What's new

Who's the next Renee Zellwegger? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I happen to catch "Jerry Maguire" on Fox tonight, and it reminded me of how Renee Zellwegger came out of nowhere to get a nice supporting role in the film (Cube Gooding, Jr. notwithstanding), and she's gone on to become quite the lead actress herself.

So, my question would entail: who's the next "supporting" actress that's ready to make the leap into the big leagues of leading lady and will have some staying power (3-5 films in the near future at least)?

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
It's hard to call, since for anyone to "come out of nowhere", they have to be pretty unknown. One of the big hurdles is that there are few actors working in independent films and then making the jump to studio films. Now, it seems like most go the opposite route-get the big films and either stay there or venture into indie movies.
My choice would be Jena Malone. She has been in a few films, but as of yet, she really hasn't had a breakout role.
Bruce

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
That's an interesting question. I would say Naomi Watts because of her amazing performance in "Mulholland Drive".
Brittany Murphy, from "Sidewalks of New York" and the terrible "Don't Say A Word" is another potential. Great actress.
Jason

Nate Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
I saw that movie tonight as well (well, the last 30minutes) and I too caught something that I forgot...
...how hot she was :D

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
I would have to say Julia Styles or Jena Malone would have been the two most interesting young "quiet" actresses out there today. Julia has picked some interesting titles, and has appeared in only a couple of "Teen flicks" (That I can remember). I find it interesting how many Shakespeare adaptations she has been in.

Jena, I have only seen in Life as a House, but she was pretty good. I think she has some reach to her. Promising. She needs a break away role like Natalie Portman has had, say in Leon or Beautiful Girls.

Ok, dumb, I have seen Jena in Donnie Darko, and Contact as well. Oh, and spelling errors corrected.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Patrick, have you seen Suspicious River yet? It was just released on DVD, stars Molly Parker. I just picked it up today, will let you know how it looks.

Bare bones disc by TVA International, with DD 5.1, 2.0, trailer and 1.85:1 anamorphic. Oddly, (If I remember correctly) the trailer looked to be 2.35:1 non-anamorphic.

Edited for MORE errors.

Richard WWW

Stunt Coordinator
with Witherspoon having made a hit out of legally blonde, I'm not sure it's fair to say she's coming out of nowhere anymore. She's already headlined a hundred million-grossing film.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Kirsten Dunst is huge now, so she is not the "next", but after having the "Vamipire" exposure she then popped back up to become this major star rather quickly. Not just a pop star either, she is flexing good range early on. She is here to stay.

Witherspoon is similar.

Styles is on the rise for sure.

Watts took her opportunity in M.Drive and made it pay off big time. She will get the chances now, but she has to continue. A couple more films and she would really seem like the next Renee (considering how out of nowhere she came to get tons of recognition in Muholland).

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Molly Parker would probably be the only one named who would "qualify", and she may be too well known. Remember that Zellwegger came virtually out of nowhere. She'd made, what, that Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie and The Whole Wide World when Crowe chose her? She was about as unknown as is possible to hold down a major role in a major film.

I don't know if she has any ambitions to make English-language films, but Audrey Tautou broke out with Amelie. She had done very little prior to that film, and I suspect she will sustain a decent career.

No one else comes to mind...

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Steeve, how did I know you were going to say that?
You know? I thought Brooke Smith (of Series 7 and a small part in Silence of the Lambs) was going to convert that little movie into a real career. Sadly, she went for Bad Company instead. :frowning:
Jena Malone has had my eye for some time. Bastard Out of Carolina, Cheaters, and a brief part in Contact were all memorable.
Anyone think Samantha Morton is going to be able to convert Minority Report into something else? I know she's been in several smaller films, but that is some great exposure.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I don't see Jena Malone as a leading actress capable of opening a film (at this time).

Cameron Diaz came out of nowhere (The Mask) to hit it big (I still can't believe she's getting $20 million for Charlie's Angels 2, while Drew Barrymore is getting $14 million plus 12% on the backside, and Lucy Liu only gets $4 million).

Julia Stiles...mmmm...maybe, time will tell.

Kirsten Dunst has been in movies forever (since her break-out stint in "Interview of a Vampire" as a young child actress). But she's almost getting to the point of carrying films.

Marisa Tomei sort of threw away overnight stardom on iffy roles after winning an Best Supporting Oscar for "My Cousin Vinny" though she had a nice performance in "In The Bedroom" last year.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Here's my list:
Christina Hendricks
Melissa Sagemiller
Vera Farmiga
...or maybe I just like women with long necks... :)
Brad

Stevan Lay

Second Unit
I'll nominate Natalie Portman. I think she can step up and become the next Renee or Meg Ryan in those feel-good, uplifting Romantic Comedy features. She's got that unique charm that commands attention.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Anyone think Samantha Morton is going to be able to convert Minority Report into something else? I know she's been in several smaller films, but that is some great exposure.
I wanted to say Samantha Morton as well, but since she did get an Oscar nomination for Sweet and Lowdown, she isn't going to sneak up on anyone.
Bruce

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Guys, you do realize I'm wondering how many actresses will be able to open films (like an Ashley Judd) in the near future after a start in supporting roles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks