Who's DAC should I use? Sony 5ES vs. Rotel RCC-1055

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by james e m, Nov 13, 2003.

1. james e m

james e m Second Unit

I am getting a new cd player sometime soon and I'm not sure which will have a better DAC my Sony 5ES (which is used as a pre/pro and powered by a Sherbourn amp) or the Rotel RCC-1055. Any advice would be appreciated!
    James

2. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

I would vote for the Rotel, as they have a reputation for being a more musical component manufacturer. I've read a lot of good stuff about the 1055, and wouldn't mind picking one up myself. Also, if you do hook it with a digital output and use the 5ES's DAC's, then you pretty much just defeated the purpose of buying that good of a CD changer. Typically, you buy a CD player/changer that is more expensive for the DAC's within the player. Just my thoughts.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I'd guess the CD player will sound warmer and smoother where the Sony will sound more open and brighter...which is better depends on your taste and the room/speaker combo.

4. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Thanks guys!
    James

5. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

Don't you dare use a digital connection to the 1055! Analog connectors are the only way to go for a quality player like the 1055. I tried out a 1055 in my house for a week not too long ago. I plugged it into my two-channel system (Classe integrated amp, B&W Nautilus 804s). I did side-by-side comparisons with my three-year-old changer, a Marantz CC-67, using identical recordings and switching between inputs.
    The 1055 did sound better, and for the first time I noticed an enhanced presentation by HDCD discs. But I couldn't justify the unit because of its price. It was better than the Marantz, but not $750 better. I'm sure you'll love the 1055.

6. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Thanks for the info Mark. I'm glad to hear you liked the player. I have a silly question though, do you remember if the player has a random button on the controler? The sales person told me it decodes mp3s, is this true?
    James

7. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

I don't know about mp3s. I don't use them. It does have a random button on the remote.