What's new

Who's Got All 45 Twilight Zone DVD's?? (1 Viewer)

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
Anybody else own the book The Twilight Zone Companion ? It contains synopsis and background of all the episodes including cast and crew and season by season breakdowns.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I have it. It's a great book. I wish he would do one for the eighties version (of course I would like to see those DVDs as well). So far I am very unimpressed with the latest Zone. The stories seem way too predictable.

- Ric

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
80's version? New series? heh. heh. you must be confused. There never was any remakes of the Twilight Zone outside of the Movie. heh. heh. Maybe you need to repeat after me

THERE NEVER WAS A REMAKE!

THERE NEVER WAS A REMAKE!

Next thing you'll tell me is that there was a Caddyshack 2!

Ha hahahahahahah!

Mark Hammon

Stunt Coordinator
I'd been putting off purchasing them hoping for a box set.

When THE OUTER LIMITS set (Season 1) came out, I was determined to own all the TWILIGHT ZONE Discs.

I first checked all the used stores and was surprised at how much they wanted for them (if they had any at all!). The average price was $14.95 (used) and they had "Out Of Print" on the packages. (This was at three different stores.)

I had checked DVD Planet a few weeks ago and they had a lot of them listed as out of stock. I got a little scared and checked the usual stores like Best Buy, Tower, Circuit City. Each one would have one or two volumes.

I went to a Suncoast (at the mall) and was pleasantly surprised to see lots of the discs. As I pulled out my list of all 45 discs I discovered that this one store had less than half of the volumes. On the plus side if you bought them in groups of three the cost was only $11.99 each. (List price was $14.99.) If you bought two they were $12.99 each. Add to that they have a "replay" program that will give you points on purchases. I joined "replay" and bought aprox. 19 discs. I then traveled 15 miles to another Suncoast and bought another aprox. 19 discs. When I was done I was short 7 discs.

The following day I traveled 25 miles to another Suncoast and bought the last 7 discs. This store not only had the buy three at $11.99 each but the TWILIGHT ZONE DVDs were on sale for $12.99 each.

What was interesting was that each store did NOT overlap volume numbers. The first two stores were aprox the same size and had the same amount of volumes. The last store was smaller and had less (overall) volumes. In the end I got all 45 discs and can now sleep knowing if they go out of print I have them all!

I noticed that someone mentioned they had all three Box set LDs. There were also two seperate LDs that had episodes that were not in the box sets:

Twilight Zone Volume #1 (LD) $39.98

The Invaders (1961, Ep. 51)

Nothing in the Dark (1962, Ep. 81)

Time Enough at Last (1959, Ep. 8)

The Monsters are Due on Maple Street (1960, Ep. 22)

Twilight Zone Volume #2 (LD) $39.98

Nightmare at 20,000 Feet (1963, Ep. 123)

The Odyssey of Flight 33 (1961, Ep. 54)

Steel (1963, Ep. 122)

A Game of Pool (1961, Ep. 70)

The three LD box sets consisted of:

Twilight Zone: The Creative Vision Volume #1 (LD) $99.98

Walking Distance (1959, Ep. 5)

The Lonely (1959, Ep. 7)

Mirror Image

Long Live Walter Jameson

Eye of the Beholder (1960, Ep. 42)

Nick of Time (1960, Ep. 43)

The Rip Van Winkle Caper

The Silence

Will The Real Martian Please Stand Up

It's a Good Life (1961, Ep. 73)

Five Characters In Search Of An Exit

To Serve Man (1962, Ep. 89)

Death Ship

Living Doll (1963, Ep. 126)

Night Call

Twilight Zone: The Creative Vision Volume #2 (LD) $99.98

After Hours, The (1960, Ep. 34)

Big Tall Wish, The

Death's Head Revisited (1961, Ep. 74)

Four of Us are Dying, The (1960, Ep. 13)

Howling Man, The (1960, Ep. 41)

Kick the Can (1962, Ep. 86)

Midnight Sun, The

Miniature

Number Twelve Looks Just Like You

Obsolete Man, The (1961, Ep. 65)

In Praise of Pip

A Stop at Willoughby

Third from the Sun

Two (1961, Ep. 66)

A World of His Own

Twilight Zone: The Creative Vision Volume #3 (LD) $99.98

A Passage for Trumpet (1960, Ep. 32)

A Penny For Your Thoughts

People Are Alike All Over

Hitch-Hiker, The (1960, Ep. 16)

Last Flight, The (1960, Ep. 18)

Little Girl Lost

Mind and the Matter, The (1961, Ep. 63)

Mr. Denton on Doomsday

Nervous Man In A $4 Room

Night of the Meek (1960, Ep. 47)

On Thursday We Leave For Home

One For The Angels

Perchance to Dream (1959, Ep. 9)

Purple Testament, The (1960, Ep. 19)

Trade-Ins, The (1962, Ep. 96)

Lastly a four box set had been announced and then cancelled. What was odd was that in the list of episodes was something that was not an episode title (I don't recall the actual title but you can see that the list is one short compared to the other three box sets.):

Twilight Zone: The Creative Vision Volume #4 (LD)Cancelled $99.98

Where is Everybody? (1959, Episode 1)

Sixteen Millimeter Shrine (1959, Ep. 4)

Judgment Night (1959, Ep. 10)

And When the Sky Was Opened

A World of Difference

Arrival, The

Grave, The (1961, Ep. 72)

Once Upon a Time (1961, Ep. 78)

Fugitive, The (1962, Ep. 90)

Little People, The

Dummy, The (1962, Ep. 98)

One More Pallbearer

Valley of the Shadow

Masks, The (1964, Episode 145)

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator
Can someone explain to me if this new set (along with Vol.#2) is exactly the same in content to the single releases?

Twilight Zone Collection #1 (DVD)

Year: 1960-1964

Length: 875 minutes

Rating: Not Rated

MSRP: $ 99.99 Status: Active

Release Date: 12/3/2002

Pre-Order Date: 11/5/2002

Studio: Image

Catalog Number: ID4598CUDVD

UPC: 014381459821

Main Genre: TV Classics

Sub Genre: Sci-Fi/Fantasy

Synopsis: Rod Serling's classic TV exploration of the uncanny, the unknown, and the unforgettable takes you beyond the deepest realms of imagination! Filled with twists, turns, and compelling characters, this legendary series has remained continuously on the air since its initial run and remains as fascinating, frightening, and thoroughly entertaining for viewers today. Each set contains nine DVDs; Collection #1 features Volumes 1-9, 35 episodes including such fan favorites as "Time Enough at Last," "The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street," "The Invaders" and "To Serve Man." So pull up a seat and brace yourself for a fantastic voyage into...The Twilight Zone!

Product Features:

Audio Format: Mono

Screen Format: Full Frame

16x9: No

Color: B&W

Region Code: Unknown

Original Languages: English

English Dubbed: No

Other Languages: None

Subtitles: None

Special Features:

9-Disc Box Set; "Inside the Twilight Zone" section with the series history, episode reviews, cast info, season-by-season commentary and Serling bio by "Twilight Zone Companion" author Marc Scott Zicree; Trivia

I don't have any of the single discs but does anyone know if they have season-by-season commentary by "Twilight Zone Companion" author Marc Scott Zicree?

Otherwise it looks like boxed set repackagings with each disc retailing for $11.11 each ($11.11 X 9= $99.99).

I was really hoping for the shows to reappear in chronological order, season-by-season.

Collection #2 also comes out in December for $99.99.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
And perhaps someone might have some information if the rest of the series will be released in this manner past Volume 2? I will definitely invest in the series if so!

I looked on the Image site and there wasn't any clue I could see.

Nelson

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Which volume has Printer's Devil on it? I've been trying to get a copy of that episode for years.

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator
I will ask again...are there commentaries on the single disc versions as stated for these boxed sets? Or is there simply a booklet with comments by Marc Scott Zicree?

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
...are there commentaries on the single disc versions as stated for these boxed sets? Or is there simply a booklet with comments by Marc Scott Zicree?
There's no audio commentary. (Which does result in some confusion when reading the features for these TZ DVDs, since the term "commentary" almost always means an audio commentary.)
There's no booklet either.
The "Inside The Twilight Zone" section is the same on each DVD....all text. There's a short bio on Mr. Serling, plus episode info for each TZ season.
I wish they had at least included a one-page insert of some kind in these TZ packages. The Amarays always seem so empty without any enclosures whatsoever. Oh, well....at least the transfers are good. :)
Just watched Volume 8 .... one of the best (plus #2)! :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
And perhaps someone might have some information if the rest of the series will be released in this manner past Volume 2?
I would certainly think the answer would be: YES. Since they're releasing boxed sets with exactly 9 volumes per set, and seeing as how there are 45 total volumes (45 being divisible by 9 exactly)....it stands to reason (mathematically anyway) that we're going to see Boxed Sets #3, #4, and #5 in the future. (I would guess the 8th and 9th discs in Set #5 would be the 2 "Treasures Of..." volumes).
And since these are ALL already on the market, it shouldn't take them too long to make all 5 boxed sets available (you wouldn't think anyhow). :)
(Wish I'd waited now. :frowning: )

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
The following day I traveled 25 miles to another Suncoast and bought the last 7 discs. This store not only had the buy three at $11.99 each but the TWILIGHT ZONE DVDs were on sale for $12.99
Oh, Mark! Mark! Mark! ... You could have saved quite a few bucks (not to mention the gas + legwork) by getting them all @ DeepDiscount (with free S&H too)!
If I've told you once, I've told you at least...twice (I'm not the overbearing type :))...check www.dvdpricesearch.com BEFORE hitting the pavement and traipsing all over God's green Earth searching the B&M's!! WHEN will you learn!?? (j/k) :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Which volume has Printer's Devil on it?
Paul.....
Volume 32 has "Printer's Devil". One of my faves as well. A top-notch hour-long TZ! :) ......
"Printer's Devil" (Episode 111, February 28, 1963, 51 min.) - When a newspaper editor is at the brink of suicide as his paper is being driven out of business, the devious Mr. Smith (Burgess Meredith) presents an unusual deal guaranteed to boost circulation.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Wouldn't it be nice if you could pick out your own episodes and then tell Image Ent. Inc. .... Make me up a DVD with Nick of Time, The Hitchhiker, Odyssey of Flight 33, and Third From the Sun. This could be a new (and mighty expensive) trend in DVD production: Create Your Own Disc. :)
And while we're at it, Image, better change the animated menu too. The floating eye music starts to have that nails-on-a-blackboard effect after you've watched a few discs in a row. Sorry, but true (IMO, of course). :)

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
David: fortunately, the "floating eye" menu design goes away after volume 13. :b For the remaining 30 volumes, the menu incorporates the 3rd season spiral design surrounded by a reddish haze. Trippy, man.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
David: fortunately, the "floating eye" menu design goes away after volume 13. For the remaining 30 volumes, the menu incorporates the 3rd season spiral design surrounded by a reddish haze. Trippy, man.
Yes, Craig, you're indeed correct! :b
I must've had a TZ brain cramp or something! Because I knew this too. I like the non-animated menus of Vol. 14 & up much better. Obviously, most people must agree. Otherwise, why change it?
I see also that the text sections of discs 14-43 are more user-friendly (with the user controlling the page turns).
(Just finished watching "Nick of Time". One of the best! Go watch it now, if you know what's good for ya. [Vol. 9]. :) )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks