What's new

who's returning their outlaw 950? (1 Viewer)

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
RAF, Merc?? I know you're out there somewhere?? (OK, maybe not Merc). Rotel-1066, another Norman Invasion is imminent.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Curiously, so far the Outlaw public response has been a resounding silenssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. Maybe after the 30 day evaluation period expires for most current 950 owners, Outlaw will announce something. Like they fixed the problem in the next 950 batch.
Will,

All I can do when I hear a statement that is extremely merited such as this is :b By the way, I spell checked your quote, and fixed a few things.....

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
There's nothing more for me to say on this because I don't have a hiss problem. I don't count jacking up the volume to maximum and placing your ear against the speaker grill as a "hiss problem." I hear absolutely no hiss (never have in the two beta units and my final unit) from a distance of 1 inch or more from the speakers, so this is not an issue with me nor should it be with anyone else who experiences the same thing.

I'm not saying that some people might not be experiencing hiss at normal listening distance and volume, but you have to remember that there are two possibilities here:
  1. They have a faulty unit
  2. Something else in their system (faulty power, wiring, other components, etc.) is the culprit, not the 950.

In case #1 Outlaw will work with you. In case #2 you either find the source of the problem or, if you are not satisfied with the product, you send it back. Too many people have come forward on the various boards saying that they don't have a hiss problem with their 950s for this to be a flaw.

Some people here are making it sound like everyone is experiencing hiss. That is simply not the case. They are creating a scenario that is just not true. A few faulty units with hiss does not make it a problem for all. It is not a design flaw as far as I can tell or everyone would hear unacceptable hiss.

And for those debating the supposed "hiss" without ever having even auditioned a unit? You all know my feelings on that.

'Nuff said.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Having heard neither unit, but relying on the intelligent input of listeners across this forum, I'm disturbed by the lack of reviews (either positive or negative) of 950 owners during the last three weeks. The Rotel-1066 thread seems to be alive, well, thriving, and attractive to those of us who have $1500 (or less) to throw down on a processor that will deliver the goods, and is upgradeable, to boot. Perhaps you do, in fact, get what you pay for. Anyone want my space in line?? (Early Feb).

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I'm disturbed by the lack of reviews (either positive or negative) of 950 owners during the last three weeks.
I believe the last two or three weeks they have quit shipping to figure out what the deal is with the hiss. Wow Jan, you and I have been walking the same path the last few days. For some reason I can't resist replying to your posts :D Good luck with the STB.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Once again people are jumping to conclusions without a parachute.
  • Outlaw announced at the NYC show that the reason shipment has been stopped recently is because of a shortage of a critical part, not any hiss related issue. They expect everything to resume shortly (if it hasn't already) and once started to have the back orders cleared up within a month.
    This all from the Outlaws in response to a question at the Expo.
  • And on the matter of a "flaw" -
    A flaw (my definition) would be something that shows up in all units, not just a selected few. I can't speak for your particular situation, Will, since there are so many variables, so I don't know why your 950 hisses more than your cheap Sony. Have you considered returning to your cheap Sony since you seem to like it better?
    I repeat, enough people have come forward to say that they don't have a hiss problem with their 950s to lead me to believe that this is not an issue. Some people are trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill on this.
    And, to make it perfectly clear, I'm not talking about those few who have a hiss issue for some reason (all product releases will have a few units that need attention and also some installations probably have other hiss issues from other components). I certainly understand that it would be a "mountain" to those with hiss.
    But not a flaw, or we would all be hearing this.
  • Finally, I would think that the reason not more "reviews" have been posted on the 950 is because some people are too busy listening to the 950 rather than talking about it. This falls into the category of "No News is Good News" as far as I'm concerned. If the 950 truly sounded bad you just know people would be stating this.
Those still waiting for their 950's, don't let all this talk discourage you. Your wait will be worth it and, of course, the 30 day in home trial is a much better thing to believe in than anything that anyone including me says here. Let your ears be the judge not words written here.

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
Another possible reason for the appearent lack of 950 reviews is that some of us are tired of being told that they're "ignoring obvious flaws" and/or "belittling those who are honestly having problems" when we post positive comments.

Sean M

Stunt Coordinator
I've had a 950 for about three weeks now, and outside of wanting more bells, whistles, knobs, buttons, widgets and doohickeys (this is my first non-receiver), I couldn't be happier. I have no hiss problem, at any volume, at any distance where my ear is not pressed against the speaker grill. Even then the hiss is very slight. The room has to be completely silent for me to hear it at all. There might be some defective units out there, but the design is certainly not "flawed".

I haven't posted anything about it until now because, well, frankly I couldn't care less about all the talk flying about on the message boards now. There are already plenty of reviews telling you it's great. One more is not necessary, imo. Far as I'm concerned, I have reached the point of diminishing returns with respect to sound quality. If I buy another pre-pro, it will be for more functionality and connectivity, a sound quality upgrade will not be the priority. Not downgrading the sound will be.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I think Patrick hit the nail on the head Jan. I was going to write that originally last night but I didn't want to start a war. Whenever I try to say something nice about the 950 I have some guy with a hiss breathing down my neck about how insensitive I am and another guy with a 1066 telling me how harsh it actually sounds. Its not worth it to me and I am sure its the same for the other 950 owners that are lurking. Good luck making your decisions. If you need help with Outlaw I will be on their forum, but even that is being overrun by non Outlaw supporters...

RAF, I apologize for jumping to conclusions, looks like the hysteria is getting to me...

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I had, what I would consider, a fairly noisy unit. Not "9 feet away" noisy but a goodly distance from the tweeters at normal movie volume. My other DTS processor with the exact same system was very, very quiet (like RAF was explaining about his noiseless Model 950).

I discussed this in another thread about the hiss issues, but I guess I'll post here too. Yesterday I sent e-mails to Outlaw, and Scott actually telephoned me soon after. Great service is an understatement!

At least from my impression from talking to Scott was that he could not yet explain what it was they corrected or changed from earlier production models and that hopefully this one will be quieter than my previous unit. It seems I was, supposidly, one of the first to get a (perhaps) modified 950. I have no idea if software was changed as well either. Parts of the conversation seemed a bit cryptic, but if he can't disclose these things yet then I can understand why. He did seem concerned with my overall satisfaction, and I appreciate that. Scott's a good guy.

Just as soon as I can swap out these puppies and run the new one through some listening tests I will report back with the results I found.

Dan

W

Will

Thanks Dan. I hope they fix the hiss problem that many of us hear in our 950's from many feet away at low volume. Despite it's greater hiss, I prefer my 950 to what the 950 replaced, in my case, a cheap Sony receiver used as a pre/pro. No surprise there. But I would prefer a 950 without the hiss problem, to a 950 with the problem, assuming the Outlaws are able to locate and fix the problem.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
NOTICE!!!
I want to retract a statement I made just recently in my postings about the phone conversation I had with Scott. There was a bit of miscommunication between us as to the impression this is the start of a global fix-all for a general problem with the 950. Yes, even phone conversations are not immune from misunderstandings (and I thought it was just the internet :laugh: ).
That does not seem to be the case, and Scott just corrected me, rightly. It seems to me like a handful of 950's with excessive noise (like mine and a few others mentioned before in other posts) were probably manufactured (this does happen to most electronic products from time to time), but was not as a whole a problem with all the 950's.
Those few problem units were being dealt with on a case by case basis. I'm sure that means if the noise is above and beyond most normal levels.
(This is my opinion here) So don't get in an uproar and start calling for replacements and special treatment if you have a tiny bit of hissing, which is normal for most products (as RAF and others have stated). What I mean by a tiny bit, is having to put your ear up to the tweeter to hear anything. Most products do create something. On the other hand, hearing something from 4-9 feet back then yes, I would say something might not be right with your particular unit and/or power cleanliness, etc. A lot of variables here, and this can be a frustrating matter.
I don't want to blow any of this out of proportion, and I hope none of you do either.
Dan

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
This is one of those things that's going to be blown all out of proportion.

Outlaws HISS.

Parasounds HUM.

Bose CRAP.

Well skip that last one...

I would hope that Outlaw themselves makes a formal statement. It makes the Rotel look at that much better given that it does not hiss which diminishes the strengths that the 950 has.

Parasound have at least made an informal statement so much so that I believe that they would do anything to reduce this in current products.

T.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
What was wrong with the 1050?
Vince if you still here:
The 6th channel on the 1050 was running "large" no matter where the setting was,also the "pseudo EX processing only worked with DD signal not with DTS.
All current versions are free from those "problems".

W

Will

But if you purchased one of the early 1050s that had those "problems" Outlaw, according to their FAQ, will not fix those problems for free. It's not under warranty. Instead Outlaw charges for the fix, only pays shipping one way, and you'll probably be without your 1050 for some weeks while Outlaw fixes your 1050 according to the FAQ.

RichardMA

Second Unit
Rotel-1066 thread seems to be alive, well, thriving, and attractive to those of us who have $1500 (or less) to throw down on a processor that will deliver the goods, and is upgradeable, to boot. Perhaps you do, in fact, get what you pay for. Anyone want my space in line?? (Early Feb).

Think of it this way; Wait till someone pays $1700
for the "Atlantic" unit (950) and it's hissy. Now that's
a problem.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
The beauty of this forum is that we all have the luxury of spending thousands of dollars in our own minds, and it doesn't cost us a cent. Outlaw, you are still in the running. Rotel, so are you. Meridian.....well, maybe someday!!!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks