being to small (sitting about 12ft away) and the quality of a pulldown (edges wrinkling up)

Anyone? Thanks in advance.

2. John S

John S Producer

I don't think they got it free. But I installed about 3 weeks ago now a 4805 and a 76" Pull Down screen. Seemed really good to me, it was a living room enviroment, basic close-able blinds for the windows is the only light control they use. Seems pretty good, they are using it has their only display.

3. Paul-D

Paul-D Stunt Coordinator

I got the Costco deal at the end of January. I have the free pull-down screen and I love it. I didn't have to waste my time building my own screen. I sit about 10 feet away and I think it look terrific. I couldn't be happier. I have my setup in a condo with no light control (yet) on the 3 living room windows. Sure during the day the picture may be a little washed out, but at night it looks lovely. Once I can get my hands on a digital camera I'll be posting pictures.

Good luck,
    Paul

4. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    I didn't wait for my rebate screen. I built a 91" screen with blackout cloth for under $70.00. After I received my rebate, I hung the rebate screen over 1/2 of my DIY screen and compared the picture quality. I was afraid that the quality of a "real" screen would make me unhappy with my DIY and I would end up spending hundreds of dollars on a 91" "real " screen. I watched Terminator 3 on both screens at the same time & I couldn't tell the difference. My DIY screen doesn't have any wrinkles. The other thing with pull-down screens, is they might move if your heat/air vents will blow on it. I did think that it is a little silly Infocus would wait 6-8 weeks to allow their customers to fully enjoy their projectors waiting for a screen.
    My seating is about 13' from the screen -Basement Theater and the 91" size is perfect. I would definitely recommend calibrating your 4805 once you set it up. It made a big improvement with mine.[​IMG]

5. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Like Paul, I too got the Costco deal in Jan. I was actually suprised by the quality of the screen. It is all metal and the screen material is surrounded by an inch and a half black border around the bottom and sides. The top does not have the border......the only negative about it. I use mine about twice a week for movies and it stays rolled up the rest of the time. After almost 2 months I have no wrinkles or waves.....knock on wood....yet and it has performed above my expectations. Yes eventually it will get waves like all pull downs (almost) but by then I will have made my own screen.