Who's up for The Waltons? THE HOMECOMING - A CHRISTMAS STORY is coming!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by David Lambert, Jun 12, 2003.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Confirmed by Paramount, and largely ignored in the "Paramount September Releases" thread, fans of "The Waltons" should be aware that September 23rd marks the DVD debut of The Homecoming - A Christmas Story.

Very exciting! Let's hope that good sales leads to season sets of the regular series! [​IMG]

2. Scott David

Scott David Stunt Coordinator

Do I detect a note of sarcasm in that last line? [​IMG]

It may not be cool to admit it, but I for one AM excited by "The Homecoming" finally coming to DVD. It's long been one of my all-time favorite holiday movies, highly underrated.

3. David Lambert

4. Scott David

5. Jo_C

Jo_C Second Unit

By the way,

If you're wondering why Paramount is releasing the legendary pilot for "The Waltons" and not Warner Bros. (which now has the Lorimar library including the "Waltons" TV series), this is because "The Homecoming..." was produced not by Lorimar, but by CBS, and Paramount is the sister company to CBS, which would now make Paramount the video rights holders.

For you purists out there, Fox Video originally had the video rights (as they held license with CBS at the time), but after the merger, rights went to Paramount.

Anyway, to see it uncut for the first time in years will be enjoyable indeed.

6. Scott David

I'm reviving this thread to find out if anyone bought this recently and had a chance to watch it. How's the A/V quality?

7. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Thanks for reviving this thread, I missed it originally. I too would welcome season sets of the TV series. That time compressed crap they air on TNN is completely unwatchable.

8. David Lambert

I haven't found a copy of this yet, but then my son was feverish on Tuesday and I was home watching him, and then Weds had a long day at work making up for lost time. So I've barely had time for getting even the most easy-to-find stuff so far this week.

It's at the top of my list of remaining titles to find, though. I'll let you know when I find it, and where.

9. Art_AD

Art_AD Stunt Coordinator

A few weeks ago I was canceled all my pre orders with an online dvd retailer (after I received a dvd 3 weeks after street date, when I was use to getting them the monday before). Now that I think of it it was a bad move, as all the tittles not considered big by retailers have been really tough to find lately. I looked all over for this (I think this is one of the best family shows ever on tv) and Scrooge (Mall video store clerk: The Bill Murrey version is not in yet, so I said Scrooge not Scrooged and she said she had no record of it being released) and haven't found these anywhere. Most stores say they haven't set up their "holiday section" yet. This worries me as 10/7 is also approaching and a lot of holiday movies are being released that day. I do not think I have to worry about "A christmas Story" and "Christmas Vacation" but the smaller ones like Santa Baby (from Rankin Bass)The Christmas that almost Wasn't, A Freezerburnt Christmas are going to be a challenge unless I wait or online order again.

10. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

11. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I just ordered Homecoming for $13.50CAN from a Canadian etailler. Hard to pass up at that price. Who has the rights for the TV series? Is it Paramount? I'm confused (big surprise).

I don't know about the later seasons, but I know I'd be interested in at least the first few before everyone started getting married and moving away.

Goodnight Mary Ellen.

12. andrew markworthy

13. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

The "Homecoming" blurb claims Edgar Bergen returned for the series. Incorrect. It was Will Geer.

14. David Lambert

David, you're right. Thanks for that info...I've corrected it (3 months later! [​IMG] ).

15. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

16. David Lambert

I haven't found it yet!

17. Frank Abeyta

Frank Abeyta Extra

I purchased a copy from Borders for $12.99 (minus 20% coupon).

The video is Full Frame as originally shown on Broadcast Television.

The picture quality is suprisingly good for a TV production from over 30 years ago.

The indoor scenes look particularly clean without any artifacting that I could see on a 32" TV. The picture was smooth yet sharp and colors seemed just right.

Exterior scenes have some dirt, specks, etc. but nothing too distracting.

The Mono audio track is certainly acceptable.

No supplements whatsover unless you condsider chapter stops an extra.

Overall, I was pleasantly suprised by the DVD quality (except for the dearth of bonus features).

If you look for this DVD at Borders, be advised that they had it stashed in the "Holiday Movies" section. I had to ask for help to find it.

18. Scott David

Thanks, Frank. As long as the A/V quality is good, that's the main thing I care about (although a retrospective would have been nice). I've checked two Borders stores near Atlanta, and neither one had a "holiday section" set up yet, nor did they have the DVD itself (or "Scrooge" for that matter). Deep Discount DVD is selling it for $9.36 with free shipping, so I might just order it online to save money and the hassle of checking out local b&m's only to come up empty-handed.

19. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

"Take that bootleg whiskey out yonder and POUR IT ON THE GRRROUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNND!!!!"

I love this movie,
    always have...cant wait to find it.

20. BBbrowd

BBbrowd Stunt Coordinator

Chris
    Jefferson Boy, what you doing up there with your door locked again??

We were just talking about this movie and now will you looooook?

This is great news. I'd like to find the DVD as well.