Who's using external amps with their flagship receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Yatchak, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Mark Yatchak

Mark Yatchak Agent

I own the Pioneer 49TX and B&W CDM 1SE speakers (mains/center will be upgraded soon). I have no complaints. But I do wonder. So, those of you who are using flagships with external amps, what are your thoughts? Which amps are you using and why? Please don't chime in with the "should have gone with separates" or " why a flagship as a pre pro?" argument since it is to late, I already own the 49TX.

2. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

You say "no complaints now" what do you want to accomplish?
    Do you need more power? Do your speakers present a difficult load to your receiver?
    You are going to upgrade your speakers soon? Have you a particular model in mind?
    There is no magic here, depending on the amp you choose you should not hear any difference unless your receiver is having some sort of dificulty. Typicaly "Heavy Receivers" have decent amps that are fine for 99% of the speakers out there.
    There are those that say their whole world changed once they put a seperate amp on their receiver. I dont think you can have too many amps, so I am not against adding external amplifiers, I have seen too many dissapointed people however that expect more than they get. IMO if I wasnt having difficulty with my system that created the need for an external amp I would put my money on something else. That said if at some point in the future you will be moving too seperates then using your receiver as a temp pre-amp is a good thing, allowing you to buy 1 piece at a time, I do like the flexibility you get with seperates, however it is tough to beat some of these "Flagship" receivers without spending a ton.
    I do know people who have high dollar seperate systems who choose a bedroom receiver for its ability to be a backup Pre/Pro when and if you need to send it out for repair or upgrades. The HK 320 (I assume the 325 as well) is a perfect example, you can get one for 4 bucks, great BR system and great back up.
    If you are curious, borrow an amp from a friend and check it out. . .
    Excuse the length, or soapbox, I didnt want to come across negative but I did want to get my message across. Again All In MY Humble Opinion.

3. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

I use a Carver AV-705x 5 channel amp along with my Elite VSX-09TX receiver. I bi-amp the fronts and use the 5th channel for the center. The receiver drives the rears.

BTW, I'm am going to upgrade to an Elite VSX-49TXi later this year!!

4. Matt D K

Matt D K Stunt Coordinator

It's not really a Flagship, But I'm using the Onkyo TXSR800 with Adcom amps. 545II on fronts, and 2535 for center/surrounds. My main reason for doing so were my Polk LSi speakers (4ohms). Never used the Onkyo's internal power so not sure of sound difference.

5. Mark Yatchak

Mark Yatchak Agent

You say "no complaints now" what do you want to accomplish?
    Do you need more power? Do your speakers present a difficult load to your receiver?

Not at all. What I'm looking to accomplish is simply, better sound.

I didn't want to come across negative but I did want to get my message across. Again All In MY Humble Opinion.

You didn't come across negative at all. I value your opinion. As a matter of fact, your post and others from another forum is leading me toward putting more money towards speakers. It does seem that a person would have to spend two to three thousand dollars on amps to really make much of a difference over and above what you get from a flagship as is. So, it seems spending more on speakers may be the logical conclusion. I will however, "borrow" an amp and listen.