What's new

Who's making the best 1080p DLP rear projection TV? (1 Viewer)

MickBurke

Grip
When I got my last set, it was between Hitachi (which I got) and Toshiba if I recall. I haven't been paying much attention lately because I wasn't shopping, but will be in the market soon after sets with HDMI 1.3 start coming.

I'm looking for reasonable price, great quality, lots of inputs, and high configurability and tweakability. The Hitachi is actually old enough that to adjust the screen parameters you have to adjust potentiometers... Which is why to this day, about half an inch of my favorite shows end up off screen!

Anyway, I want something with a service menu I can access and adjust easily and fully.

Any suggestions are eagerly appreciated.

Mick

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Many ISF'ers will tell you the Samsung is the best - particularly after it's been calibrated.

Even out of the box in "Movie" mode with "Warm 2," NR and DNIE off, contrast lowered, etc. they look quite good.

MickBurke

Grip
Thanks Dave, I assume they are fairly easy to setup and tweak (real calibration aside)?

Are there any sets out there with HDMI 1.3 already? I've been seeing conflicting information. Thanks again.

Mick

Rebelord

Auditioning
Real Name
William
The one that I'm looking at is the Mitsubishi WD-57732.

Try checking that one out.

Ski

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Why are you making HDMI 1.3 a requirement for your display? Right now there are no displays out there capable of handling the increased bandwidth and color depth that the HDMI 1.3 standard can support. Besides, there is no software with this capability and probably won't be for at least five years or so. HDMI 1.3 mainly provides advanced audio capabilities over 1.1 and 1.2 and even then these just come into play if the source player can't decode the advanced HD audio codecs.

In other words, I would be looking for HDMI 1.3 on an audio device (such as a receiver) just to cover all bases but wouldn't make HDMI 1.3 a requirement for a display at this time.

MickBurke

Grip
Yow, with a setup like that I guess you'd know. Very nice!

So I guess what you're saying is that the video benefits that HDMI 1.3 enables aren't supported on any displays at this point anyway yes?

Thanks again for all your help all...

Steve_Corrick

Stunt Coordinator

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks