Who's had experience with Nicheflix?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Dick, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    I just signed up for the two-week freebie. Seems like this is going to be a fine alternative to Netflix once they build their inventory. For the uninitiated, this mail-order rental company works the same was as Netflix (it is five bucks more expensive, but for what they offer/will offer, I can see why), but their titles are mostly imports. The DVD's are both NTSC and PAL, some are Region encoded, some are not. The titles are mostly those not available in this country without purchase from foreign sites. Some titles:

LAST EMPEROR (Director's cut, Korea, NTSC, HAS to be better than the crappy Artisan release)

JEAN DE FLORETTE (ditto)

QUIET EARTH (PAL, 1.33:1)

EYES WIDE SHUT (Uncensored edition, Korea, NTCS)

The Samuel Bronston collection, all NTSC and 2.35:1

Many Laurel and Hardy titles, etc etc.

Has anyone had experience renting from them? Their e-mail correspondence with me has been excellent, and I'm not yet sure about turnaround time...they are located only out of Indiana. But they seem quite eager to stock customer's wish-list titles and they do respond to queries.

2. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

I took advantage of the two-week trial, and I was very impressed with the service. Perhaps it wasn't as fast as Netflix, but it was like a movie or two took two days instead of one to get to me. I didn't renew my membership due to financial circumstances, but I will be renewing it very shortly. They definitely look like they have good selection. Some of the anime stuff filled in Netflix's gaps, but their selection of movies unavailable or in worse shape here was awesome. I'd go for it.

3. Ash Atchison

Ash Atchison Agent

I signed up for Nicheflicks yesterday, actually. Just the fact that they have Dellamorte Dellamore was reason enough. I'll see how the two week trial goes before I commit, though.

I'll probably post my thoughts in a couple of days.

Off Topic: Speaking of Cemetery Man, somebody should really ask Fox in tomorrow's chat if they plan on releasing it sometime before I'm dead and gone... ah hell, I'll ask them myself.

4. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

I signed up on Friday and received my discs on Monday in perfect condition. To say I am pleased is putting it mildly. Hopefully their catalog will continue to grow, as I am thoroughly impressed so far.

5. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Signed up last night, had my first discs shipped today. I'll report back when I receive them. GREAT selection of horror DVDs that are unavailable in the US!

6. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Got my first discs today (Friday). I REALLY like the cardboard protector sleeve included. Can't wait to start watching them!