Who's buying Real Genius today!?!?!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric_R_C, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Eric_R_C

Eric_R_C Second Unit

Dude, I am so at Best Buy right after work today! I've never seen this in widescreen. The last I heard, this DVD wasn't going to be out for 3-4 years. So much for internet rumours.
    Except for Firefox, this pretty much completes my GOT TO HAVE BEFORE I DIE list. This movie and Star Wars:OT are the reasons I'm trying to purchase a laserdisc player.
    Oops, I forgot about To Live and Die in L.A., but that's coming soon [​IMG]

2. Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester Supporting Actor

I'm more excited about this release than Black Hawk Down. Best Buy, here I come [​IMG]

3. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

I got mine from Deepdiscoutdvd.com on Sat and already watched it. The anamorphic transfer is very good (considering the age and budget). I am saddened at the complete lack of extras, but this is such a good movie, it was worth the price. I would highly recommend this as a blind purchase to anyone who is a fan of 80s movies.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

It'll REALLY be blind once you look at that cover [​IMG]
    Sniff, everyone either didn't order it or is sold out of RG around here ;(
    Have to wait till Thurs [​IMG]

5. Eric_R_C

Eric_R_C Second Unit

Jay, your website idea is interesting, but that's not the greatest picture of Han. Worst case, we see that on the DVD cover, like Real Genius [​IMG]

6. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I got it yesterday [​IMG]
    This is a great little movie and I'm very happy to have it on disc. I'm tempted to put a paper bag over the cover though.

7. Jason Borchers

Jason Borchers Second Unit

I really want it -- I love love love this movie -- but I don't like the idea of paying $20 for a completely featureless DVD. A film this important deserves tons of extras.

If MGM owned this film, the DVD would probably be a fully-loaded special edition, and would only cost $10. I think I'll wait for Columbia to drop the price before picking this up.

8. Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford Screenwriter

"Its a moral imparative"

9. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I had to buy it at $20, I've been waiting for this disc for so long. I agree Jason, I wish MGM would have had the rights to this one. Look what they did with Killer Klowns and UHF. BTW, my other three purchases today were all MGM...The Manhattan Project, Men At Work and UHF. Will be going back to Best Buy Friday to pick up Buffy Season 2.

10. Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester Supporting Actor

11. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

A catalog title like this is why I still pre-order certain DVDs.

I got mine for $16.22 from DVD Empire and didn't have to worry about Best Buy not having it on release day.

Mine arrived today and I didn't even have to leave my house for it (and I paid less, too!).

12. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Does anyone who has the LD also have a scanner? If so, if someone could produce a high quality scan of the semi-original cover art on the LD, I'll be more than happy to create a custom cover for the DVD.
    I love this movie and wanted to create a custom cover for it before it even came out, similar to the Better Off Dead cover I made, but finding the source pics for Real Genius has been really difficult.
    Please let me know via email.
    [email protected]
    Thanks!

13. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

My Best Buy was sold out, too! [​IMG]
    4 copies, all gone! [​IMG]

14. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I'll get it when I get the money. I really love this movie and always watch it when it's on TV. Too bad the disc won't have much extras, but at least I'll have it in it's OAR.

15. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

This was on my list of three titles to purchase today, and luckily my local CC had 5 copies in stock at 4pm!!!

Kinda expensive for such a bare-bones edition, though...

16. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Ah, there are fans! Too many, since I was too late to pick one up at Best Buy. All were sold out. Looks like I'll have to wait anxiously for the free media mail through Deep Discount Dvd, for ~$17.

17. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

I picked up what I thought was the last copy at BB last night. Apparently, this guy who came in right after me was interested in it, too, because he kept following me through the DVD section after that, eyeing my copy. I took a quick, haphazard route through both DVD & VHS, and the guy stayed on my tail, always making sure he was on the side that I was holding Real Genius on, like he was trying to get up the nerve to swipe it. I then took a leisurely stroll through the DVD section, switching my copy from side to side as I went--which resulted in him going down the next aisle to be on the same side each time I switched it. It was oddly disconcerting and amusing at the same time. Finally, in the drama section under "L", there was another copy near the bottom of the shelf. The guy gave me a funny look, grabbed that copy, then hurried to the registers. The rest of my shopping trip was uneventful, but my wife was thrilled when I brought the movie home.

18. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

19. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

I pre-ordered mine at Deep Discount DVD, but they must have run out because yesterday the rest of my order shipped, but Real Genius was backordered! I immediately cancelled the DDD backorder and called my local Best Buy. They only had 2 copies in stock, so I asked them to hold one for me (which they did). When I got there to pick it up, the other copy had already been sold, so I'm glad I called! I think a lot of retailers underestimated the demand for this classic 80s teen comedy. Even though it is a bare-bones release, I am so happy to finally have this film in my collection. I can't wait for Better Off Dead to join it on my shelf later this summer!

20. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

I wanted it, but there is no way in hell I'm dropping $20 on a catalog title. $9.99 sure thing. For $15 I'd consider it. $20 = STAYING ON WISH LIST.