What's new

Who's On A CPAP (1 Viewer)

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
We all discussed the Sleep Apnea studies a while back. I've just ended my first week with my CPAP machine. Two words - THIS SUCKS!
I went with the nasal pillows, because I couldn't tolerate the mask during the sleep study. While I've slept through the night without taking the CPAP off, and according to my wife, my snoring has stopped, I still hate this machine. My nose is always sore inside (although the humidifier has helped). I am more tired in the morning and all day long than I was before. And now I have a constant sinus headache all day long.
Has anyone looked into or had any of the surgeries? The thought of being hooked up to this damn machine the rest of my life is very depressing!

DeanQ

Stunt Coordinator
I have sleep apnea and I am 26 yrs old. I sleep with a cpap machine. I have been since jan of 2002. I see a tremendous difference. I feel so much more awake and alive. Never tired or sleepy anymore. I use to fall asleep at the wheel of my car at anytime of the day. I got in 3 wrecks in 2 yrs because of it. And my work suffered too. I would get to work at around 9-930am everyday. I couldnt help it. I just couldnt get up and i never felt rested. Well now I am at my desk at work at 7am sharp everyday!! Its awesome. The cpap at the sleep lab sucked. It hurt my nose so bad. But the one I got from my doctor rocks. Its so soft on my nose that it doesnt hurt. Leaves no marks on my nose. But I'm like you I dont want to wear this crap the rest of my life. So I am getting surgery. The problem is the surgery has only a 60% success rate but Im gonna take that chance. And I hear the pain from it last 3-4 weeks. I hear its unbearable. You cant eat or drink. Not because you cant because you dont want to since your throat is one big open wound. And the surgery gets rid of your snoring its success rate is over 80%. This is suppose to be one of the most painful surgeries out there since its in your throat. I am getting my tonsils taken out my uvula cut out and he is shaving excess skin from my throat with a scalpal. No laser. And I have a deviated septum in my nose so he is gonna fix that too by drilling the hole bigger. I will be in a world of hurt. My surgery is set for June 7th 2002. Wish me luck.

P.S. Well the CPAP machine is helping you since your snoring has stopped. The machine is forcing you to sleep with your mouth closed and making you breath through your nostrils. Thats a plus. So its working give it time.

DeanQ

Stunt Coordinator
Oh and one more thing. Give the machine a try. It will take at least 3-4 weeks until your body gets use to it. I got headaches for the first week or so. Your body is not use to getting rested sleep. In my study I woke up over 40X in an hour. I never got in my deep sleep stage or REM stage. I have been sleep deprived since I was 18. Thats been 8 yrs of no good sleep. Im not sure how old you are but it will take time until your body catches up. Give it time. I was skeptical too like you. The cpap machine has a success rate of over 90%. Its guarenteed to cure you. As long as you wear it correctly. I feel like a new man.
WHat is the cause of your apnea? If it is weight, then I'd find a way to get the weight off, since there are more benefits besides the reduction of sleep apnea.
A cause of it is a weight issue for some people. But for others its just having to much loose skin inside your throat. When you are at rest your throat collapse which is normal but if you have too much loose skin inside it blocks the passage way so you cant breath. That why for Me I woke up over 40X a night because your brain sends a signal to yout body to jerk itself up to continue breathing. This wakes you up unconciously. And sleep apnea is big thing to cure, you cant just let it go. It can be fatal. So many yrs of untreating sleep apnea can cause an early heart attack at an early age like 40yrs old. Your body has to rest when it sleeps to recharge itself. If you have sleep apnea you never rest. You have to reach deep sleep/REM to rest. People with sleep apena wake up 40x-100X an hr depending how severe they are. So since you never rest your heart is working 24/7. Your heart is suppose to rest when u sleep. With sleep apnea its running harder at night to try and keep you breathing by jolting you 40X or more in an hr. So what this means is over time you will have an ENLARGED HEART due to the fact that it is working 24/7!! Thats why people will get heart attacks a lot earlier in life and other problems. So sleep apnea is serious. ANd sleep deprivation is bad for you. You will be amazed on how your well being is affected by lack of sleep. I use to be depressed all the time and didnt like myself at times and also didnt like my job and I felt worthless at times also,I even had suicidal thought. I was always angry, I snapped at people a lot etc... Well its been 4 mths now and everything I just described is gone. This was all due to sleep deprivation. Read about it and you will see how important sleep is. So sleep apnea is a very serious condition if you dont treat it overtime. I mean hell since 1996 I use to get to work at 9-9:30am now Im at my desk at 7am!! My boss finally sees that I really did have a problem. I beat him to work everyday! If you want more info go to www.sleepapnea.org

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
I've been on the CPAP for about 11 years. You will get used to it, just give it a couple of weeks. One problem, though... once you get used to it, it becomes very difficult to sleep WITHOUT it.

DeanQ

Stunt Coordinator
That is so very true Martin. When I go on trips or even to my GF's house to stay the night I bring it with me. I cant sleep without it. I enjoy waking up fully rested. Its addictive!

RafaelB

Second Unit
I had the surgery about a year and a half ago and do not regret it one bit. I couldn't tolerate the CPAP during my sleep test at the hospital and was on my way to the ENT Surgeon as soon as I got my results. For some reason, my insurance approved it immediately and three weeks later had it done. (Although the ENT Dr did say that insurance co.'s sometimes try and negotiate with the patient before approving the uvulectomy- or whatever it's called).
The two weeks afterwards, there was alot of soreness (well, I did have parts of my throat ripped out) but I was sleeping so well, which continues to this day. :)
Rafael

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Dudes, the UUUV surgery (which you described) scares the hell out of me. I'm rather try the easier stuff first, then go to the "scraping parts out with a scalpel" surgery later. The somnoplasty sounds like it might be good for me, as I really believe it is my draping pallate that is causing the problem, and not the uvula. My tonsils and adnoids were taken out 30 years ago. However, my ENT is an A$$hole, so I am trying to find a new one.

I'm working on the weight loss. I'm not horribly overweight (6'4" 278#) but could stand to loose some of the spare tire. 250# would be a great weight for me. Any smaller, and I'd look like a toothpick.

I'm really trying to use the CPAP machine. I called the company today, and they came out and adjusted the setting up to 7 CMH20 from the starting 5 CMH20. I don't think I was titrated. I'm hoping to avoid another sleep study.

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
I've had my CPAP for about 6 weeks now. My experience has been very similar in some ways but very different in others. I used to be tired all the time. I have a 50 minute commute to work. It's amazing I'm still alive considering the number of times I've dozed off behind the wheel. Only one thing saved me. Luckily I got into a vanpool so I only have to drive about 8 miles. My machine is very very quiet. The mask does not bother me at all. I don't use mine every night, like I should. I am happy very with mine.

RafaelB

Second Unit
Randy,
My sleep apnea was due to fleshy tonsils and droopy uvula, which my ENT looked at to make sure that was the reason (I guess to let my HMO know or something). I haven't heard of the somnoplasty- what do they do there?
If/When you find a good ENT, see if they can look down your throat (they stick a little camera down your nostril- it doesn't hurt) to check for any other obstructions.
Hope this helps.
R.;)

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Rafael,

If I understand correctly, the somnoplasty involves sticking a needle into the pallate and the tongue. The needle emits a radio frequency (or sometimes described as electrical current) which has the eventual effect of causing the tissue to tighten and shrink. It is mostly used for snoring, but I have read that it can be used on mild apnea. It's an almost painless proceedure. . . well, it sounds a lot better than scraping layers off with a scalple!

Absolutely, I want a thorough exam. Not just a peek in my throat with the little light thingy. My current ENT did that, and he sure pisses me off. He just basically blew me off, telling me "All we can do for you is a CPAP." I hate the fact that he is not willing to look into other possible treatements, or even discuss why they won't work with me. CPAP isn't a cure. It's a treatment. But too many doctors just hook you up to the machine, and wash their hands of you. I'm going back to see him next week. If that crap continues, I'm going to tell him what I think of him.

The best analogy I've heard is that it's like saying to a diabetic "We have insulin, so we aren't going to do any further research on curing diabetes!"

I'm getting ready for bed at my higher flow rate. Wish me luck!

RafaelB

Second Unit
Hey Randy,

I hope you slept well last night... Thanks for explaining the somnoplasty to me. I seem to recall that procedure being featured on the Today show a couple years back, when I was in my sleep apnea days. I'm glad to hear that more physicians are doing it.

Yeah, after my first sleep test, I was very set on getting the operation (since my best friend had it done and was extremely pleased with the results) and told my ENT so.

He told me that, due to insurance issues, I'd have to try the CPAP and then we could go from there (if I couldn't tolerate it, etc.), so that's what I did and that's when he did the camera down my nostril thing.

Later,

Rafael

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks