whos got starfox?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by felix_suwarno, Sep 23, 2002.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

tell me your first impression about the game. i have preordered the game and might get it tomorrow.

2. Chris Duran

Chris Duran Stunt Coordinator

I doubt anyone will get it today as it's the ship date, probably tomorrow for most people.

3. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

Some retailers might have it on the shelves tonight, but I think most of us will get their copy tomorrow.

I fooled around with the demo at EB. It was enough for me to justify my purchase of the game, but not enough to write up a fair review. It's pretty much a marriage between the N64 Zelda games and the previous Starfox games.

4. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

I just picked up the game from my local EB, but my wife is using the TV to watch some health show. UGH!
    hehe.
    Hopefully I'll get an impression posted yet tonight. One of the best things I've seen about the game already is that it has Progressive Scan support listed on the package. [​IMG]
    Well, after playing the game for about a half hour, I think it shows some pretty good promise. It's very much like most other adventure titles that I've played in the past. The first mission is very straight forward and is a good way to get you used to the controls for the game.
    Graphically, the environments are very impressive looking. The fur shading in my opinion looks kind of silly though. It looks like there is a haze that is generated around each of the furry characters. Perhaps it just takes some getting used to, but I don't really care for it at the moment.
    I really enjoy how the cutscenes link directly to the game action without any pauses whatsoever. That, in my opinion, is a very big plus.
    So far, so good with the game. Hopefully I'll have more time to play it tomorrow evening, or tomorrow morning before work. That could be tricky with Mario Sunshine and Animal Crossing waiting for me tomorrow as well. [​IMG]
    Glen

5. felix_suwarno

heh, 83 percent at gamerankings.com

doesnt sound good at all. according to ign :

"Worse, there is often not a clear sense of what needs to be done in some puzzles. For instance, there are occasional levers or light switches that must be activated in levels and having done that there is no indication that anything's been completed and so players are left guessing what to do or where to go next. In Zelda, having completed a sub-puzzle, a door opens, or a sound chimes, or the camera points players in the right direction. Luckily the good far outweigh the bad. "

thats what i really hate in games. i hated jedi knight 2 for that same prob. you do something, a previously closed door opened, and i have no idea which door.

6. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

Of course, IGN also said it was a must-own title and a good Zelda clone. I trust Rare. (isn't that ironic?) They've yet to produce a game that I've been disappointed with. Goldeneye, Banjo Kazooie, Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong 64, Banjo Tooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day... all welcome additions to my game library and all reasons why I will never part with my N64.
    Heck, Perfect Dark is the greatest FPS I've ever played. (Although I'm always on the lookout for a worthy successor! [​IMG] )
    Counting the hours until I can get my paws on it...
    P.S. Even noting its flaws, IGNCube gave it a 9.0

7. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

8. GlenHaag

I might have to say Goldeneye. That was easily the most fun I've ever had playing a FPS, and another Rare title.... go figure.

Yeah, the flow of the game thus far seems a bit odd, the puzzles kind of lead you in no general direction to this point, but it still seems to be an impressive game.

Glen

9. Todd Schnell

Todd Schnell Second Unit

My initial impression after about 30 minutes.
    Running in widescreen 480P.
    GlenHaag & I are on the same page so far.
    The visuals are slick.
    Some textures look better than others.
    The lighting effects are impressive.
    The transparent drapery/sheers in the first temple are a nice touch.
    The frame rate so far is very smooth.
    Over all so far graphically very good to quite impressive.
    The fur blur effect does look kind of weird, & I think the fur would have looked better without the blur effect.
    Not a big deal though.
    The main characters look very good overall.
    The music score & sound in general is really impressive so far, really drawing you into the atmosphere of the game.
    The controls are simple to pick up, & responsive.
    Just getting into the 2nd region & some nice details here such as a waterfall & flowers.
    Cool that you get to fly the Arwing to the different regions.
    I glanced through the booklet & it list about 12-13 different regions, & I expect the game is huge.
    Fought 1 battle against 3 enemies & Fox locked on to one at a time, while the others stood by waiting their turn.
    The game does have a pulling you in effect so far.
    I really want to finish up a few other games before getting fully into this one.
    May not be able to keep from playing though. [​IMG]
    A few things I don't like as of right now.
    As has been mentioned already there is no jump button, but auto jump as in the N64 Zelda games.
    I hate this!!! [​IMG]
    This takes so much away from game play imo.
    I'll just have to deal with it. [​IMG]
    The other thing is the camera.
    There is no auto camera control.
    You can only center the camera behind you, & will be doing this constantly.
    You will have to stop & go in first person mode to look around.
    You can not control the camera on the fly.
    This has not been a too much of a problem so far.
    A bit of a nuisance though.
    So far I like the game.
    Todd

10. GlenHaag

I couldn't agree more on the lack of the Jump button. That drives me insane. Plus the camera control is a bit annoying. After getting used to the control of being able to hold down the L button in Mario and keep the camera behind him, it would have been nice to see a system like that in other games.
    Oh, well. They're annoyances, just not major ones.
    I did enjoy the flying segment quite a bit as well. It was easy to jump back into an Arwing and fly again. I can't wait to see how well Namco does it. [​IMG]
    Glen

11. felix_suwarno

i played for 2 and half hours.

excellent graphics, average sound, promising gameplay, but really, it is not clear what to do next. i like it at this point. even though i kinda miss the jump button.

12. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Bought this earlier today while I was at work. Played the game for 5 hours tonight. 27% is what my my status screen tells me right now. Some comments:

13. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

Got this yesterday and had a chance to play it a bit last night. I'm having fun, but something just isn't clicking. I can't quite put my finger on it, but the game just seems unfinished. Might have something to do with all of the concepts that were tacked onto the original "Dinosaur Planet" idea.
    It was a little hard to get into the game at first. When I start up a game called Starfox Adventures I don't want to spend the first level playing as a unknown blue chick throwing barrels at jellyfish.
    Once Fox comes into the picture the game gets a lot better. It really feels like a Zelda title (other than the Arwing sequences). I have no complaints with the camera. It works well for a game of this nature, and the first-person mode is more than enough to get my bearings. The PDA and shopkeeper maps are very helpful as well.
    Like I said I'm having fun, but I'm still a little underwhelmed. The game just didn't WOW me in the way that playing Mario Sunshine or Animal Crossing for the first time did.

14. Todd Schnell

Todd Schnell Second Unit

A few more thoughts as I watched my son play this morning.
    The frame rate does stutter just a bit at times in the
    large open environment of the 1st area where you first
    take control of Fox.
    No real biggie though.
    To follow up on a few of Romier's points, & I stress this is only based on exploring into the first large area where you control Fox.
    Camera:
    For me while the game play was pretty ordinary here, it did pull me into the game.
    Again its a matter of having control & being able to fly to each location in the Arwing.
    Perhaps this could get tedious in the long run if it is the same old every time.
    I will say that the more I just sit & watch my son play the more beautiful I think this game looks. [​IMG]
    That & the adventure of it all is pulling me in regardless of the problems I may have with the game play.
    Must...finish...Mario.....first. [​IMG]
    Btw
    "Put that down! You don't have enough scarabs!" LOL!
    Am I the only one who gets a big laugh out of the merchant?
    I love this cranky raspy voiced guy...er creature.
    Todd

15. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

16. Romier S

Romier S Producer

17. Todd Schnell

Todd Schnell Second Unit

I don't see why you think the whole the camera system would need a need major overhaul by adding a simple jump at will feature.
    We are not talking insane super jumping or blasting way into the sky like in Mario.
    Sure that would be a different animal.
    Take the auto jump for instance, you can move your character in the air with no camera problems.
    Once other thing I want to say.
    I really wish this didn't bother me, but the fact remains it does.
    If I was out on an adventure, I would be able to jump any time I wanted to.
    If I wanted to jump over a rock or a log to save time going around it I could.
    If I wanted to jump across a narrow creek instead of going all the way around or swimming through it I could.
    It just seems to me that in this new life like full 3D gaming world of ours, I should have full 3D control of my character.
    The fact I can't jump when I want to feels very un-natural to me.
    Just my opinion. [​IMG]
    Hey I still think Starfox is cool! [​IMG]
    Todd

18. Todd Schnell

Todd Schnell Second Unit

GameSpot has their review up & gave it an 8.3 overall with a *10* in graphics. Wow!
    From what I played of the game so far I think the review is solid.
    http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters...516497,00.html
    I appreciate they mention the following.
    Hopefully this will become a standard of all reviews.
    Only other thing they also need to list is widescreen support.
    Todd

19. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

I got this yesterday, one hell of a game. I love fighting sequences (although I have only been in one battle [after I get the staff] when the finishing combo blow pauses and then resumes. [Also, why does Fox keep the stick still once he and Krystal are united?]

20. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

I picked up Starfox Adventures yesterday and managed to get about two-and-a-half hours into the game so far.

Now, I must admit that I wasn't looking forward to this game all that much. Although I consider Rare to be a great developer, some of their recent work has been hit-or-miss. Perfect Dark and Conker were awesome, but Banjo-Tooie and Donkey Kong 64 left me cold. I wasn't fond of the formula those latter two games followed and feared that SFA would be a lot like that. Furthermore, as one of the biggest fans of Starfox 64, I was disheartened to learn that the next game in the series would not take place in the cockpit of an Arwing (at least through the majority of the game). Usually when a game tries to split itself between commando/on-foot missions and vehicle levels, I end up just wanting to drive the vehicles. The on-foot missions simply get in the way of doing what I really want to do.

I am quite happy to say that so far, I am really enjoying Starfox Adventures. The game has a nice flow to it, and the variety of things to do has kept the game quite interesting. The addition of Tricky gives it somewhat of a uniqueness that I have not seen in quite a while. Visually, the game is perhaps the best to date on the Gamecube, besting even Nintendo's better efforts. In fact, I would even say that it is one of the best looking console games I have ever seen. Those with 16:9 screens are in for a real treat, as this game looks stunning on such a display. Sound-wise, the game is fine, but not up to the standards set by Rogue Leader or Eternal Darkness.

The best thing I can say about this game is that it kept me up way past my bedtime yesterday, and all I can think about now is how I get to go home tonight and play through it some more. You know a game is good when it consumes all your thoughts like that. If you own a Gamecube, this is certainly a must-buy game.