What's new

Who's doing SACD and with what? (1 Viewer)

Joe

Stunt Coordinator
Just checking the pulse on SACD. Who out there is happy with SACD and what players do you find perform well with it?

Mitch Gurowitz

Auditioning
Joe,

I can't speak for the high end players, but I picked up a Sony DVD-NP650 changer at Best Buy last month for well under two hundred dollars (Sale price and a coupon). and was very impressed.

While I'm not a crazed fan for Classic rock (If I hate Boston and Journey in Stereo, a multi-track would only enhance the hatred), Classical or Jazz, I did find a few releases to keep me happy. It was really the Stones back catalog that set me over the edge!

As a (once) musician, I can tell you that there is a separation that is much more audible then in the original stereo releases. For example, on "The Byrd's Greatest Hits" you can really hear who is playing what and there are subtleties that I never recalled hearing previously. I also have a DVD-Audio player, and I think that the SACD has nicer tonal values and a richness I would almost associate with Vinyl,sans the surface noise!

I have picked up a bunch of titles, but wish there were more discs that answered my musical taste. I know that Sony owns the Clash's back catalog, but somehow I don't see them releasing the soundtracks to Kuch Kuch Hota Hai or K3G in SACD anytime soon!

Extra credit to anyone who knows what the last two titles are!

Cheers-
Mitch

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I upgraded my old Sony 5-disc carousel to a new Sony CDP-55es SACD/CD carousel a couple of weeks ago. I only have a few SACD titles so far, though, so I'm not the best person to comment on the quality of various titles. I was impressed with The Rolling Stones: Hot Rocks 1964 - 1971, though. Even my wife could tell the difference between the CD and SACD layers.

My main reason for buying the 555es was to improve my redbook CD performance. It's SACD support was an added bonus.

Elias

Stunt Coordinator
I upgraded my old Sony 5-disc carousel to a new Sony CDP-55es SACD/CD carousel a couple of weeks ago. I only have a few SACD titles so far, though, so I'm not the best person to comment on the quality of various titles. I was impressed with The Rolling Stones: Hot Rocks 1964 - 1971, though. Even my wife could tell the difference between the CD and SACD layers.
Scott, I could have written your entire statement myself, down to every last word. I wasn't even considering SACD prior to purchasing the 555ES. I bought it because it was an excellent redbook CD player. I figured I'd try SACD just for fun. Little did I realize that my stereo system would become alive when I popped in the first SACD.

The Hot Rocks SACD sounded remarkable; it was my tone-deaf wife who pointed out how real-sounding the high-pitched guitar riff in Sympathy for the Devil (approx. 2 minutes into the song) sounds.

The difference between the SACD and CD layers, however, is subtle. The difference between the newly remastered version and my prior Stones CD (purchased 1994) was so clear that you could tell it on a portable boom box.

Multichannel performance blows me away. I had no idea that music would ever sound good in surround. Multichannel performance, however, is highly dependent on the quality of the recording process, as it is with DVD.

I highly recommend SACD to any audiophile. I wish Sony would do more to promote this format. I can't understand how the single best advertisement for this format, the Stones remasters, doesn't even say SACD on the album cover. If I were Sony, I would pull out those Pink Floyd analog tapes immediately and remaster them in DSD. I can't wait to hear what it would sound like.

Elias

Elias

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Just set up my Sony DVP-NS500V SACD/DVD player....matched it to a 120 watts/channel Technics SA-GX790 Dolby Pro-Logic receiver (used in stereo mode). Have not fired it up yet despite purchasing 4 stereo hybrid SACD/CD. Saving money for better amp section.

Joe Cole

Second Unit
Joe,
I have owned a Sony SCDXA777ES for 8 months or so. This is the top level multi-channel player from Sony at this time. I have been very pleased with its Cd performance (which is why I decided to buy this unit). Its SACD performance is sublime, but the only other player I have heard was the Sony 900 a progressive DVD player.
As far as the over all sound of SACD:
As a (once) musician[I am not one], I can tell you that there is a separation that is much more audible then in the original stereo releases. For example, on "The Byrd's Greatest Hits" you can really hear who is playing what and there are subtleties that I never recalled hearing previously. I also have a DVD-Audio player, and I think that the SACD has nicer tonal values and a richness I would almost associate with Vinyl,sans the surface noise!
This just about covers it although I am a Jazz and classical lisener for the most part. SACD is vinyl with better than CD dynamic range and no noise. I had learned to dislike the over CD 'sound' on my system. It is too harsh most of the time for extended listening(the 777es used as a CD player did improve this a good bit but not completely). SACD is a 9.5 on DSD recordings and most analog recordings. It is better on PCM but with mixed results, but always better than the original CD IMHO.
The stones on SACD I have heard are amazing.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Like Joe, I have the XA-777ES for almost the same amount of time. I like the unit a lot and will soon be sending it for modification to make it better.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I'm using the reasonably priced entry level Sony CE775 sacd player.
So far most of my sacd's sound wonderful on the player especially the James Taylor ones.

I picked up the player to hear The Stones and it hasn't disappointed.

Grab a 775 while you can, it is the audio bargain of the year.

Joe Cole

Second Unit
Phil,

What MODS are you getting for your 777? Keeps us update as to how they sound if you can.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Joe, I've decided to go with Modwright's Absolute Truth Mod. The the player gets mailed in a couple of weeks and it won't be until after the 1st of the new year when it comes back.

Joe Cole

Second Unit
Phil,

Wow those mods are more than the player itself. Tubes. How would tubes alter the over all sound of both SACD and CD disks?

I have thought about the parts and clock upgrade myself.

Should be quite the high end player when it comes back.

Joe,

I think I might be waiting to see how the new Phillips 963 turns out. Progressive DVD and multi SACD for less than $500. And up sampling CD.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I think I might be waiting to see how the new Phillips 263(is that the number?) turns out. Progressive DVD and multi SACD for less than $500. And up sampling CD.
Me too!

Right now I'm debating whether to upgrade the 775 with a Mod while mods are still available for this model. Or buy a 555ES player and sell the 775 or wait and see about the Phillips player.

I'm very happy with the 775 but if audio nirvana is available at this time (thru Mods or an ES player) then I'll go there.

Hope the Phillips comes out soon.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Joe, I have been enjoying SACD for over two years now. If you love music, you owe it to yourself to experience SACD (assuming there is software out there that appeals to you).

If you can spend $600, get a Sony SCD-C555ES changer. It is an excellent CD player, so SACD is a bonus. I have two of them (different systems), and the player is simply an exceptional value.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I recently bought a Sony 9000ES DVD/SACD player that was open box for $799 including a 10yr warrenty. It seems to do a great job on SACD's. I usually play SACD's back with the video section turned off. This is supposed to lower the noise floor and help produce a better playback. This unit has progressive scan but does not play CD-R's. I might purchase a Marantz SACD only player later on? The lack of SACD's is highly frustrating at this time. Tower Records where I live does not even carry The Rolling Stones SACD's in the stores. The only place I have seen them is on TR web site. I almost bought a 777ES but desided after weighing the advantages of the 9000ES. That at least for me having an upgraded DVD player and a single drawer sacd was better for me. Does anyone here have a Marantz SACD and have they comparied it to the Sony units? What do you think?

Eujin

Supporting Actor
I've been listening to SACD on a Sony 775 modified by SACDmods.com--completely sold on the format now. Both my wife and I find it very difficult buying redbook CDs now, because we'd rather buy SACD. For those on the fence, any of the recently discontinued inexpensive Sonys--CE775, NS500V, 650--are excellent ways to get into the format. And I know for a fact that both the 775 and 500V can be modified with excellent results.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dave said:

Tower Records where I live does not even carry The Rolling Stones SACD's in the stores. The only place I have seen them is on TR web site.
You are aware that the Stones SACDs are located in the CD section, don't you? You won't find these discs in the SACD section. The hybrid discs replaced the original ABCKO CDs, so they are displayed in the CD section. I can't believe your Tower Records store would not have them. I have seen the Stones hybrids in every store that sells CDs, including Tower, Best Buy, Circuit City, Borders, Barnes & Noble, Wal-Mart, and K-Mart. In every store I've been to, they were located in the CD section.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Scott, absolutely correct. One should be looking for discs in cardboard digipaks. They have a remastered sticker on the front, but unfortunately, there is no mention of them being SACDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks