What's new

Who's getting an XBOX (1 Viewer)

Joe michaels

Second Unit
I have had mine pre-ordered for over 2 months and am getting more excited as launch gets closer.
I have DOA3, HALO, And Abe on preoder along with an xtra controller and remote.
--------------------------------
Check out my Web Site! Link Removed

steveC

Grip
I just hope I can snag one from BestBuy on Thurs. I
have been holding on to this $275 store credit for
this sole purpose. Damn, I should have pre-oredered...

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
I'd like to, but I already have a PS2, and I'm afraid the wife will kill me if I buy another $500 (console + extra controller + HD pack + game) toy in the near future...
frown.gif

------------------
View Dr. Grall's DVD collection

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I will get an XB eventually, but of all the launch games, only Halo and DoA3 appeal to me, but I might as well just play Half-Life and DoA2:H for PS2 and it will be just as good.
When the good games start coming at a constant rate, I'll get one.

Gary King

Second Unit
UPS better be arriving on Thursday with my Xbox in tow...
Then a quick run to Fry's for the HD pack and a couple of controllers... and proceed to play 4-player Halo all night long
wink.gif

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
I'm a little too old to be camping out for a game system, but you can bet I'll be up with the chickens and at my local Target store at oh-dark-thirty to get my Xbox this Thursday! I've been waiting an awfully long time for this day...
And Morgan, I know your position on the Xbox very well from the 1000+ posts you've shared with us over the past few months, but I'm just curious if you would make that comment that Half-Life and DOA2:H were "just as good" as Halo and DOA3 if you'd actually played the Xbox offerings? DOA3 maybe I can understand, since from what I hear the gameplay isn't all that different (although the graphics upgrade looks to be just absolutely breath-taking). But Half-Life as good as Halo? Hmmmm...somehow I doubt it...
Not trying to sell you on the Xbox, I know your mind is made up. But your statement that two of the best offerings that the Xbox has is just "as good as" those other games seems to be fairly uninformed, to say the least. Maybe you should actually play the games before spouting off like that? I respect your right to your opinion, of course, but it's hardly fair to draw comparisons without experiencing both games, wouldn't you agree?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
DoA3 is a graphical enhancement over DoA2:H, but not so much that I would pay $50. The gameplay is nearly identical to DoA2:H and the only real difference between the two is a character or two and new levels. Other than that, they are nearly identical.
Halo and Half-Life might not be comparable (one might be better than the other) but if I could choose between paying $50 for HL for PS2 or paying $350 for Halo and an XB, I would choose HL, especially since the game just seems to get better with age.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Great, that works for you because you already have a PS2. But, if the choice was $350 to play Half-Life, or $350 to play Halo, which way would you go? (Of course, I'm pretty sure I know what you're going to say, but my point was that it isn't really fair to compare games without actually playing both of them, that's all.)
As for the differences between the DOAs, you're right, it isn't a revolutionary new fighting game. I'm not sure what you would expect, but yes, DOA3 looks to be pretty close to DOA2, only with 3 new characters, new levels, and massively updated graphics and animations. I don't get why that's a problem, though. Did you like DOA2? Then why not play a deeper, richer, more detailed version of it? I mean, Gamespot just gave Tony Hawk 3 a 10, and I could apply the same description to it--the same as Tony Hawk 2, only with new characters, deeper levels, a new revert move, and better graphics. So why is Tony Hawk a perfect game in their eyes?
I'm not trying to pick a fight, here. I'm just curious why this seems to be a big deal with some games and not with others. I mean, how different from Rogue Squadron is Rogue Leader going to be? I'm assuming you're still going to pilot various Star Wars crafts against the evil Empire. Will it look and sound way better? Yup, seems that way. Is it a totally new concept? Nope. So why raise a fuss that DOA3 is so similar to its predecessors? What does it lack that the other sequels have?
Again, I'm not being rhetorical here. I am curious to know why one game gets blasted for not being different enough when other games seem to escape that criticism.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Well at least Tony Hawk 3 has more updates to it besides graphics. Then again, I don't like Tony Hawk, and I think buying it would be pointless since I have THPS2 and have no desire for THPS3.
Would I rather pay $350 for a PS2 w/HL or a XB w/Halo...PS2 w/HL. Why? Because the PS2 has more games available than the XB does that are good. I personally cannot justify spending any more than $50 on Halo because 1) I have no desire for it, 2) I have no desire for an XB, and 3) I could spend my $50 on something better.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Like I said, I knew which way you would go. Your feelings on the Xbox are painfully well known by now.
Tony Hawk 3 has updates besides graphics...like what? Do you know? Or are you speculating again about a game you haven't played? Hey, I love Tony Hawk 2, I'm getting 2X, and when 3 comes out for the Xbox I'll be first in line. But what astounding new developments does Tony Hawk 3 offer over Tony Hawk 2, that DOA3 doesn't offer over DOA2? Why is one a 10.0 perfect game and the other a 7.9 "good game for those who liked the original."?
Okay, I know you didn't like Tony Hawk. So how about your Super Smash Brothers Melee? You said in another thread that you know this one will be good because you liked the first one. What, besides graphics, new levels, and a few new characters, is going to be different?

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
This is from gamespot:
From what we've seen of Super Smash Bros. Melee for the GameCube, Nintendo isn't changing much of the original's gameplay. Aside from additional characters and backgrounds and obvious graphical boost, the game has many of the same moves, as well as an almost identical control scheme when compared to the Nintendo 64 original.

Andrew P

Second Unit
Morgan:
If everyone used this logic new game systems would never succeed. At one point you had to jump in on the ps2.
If your logic is to wait until there are games then that is a valid argument, but if you purchased your ps2 at luanch then you have no argument.
Andy

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
I don't like Tony Hawk either...but that is because after trying and trying, I still suck at the game.
I own the game, but I bought it because my brother loves the Tony Hawk series.
I will admit though, that it is a very well done game. It's too bad that I can't play it worth a damn :)
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
rolleyes.gif
When will people learn to try the game first before assuming that its just a graphics upgrade and writing it off. Oh well your loss, not mine...
Dean
[Edited last by Dean Cooper on November 13, 2001 at 06:57 PM]

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
First of all, I liked Tony Hawk, but it got boring.
Second, I have a friend who has THPS3 and I can't get him to shut up about it. The create a player mode is a lot more advanced, the levels have more places to do tricks and are a LOT larger, there are more moves and skaters, the controls have been improved, and overall, there are enough changes to warrant a purchase.
Third, SSB:M was so good and worked so well that I don't mind spending $50 to get a graphical upgrade with 23 new levels and a buncha new characters added to an already excellent game. DoA2:H was good, but a graphical upgrade with a few new characters and some new levels is not worth $50, even if it was on PS2. SSB:M has more improvements over SSB than DoA3 has over DoA2:H.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Here's one area where the XBox beats the PS2 - Dolby Digital in REAL TIME (no lag). Now, the PS2 does have DTS in ONE game, but more people have DD decoders than DTS. Granted, you have to get a $20 adapter for DD output on the XBox, but it's well worth it, and not much different than having to spend $20 on an SVHS adapter for the PS2.
The XBox has a lot of out-of-the-box features that the PS2 doesn't:
Built-in hard drive
Built-in broadband adapter
The ability to rip your own music
Hard drive game saving (SWEET!)
Off-disk game data
The Xbox is no slacker. The PS2 is a great machine too, but it seems to me that people here are poo-pooing the XBox just so that they can feel better about having a PS2. The PS2 has better games TODAY. However, let's see what the XBox can do a year from now.
Look at the games, and decide for yourself. That was the main reason I'm ignoring the GameCube.
Mike
------------------
Windows XP Resource
Listen to my radio station - Starman's Neverland
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks