What's new

who's returning their outlaw 950? (1 Viewer)

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator
Now that the 30 day period is over or coming close to an end for the first batch of shipments, I was wondering who is shipping their 950 back. I intend to keep mine, even with the hiss issue still not resolved.

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
If the hiss issue indicates defective design or QC that means it should roll over into the warranty period.

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
Russell_T,
Based on previous experiences with Outlaw, I agree. When they figure out what's causing this issue on certain systems, I'd expect them to help out those who've reported the problem. They're not superhuman or anything, but based on my discussions with them, and their prior actions, they really do take their customers seriously and really do want to do right by all of us.

W

Will

That's not always true. The Outlaws upgraded their 1050 receiver to correct problems found in an earlier review by S&V. But Outlaw didn't fix the newly discovered problems for free, for their existing customers. Only new customers got the upgrade without paying extra. According to the Outlaw site at http://www.outlawaudio.com/support/faq_topics.html#
A. As a service to our customers, we will upgrade any unit for a nominal charge ($50). Also, you must pay the inbound shipping and we will return the unit prepaid. Please note however, that it will take about two to three weeks to upgrade the unit, and you will be without it during that time.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Will- Since this is a hardware upgrade and there seemed to be many happy owners of the original 1050, I don't think the 50 bucks is unreasonable. Had the outlaw changed the model number to say, 1051, it would have been viewed as the new improved model. Such a nominal fee for an improvement is a plus and an option that many other owners of non-upgradable receivers would love to have. I'm not an Outlaw owner so, unless the defect was serious and received unaminous complaints, the Outlaws seemed to have handled the problem in an acceptable way.

W

Will

JackS,
Since the Outlaws charged the early Outlaw 1050 customers to fix problems Sound and Vision found with the Outlaw 1050, the Outlaws may also charge the early Outlaw 950 customers to fix Outlaw 950 problems. Who knows for sure if Outlaw will fix the 950 problems (naturally they aren't talking right now), but it stands to reason they might fix some problems in future rollouts of the 950. And then, they might charge early customers to upgrade their 950's.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Will, I, like others I'm sure, hope they do offer a fix for this. If not they would be leaving some customers high and dry. It would be a major mistake in my book especially after how well Rotel responded to their customers about the hiss problem. Outlaw is treading on dangerous grounds right now and hopefully for everyone involved it will be solved in a efficient and simple manner.
Vince, I don't know for sure but I remember Merc used to refer to it and it was one of the reasons he returned it I believe. That was before the update. I know someone here remembers what it was.

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
Will,
I don't recall ever reading any posts from anyone saying that they had to pay to have Outlaw "fix" any problems? In fact, I seem to recall reading all sorts of posts stating that Outlaw had shipped replacement units and return shipping lables to the folks who reported problems ... at no charge. That situation was part of what helped develop their reputation for customer service.
I believe someone asked the Outlaws about the section of the FAQ that you quoted and the reply was something along the line of "updates and changes" would be covered under the $50 fee. Fixes were covered under the warranty.
Vince,
It was two years ago, right when the 1050 came out. I can't remember exactly what the problem was, although I vaguely seem to recall one had something to do with the noise floor leading to a change in the op amps being installed. As far as I recall, all shipped units that were reported to have the problem were replaced at no charge. Also there were several cases of units running hotter than the new owners felt was proper ... Outlaw replaced all of them as well ... again, at no charge.
These problems were in the very first production run and, to the best of my knowledge, fully fixed before the second run. All units received back after being replaced were retrofitted with the "fixes" before being sold as b-stock. There shouldn't be any units in circulation with any of those problems.

W

Will

According to my reading of the Outlaw FAQ, early purchasers of the 1050 who didn't want to pay Outlaw to upgrade their 1050 to the upgraded specs (and be without their 1050) still have un-upgraded 1050's. One could say these upgrades fixed a problem with the 1050, detected by Sound and Vision. But the Outlaws said it's an upgrade and charged any early customer who wanted their unit fixed. Subsequent production runs of the 1050 had the upgrade built in, no charge.

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
Will,

I'll be the first one to say that I've got a lousy memory. And I'm often wrong about things. But I was rather heavily involved with Outlaw back then since I was one of the five beta testers for the 1050 ... including the so-called "fixed" versions. I honestly don't recall ever hearing of anyone having to pay to have their unit "upgraded". So. Could you please refresh my memory of who reported having to pay to have their 1050 fixed or upgraded?

And, to get this thread back on topic, are you returning your 950? It certainly sounds like you're quite unhappy with the "useabilty" aspect of the unit based on some of your earlier posts.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I am not returning mine because I haven't got it yet because I haven't ordered it yet because (now) I'm waiting for a fix to the hiss problem to be announced before I do order it (whew!). :)

TomH

Second Unit
I still have not seen anything I would rather have for under 2K. I am keeping it but I would like to see a response from Outlaw regarding the hiss. The hiss is faint and really does not affect the performance but it really should not be there. I would pay a service charge and shipping if necessary.
Tom

W

Will

I would like to see a response from Outlaw regarding the hiss.
Me too. Curiously, so far the Outlaw public response has been a resounding silenssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. Maybe after the 30 day evalution period expires for most current 950 owners, Outlaw will announce something. Like they fixed the problem in the next 950 batch. :)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I'm just hoping that they get the hiss fixed by the time I get around to paying for mine (I'm low on the list...reserved in April). When I first got into HT, I had a Sony receiver that hissed and it drove me nuts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks