Who's responsible for secuity tags 'built-in' to my fancy SEs?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Frank@N, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Frank@N

Frank@N Screenwriter

Who's responsible for security tags 'built-in' to my fancy SEs?

I first noticed this problem with the Legend SE awhile back: the security tag was placed *behind* the clear plastic tray and was attached to the backing (which in this case was plastic).

I was able to insert a thin knife and shave the tag off and shake it out.

Fast forward to SE releases of the The Mission and Color Purple: more 'built-in' tags but now stuck to the paper backing!

It might be possible to remove these tags, but running a sharp object between a super sticky tag and the paper backing is asking for trouble.

Robin Hood SE seems to have been spared, possibly due to the nice character shots on the paper backing.

I'm guessing that these devices are placed in the packaging during manufacturing as a result of some agreement between Studios and Retailers.

My message is simple: if your package design is all paper, then you shouldn't use a tag!

P.S. I'm also tired of showing my receipt at the door like 'papers' in a police state and not too thrilled about being summoned back from the parking lot on several occasions because the clerk forgot to deactivate that wonderful tag.

2. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

Shoplifters?

Seriously, though, it is annoying. Some studios are kind enough to put them on the plastic part.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

WalMart demanding them mostly. It's to give shoplifters yet another layer, and by putting them behind the tray people have to destroy it to get it off.

Of course so then do legit customers

4. Jason Hennigan

Jason Hennigan Stunt Coordinator

Jason Hennigan
    I don't like them either, but I also understand that the retailers need to try to prevent theft, or make it as difficult as possible.

When people stop stealing, we'll stop having to worry about the security tags.

5. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

I order all my dvd's on-line, and I too get the dang security patches. I thought that if Wallmart wanted those, they would be the ones who got them, not the rest of the resellers.

6. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

Yes...now EVERYONE is a criminal in the eyes of the retailers. Thanks guys!![​IMG]

7. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I don't mind these little security tags as much as I mind the glue that Fox uses to stick the info sheets on the back of the Simpsons and Futurama season sets. I'm yet to get all the tackyness off. A little tag stuck on the tray, or behind it isn't as noticable as the splotchy glue mark on the back of the slipcase.