What's new

Who's buying the new John Mayer today? (1 Viewer)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Most girls who like this guy say his music hits the spot when you want to get in the mood. Something to think about if you're maxing out your credit card on Spanish flies.

That last song on the CD just rocks. Btw- some of you may or may not like him but look into a guy named Rufus Wainwright. He has that same catchy style with a very distinctive voice. He plays piano and guitar.

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
Unfortunately, 2 million of those were probably girls who fell in love with Your Body is a Wonderland.
It's funny, because I bought the album after seeing "No Such Thing" on VH1. I saw the cd on sale at Best Buy for 6.99, so I price matched at walmart. I loved the entire cd from the get go, especially "Neon, Neon". I listened to the entire album twice and decided from then on to skip "Your Body is a Wonderland" because I thought the vocals were annoying and I didn't like the song much. Wow, next thing I know he's all over the radio and MTV/VH1 with that song and girls are melting left and right.

I still would have picked "Neon, Neon" for the next single.

I think "83" and "3X5" have some of the best lyrics I have ever heard on any album.

Kyle

Wes Larkins

Stunt Coordinator
Im hoping for a reissue of Room For Squares I dont have any of his albums but I have heard all the singles from this album and they are all great, it sounds like this is his best release so far, but I havent got the new SACD Heavier Things yet so we'll see

Sony needs to hurry and release more you would think they would release a lot more and a bigger variety of stuff to get the format going.

W E S

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
but I havent got the new SACD Heavier Things yet so we'll see
Wes, have you confirmed (i.e. actually seen) the SACD? We think it may have been a rumor that became "fact" because no one here has seen or heard of any actual SACD for Heavier Things - not even on Sony's official site, Sony's SACD site, or Mayer's official site.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
The only posting anywhere about this SACD was found on HFR here .

It was posted on August 20th for a September 9th release date, which I felt was relatively late for the first news surrounding this SACD. The poster, Brian Moura, has been known to be a bit over enthusiastic in his SACD news before, so maybe he jumped the gun on this one. The title may come down the pipeline at a later date, but at this point it appears to be strictly vaporwear.

I should probably pick up the CD while it is still on sale for 10 bucks.

J

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The poster, Brian Moura, has been known to be a bit over enthusiastic in his SACD news before, so maybe he jumped the gun on this one. The title may come down the pipeline at a later date, but at this point it appears to be strictly vaporwear.
Justin, Brian has been very accurate on his street dates but there have been pushbacks, and Brian has reported those as well.

I suspect it was psuhed back some, but that's a shame since it was an early "day and date" for Sony.

There is another possibility...in talking to some local managers at Tower and Best Buy, they admit they sometimes have so much inventory to get out on Tuesday (release day) that hirez is sometimes filtered out over the rest of the workweek. Maybe a few retailers are slow. I will check with Tower in Atlanta tomorrow...

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
There is another possibility...in talking to some local managers at Tower and Best Buy, they admit they sometimes have so much inventory to get out on Tuesday (release day) that hirez is sometimes filtered out over the rest of the workweek. Maybe a few retailers are slow. I will check with Tower in Atlanta tomorrow...
I do not think this is the case, as the SACD is nowhere to be found for order online either. Unless the Tower Atlanta has an exclusive on this disc ;)

It is a shame this is another missed opportunity. Just think about all the Mayer fans who might have seen the SACD along side the regular CD, saw that it was a Hybrid and plays as a CD as well having a Hi-res stereo and new multi-channel mix. They get curious, ask about what SACD is, and then buy a new Pioneer Universal player.

As it is, since most sales on new releases occur in the first week, Sony is shutting themselves out to a demographic not familiar with SACD, who will not repurchase another disc of the same material so close to the release date only to get a Hi-res format they cannot play at home. Like I said, truly a missed opportunity.

J

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
My WalMart doesn't even have the cd yet. :angry:

From what people are saying about the album, I wish Sony had tried to put out a couple more singles from RFS and not rushed Jon to put out another album so fast. I can think of at least 2 more songs that could have been singles. Oh well, another wasted opportunity.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Umm, I don't know how to say this without sounding like a complete jackass, but this album is growing on me!:b

I think I may have jumped the gun by posting my impressions after only one listen, especially in the car...my bad! :frowning: The day after the release, I ended up taking the CD home and playing it in my system and a buddy of mine who is a big JM fan thought it was awesome. Not only did it sound better (and yes, the volume is JACKED on this thing), it appealed to me more. Don't get me wrong, it is no RFS, but it's not as mediocre as I had originally thought. I'm really digging Clarity, Bigger, Something's Missing, Daughters, Only Heart and Wheel.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
As it is, since most sales on new releases occur in the first week, Sony is shutting themselves out to a demographic not familiar with SACD, who will not repurchase another disc of the same material so close to the release date only to get a Hi-res format they cannot play at home. Like I said, truly a missed opportunity.

RobBenton

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that this album is growing on me the more I listen to it but it still is in many ways inferior to his first album.. It is not a bad album though by any means.. I think just less then he is capable of.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully the delay is due to the retooling process for Hybrid SACDs so there are no more *spindle cracks*!

If that's the reason for the delay I'll happily repurchase this on SACD. If there are spindle cracks... :angry:

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
So they super squashed the cd. Great. I'm so sick of over-compression. I suppose the redbook layer of the SACD will have the same over-compressed mess on it.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hang on to some hope, Kyle. wasn't Norah's redbook layer of the SACD different from the standard CD? I remember a lot of people saying her CD was "hot" (I suppose the same/similar thing that Mayer's is) and that the SACD/CD layer was more balanced.

I have the Norah SACD (can only listen to CD layer as an SACD player is about 6 months away) and think it to be a very well-balanced recording. I'll buy the Heavier Things SACD when it comes out and compare the two. I'll post what I find here.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I'll buy the Heavier Things SACD when it comes out
I'm all over this when it comes out. I haven't taken this CD out of my player since I first trashed it in the beginning of this thread! :b Seriously, it simply requires a lot more time to let it grow on you than RFS did.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks